Archived Calling out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, I just called out and got a ton of questions: are you going to make it at all, or the whole day? Can you get a doctor's note?

First of all, I don't call out unless I'm sick. Period. I'm an adult. I know when I'm sick. Don't be patronizing.

Second, I'm the hardest working Hardlines person you have, bar none. I wouldn't call out unless I'm actually sick.

Third, do you want me to come in and infect everyone? I mean, I can if you want me to, but I'd rather not.

Just be glad I gave you 90 minutes notice, for crying out loud!
Hey i forgot to tell you to shut up when you posted. Shut up.

I always call out like 20 mins before my shift since I usually open. They aren't going to call anyone before 10am anyway. It's their fault for under scheduling
When you do things like that and have that kind of attitude, you're going to get shitty hours and workloads. Any leadership worth their salt wouldn't invest payroll into someone with a poor work ethic and a bratty teenager's attitude.

After working for the lovely red demon for 14 years now they have all of a sudden started asking a million questions when you call out and have started requesting doctors notes. I was always told they can’t ask for a doctors note unless you’ve been out for 3 consecutive days, but even when I spent a week in the hospital they didn’t ask for a note. I thought because of HIPPA rules they weren’t allowed to ask so many questions. Is this just my store being a tool bag or some new company rollout?

1. Whoooaaaa, this is a huge breach of company policy, and I'm not even HR. While asking for a doctor's note is done in some companies, the legality of this varies widely between states. I believe in California (I might be wrong on the state), this is illegal to do. Fun fact for inclusion, labor laws in general vary widely between states.

If a team member willingly volunteers a doctor's note, my leadership team often takes that into consideration. Still, I'm going to second @HRZone in hotlining the complaint. Whomever is asking for a doctor's note and how they are going about in doing so has the potential to open Target up for lawsuits.

2. HIPAA*
I'm not sure if that is a real violation or not as that typically only applies to physicians, etc. I'd read over that law to be sure, but I wouldn't even mention that.

When you do things like that and have that kind of attitude, you're going to get shitty hours and workloads. Any leadership worth their salt wouldn't invest payroll into someone with a poor work ethic and a bratty teenager's attitude.
Well you clearly didn't read the post

If you in at 8, and can't call out the night before, when the fuck are you supposed to call out when you're sick

Leaders schedule who can work and when. What time you called out is irrelevant. I call out sick if i am sick 20 minutes before my shift and still get 4o hours a week

Hope often are you sick? The way you're typing it sounds like you have a pattern.
Not often at all. My last call out a week ago was like my first in over a year and a half

However I'm not going to wake up at 5am to call out for no reason. If you're in after noon sure, but calling out 6am isn't reasonable when you're sick. Who cares if they can't get anyone else come in. What time you call doesn't change anything for an opening shift

That's not my schedule, I'm a BRTM hence all my Backroom related posts LMAO. I gave you my nickname, not my real name. People from my store will know it

That's not my schedule, I'm a BRTM hence all my Backroom related posts LMAO. I gave you my nickname, not my real name. People from my store will know it

So there is another John B, at the store number you gave me who used to be in backroom but got moved to market.

But that isn't you... Right ;)

You're digging your hole deeper my friend.

OH SHIT! THIS IS GOOD SHIT!
tenor.gif

Wow.

Anyway, to be fair, it's January. Hours are tight and you don't have the cushion that you had at the end of last year. Sometimes one call out can have a pretty hefty impact on the day. Your LODs might just be making sure you are really sick and not just calling out because you feel like it (not saying you are, but the reality is there are people that do it).

So there is another John B, at the store number you gave me who used to be in backroom but got moved to market.

But that isn't you... Right ;)

You're digging your hole deeper my friend.
Going by my Sunday shift apparently there is lmao

Like I said, I'm a brtm. Never have been a market tms. I wouldn't make a recent thread talking about returns to stocks if i was market

I know it upsets you that someone that someone that doesn't particularly care about their job or co-workers gets 40 hours but face reality lol

Last edited:
I thought because of HIPPA rules they weren’t allowed to ask so many questions

No. Target is not bound by any HIPAA rules, as they are not in the business of handling healthcare data. CVS is, but even that doesn't extend to asking people why they're calling in. It's not illegal to ask questions about someone's health when they call in sick. Where it gets into potentially illegal territory is if the reason you're calling is related to a disability protected by the ADA, where they're constrained to ask about things that are job-related and relate to business matters, such as "when are you coming back?"

