Archived calling out question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just lost my Dog yesterday morning after 14 years. I was very upset and didn't want to work tonight. So I asked this girl if she would cover my shift, she said yes. So I called them today, told them about my Dog and that I wouldn't be coming in but that this girl would be covering my shift for me and all was fine.

She texts me an hour ago saying "Apparently it wasn't in their system that i was covering your shift so it's considered you as a call out and they're not happy."

Does that sound right? I thought as long as you got a body and someone to cover you, it doesn't count against you as a call out. I'm very upset and now angry and I just want to get some clarification before I burst in there, flip out and lose my job. Any advice you guys give will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

If you have someone agreed to cover your shift, it has to be approved by the LOD. You should have put your name in the swap shift and have the girl write her name saying she is covering your shift and then, you should notify and have the LOD sign it off. Just saying this girl will be covering your shift when you called out, that won't do. My guess is they need the paperwork.

Normally whenever I need coverage, I do the swap board, but these were special circumstances. I spoke to the LOD today and let him know over the phone and thought they would input it into the system.

I've had that happen, (friend cant go in, I offer to take it for her, I show up and tell the LOD what the deal is, they enter their numbers to let me clock in and it's fine) however, we've been told if it's not signed off on in the swap and the other person doesn't show up it is considered our shift that we did not show up for. I've never had an issue where it was covered and was still an issue. Probably a case where it's up to your LOD. Next time you go in I'd ask them to get their story and mention that you called and told them ahead of time that the other person was coming in for you.

We don't even have a swap shift board anymore. I often swap shifts with one of the other electronics TMs since he hates closing and I hate opening and usually one of us just tells the LOD that we're switching and they're like "yeah sure ok I will put it in the system" they never do. He just shows up the next day in the morning and they're like "??? why are you here ???" "kaitii and i switched we told the lod last night" "oh ok just hit start meal" it's p much gotten to the point where we do let the LOD know, but no one even questions it when we show up for a different shift. They just want it covered. ASANTS tho

Yeah I mean I called at 1:30 in the afternoon, the shift didn't start until 10pm. Plenty of time if you ask me.

Sorry for the loss of your dog, they are family.

It was nice of you to try and get a replacement for your shift, but, honestly, that's not your job unless you have a day or more advance notice. If something happens at the last minute, and you need to call out, then just call out. From the start time, I'm assuming you are overnight Flow, so the store had plenty of time to find someone else if they wanted to.

I started on Flow and if I were sick, I usually knew I wouldn't be able to make it in that morning and would call them by 10A. That gave them 12 hours notice and enough time to try and find someone if they wanted to.

I've found that it is not wise to take LODs on their word. Even the best of them can forget about s phone call during a busy day. Then, of course, there are the ones who are just idiots.

Sorry for the loss of your dog, they are family.

It was nice of you to try and get a replacement for your shift, but, honestly, that's not your job unless you have a day or more advance notice. If something happens at the last minute, and you need to call out, then just call out. From the start time, I'm assuming you are overnight Flow, so the store had plenty of time to find someone else if they wanted to.

I started on Flow and if I were sick, I usually knew I wouldn't be able to make it in that morning and would call them by 10A. That gave them 12 hours notice and enough time to try and find someone if they wanted to.

I've found that it is not wise to take LODs on their word. Even the best of them can forget about s phone call during a busy day. Then, of course, there are the ones who are just idiots.

Why you always make sure you remember who you talked to, cause how would you know that if you didn't call in? Yeah exactly..

And when I put my dog down I took three days off without notice(it was a shock emergency and we did a bucket list for him). I honestly didn't give two shits who covered my shifts.. My kid was dying..

OP make sure you get the name of the LOD who said that it wasn't in the system so you can toss the blame back on the other LOD who was to lazy to note it or change it in MyTime.. Cause that is just rude.. I got one snarky comment when my dog passed, I can tell you that person has never looked in my direction again.. Which makes it akward cause it is a TL. It's been a few months and she still won't look at me.. It works for me, she is a useless..

You can also use your phone records to show who you called and the date/time of the call.

It needs to be on the swap shift board. It needs documentation to have a paper trail. The LOD might thought it was ok. But the other ETLs need to know it as well.

I know that's what's supposed to happen in an ideal situation. I've swapped shifts many times through the board. But this was an obvious emergency, special circumstances, and I STILL got them a body...so I just don't understand where the problem lies.

I know that's what's supposed to happen in an ideal situation. I've swapped shifts many times through the board. But this was an obvious emergency, special circumstances, and I STILL got them a body...so I just don't understand where the problem lies.

Cause they are just being an asshole. Remind them next time you won't bother being responsible, cause you got in trouble for doing the right thing. They made it clear that responsible behavior will be punished so why bother?

Don't worry about them, go grieve your pup. I am sorry, it hurts.

Thanks everyone for the responses and advice. I worked last night and no one said anything to me. Good thing too, I was ready to knock heads together lol

I am so sorry for your loss :(. Losing a pet is very hard. I recently lost my dog after having her for 16 years. I know at my store if you tell the LOD or ETL something, they forget 99% of the time. Hang in there, maybe if you go to a shelter you will fall in love with a dog there. That's what I did.

Thank you very much. Yes it's very hard, house is very quiet without her. I will eventually rescue another pup, but feel I need some time to mourn first. Thanks for the response.

They did it on purpose. Spot leaders enjoy tearing down a TMs work status.

Thank you very much. Yes it's very hard, house is very quiet without her. I will eventually rescue another pup, but feel I need some time to mourn first. Thanks for the response.
Totally. Grief your dog, spot can wait. Theyl be just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back