HIPAA would also dictate if they took doctors notes and kept them they would have to have privacy procedures and a secure place to keep that information.

In terms of calling out, it also could be one of those days when 2 or 3 or 4 or more team members in your same area have already called out and the LOD has been instructed to try to talk anyone calling out, into not calling out or at least coming in for part of the shift.

Two years back I had to flu and was going to try to come in after calling out for 3 days but as I got ready, I realized I wasn't going to be able to make it through the shift. LOD talked me into coming in for 4 of my 6 hrs. On my way from the car to the time clock, I had to sit and rest 3 times. The first hour was ok. Then I started sweating profusely and the room was spinning. I asked to take my break. I sat on a bench in the coat room. I decided I needed to lay down so I laid down on the floor in the coat room and cooled my head on the cold tiles. I think I passed out/fell asleep for a few minutes. I splashed water on myself and made it back to the floor. My TL took one look at me and said are you still here- I thought you went home 15 minutes ago. I said I'd love to and clocked out. Sometimes when you are sick you are sick and you can't let Target try to talk you out of it.

CVS is, but even that doesn't extend to asking people why they're calling in.

Off topic, but I've always wondered why you can call or go to the pharmacy on behalf of someone else and the staff will discuss everything with you - what the medicine is for, what other prescriptions the person has on file, things like that - and all you have to do is give the person's name and birth date to get all that information.

Wonder wht your ETL Jennifer thinks of your attendance?

If you in at 8, and can't call out the night before, when the fuck are you supposed to call out when you're sick

Leaders schedule who can work and when. What time you called out is irrelevant. I call out sick if i am sick 20 minutes before my shift and still get 4o hours a week
What time does flow start at your store? Surely it can't be 8?
You don't need the store to be open you just need an ETL present, at my store there's always someone here before 8.

I know it upsets you that someone that someone that doesn't particularly care about their job or co-workers gets 40 hours but face reality lol

There's really no need to go bragging about the 40 hours. So you found a position where you can be apathetic and apparently still be valued. Good for you, I guess..? But try to keep in mind that there are lots of people on this forum struggling to keep food on the table. Show a little humanity.

Off topic, but I've always wondered why you can call or go to the pharmacy on behalf of someone else and the staff will discuss everything with you - what the medicine is for, what other prescriptions the person has on file, things like that - and all you have to do is give the person's name and birth date to get all that information.

It's possible the rules apply differently to pharmacies, or if reality intrudes. If I am not well enough to go in to pick up a medication I would want them to be able to tell my husband anything I needed to know. It could be a significant hardship for pharmacies not be able to share critical information like that with a person picking up a prescription for someone who isn't able to be there themselves. Yes, there are security risks, there, but I have to think those are far more rare than friend or family member picking up needed medication for someone who can't do it themselves.

Wonder wht your ETL Jennifer thinks of your attendance?
That's not my ETL. My ETL is a dude

What time does flow start at your store? Surely it can't be 8?
You don't need the store to be open you just need an ETL present, at my store there's always someone here before 8.

There's really no need to go bragging about the 40 hours. So you found a position where you can be apathetic and apparently still be valued. Good for you, I guess..? But try to keep in mind that there are lots of people on this forum struggling to keep food on the table. Show a little humanity.
they start at 6

My point wasn't to brag. I understand the struggle. My point was that HR has the wrong person.

He's not getting 40 hours notice he only showed his schedule for one day

Because I have always wanted to be a cop, I did my own detective work on @jb08045. I can confirm that jb08045 is a male and works in the backroom. His last name doesn't start with a B and the store number he gave us is a digit off. My advice is to not use the same name in the breakroom on any social media. Just to prove Im not blowing smoke, nice white cat you have :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back