Archived Calling out

Status
Not open for further replies.
After working for the lovely red demon for 14 years now they have all of a sudden started asking a million questions when you call out and have started requesting doctors notes. I was always told they can’t ask for a doctors note unless you’ve been out for 3 consecutive days, but even when I spent a week in the hospital they didn’t ask for a note. I thought because of HIPPA rules they weren’t allowed to ask so many questions. Is this just my store being a tool bag or some new company rollout?

Definitely not a company wide. My store used to ask on a constant basis, now they can't seem to bother or even care who calls out.

It's none of their business. If you're calling out you're calling out. Tell them you don't feel good or whatever your issue is then they should say ok and that's the end of the call.

Legally they actually can. Not details but whether or not you are able to perform your job duties.

Always be vague. "I'm sick." End of story.

After working for the lovely red demon for 14 years now they have all of a sudden started asking a million questions when you call out and have started requesting doctors notes. I was always told they can’t ask for a doctors note unless you’ve been out for 3 consecutive days, but even when I spent a week in the hospital they didn’t ask for a note. I thought because of HIPPA rules they weren’t allowed to ask so many questions. Is this just my store being a tool bag or some new company rollout?
I dont see why they cant ask for proof of what you are claiming is keeping you from work. It’s, reasonable.

Last edited:
I dont see why they cant ask for proof of what you are claiming is keeping you from work. It’s, reasonable.

Not if you're calling out just once because of a stomach bug or a bad cold or something where you don't need to waste time & money on a doctor you just need a couple days of rest.

3+ days, sure, but it sounds like the OP is having issues with the actual policy not having been enforced previously but now store is trying to enforce a stricter policy than Target actually has.

But, they could also just say if you call out more than 3 days you're fired and not even give you the chance to provide a doctor's note. Requiring a note for calling out one or two days is not reasonable.

That's the difference between retail and so many other jobs.
I've been sick for two weeks.
When I said I was going to come back, my boss said not to come back till next week and I had to get a note from doctor saying that I was well enough to work.
I'm lucky I'm in a union that makes sure I have plenty of sick days so this isn't going to hurt me bill paying wise but it is kind of weird to have people demand that you get well before they will let you come back to work.

Not if you're calling out just once because of a stomach bug or a bad cold or something where you don't need to waste time & money on a doctor you just need a couple days of rest.

3+ days, sure, but it sounds like the OP is having issues with the actual policy not having been enforced previously but now store is trying to enforce a stricter policy than Target actually has.

But, they could also just say if you call out more than 3 days you're fired and not even give you the chance to provide a doctor's note. Requiring a note for calling out one or two days is not reasonable.
This store might have an attendance issue. This TM might have past infractions with attendance.... the truth , oh the truth...

Seriously, I just called out and got a ton of questions: are you going to make it at all, or the whole day? Can you get a doctor's note?

First of all, I don't call out unless I'm sick. Period. I'm an adult. I know when I'm sick. Don't be patronizing.

Second, I'm the hardest working Hardlines person you have, bar none. I wouldn't call out unless I'm actually sick.

Third, do you want me to come in and infect everyone? I mean, I can if you want me to, but I'd rather not.

Just be glad I gave you 90 minutes notice, for crying out loud!

Well to be fair 90 minutes isn't that much notice. It's supposed to be at least 2 hours....more if possible.

If I were that sick, I'd be calling out the minute the store opened or the night before (if I was opening).

Well to be fair 90 minutes isn't that much notice. It's supposed to be at least 2 hours....more if possible.

If I were that sick, I'd be calling out the minute the store opened or the night before (if I was opening).
Depends on the shift. If you have an opening shift and you have been sick all night, it can be really hard to get out of bed 2+ hours before opening to call out.

Isn't it call within 2 hours of your shift starting? (Start at 7AM, must call before 9AM)

Also how can you call out 2 hours in advance if your scheduled to start at 6 and people first arrive at the store at 530?

Either call the night before if you know by then or just call at 5:30/6am.

They want you to call at least 2 hours prior so they can try to call someone in to cover your shift. But they aren't calling anyone at 6am anyways

Seriously, I just called out and got a ton of questions: are you going to make it at all, or the whole day? Can you get a doctor's note?

First of all, I don't call out unless I'm sick. Period. I'm an adult. I know when I'm sick. Don't be patronizing.

Second, I'm the hardest working Hardlines person you have, bar none. I wouldn't call out unless I'm actually sick.

Third, do you want me to come in and infect everyone? I mean, I can if you want me to, but I'd rather not.

Just be glad I gave you 90 minutes notice, for crying out loud!
What infectious disease do you have?

Our store LOD just asks some basic questions when someone calls out, unable to make their shift: 1: are YOU sick? 2: is your child sick? 3: Transportation? 4: Personal. There's no "harassment" just a simple answer to any one of those possibilities. It's then "logged" onto the LOD paperwork/closing email for reference.

I always call out like 20 mins before my shift since I usually open. They aren't going to call anyone before 10am anyway. It's their fault for under scheduling

I always call out like 20 mins before my shift since I usually open. They aren't going to call anyone before 10am anyway. It's their fault for under scheduling

You're going to be late or callout no matter what. We looked you up, your attendance sucks so your store keeps giving you crappy shifts

You're going to be late or callout no matter what. We looked you up, your attendance sucks so your store keeps giving you crappy shifts

Its funny that you gave me attitude for being rude and unhelpful last week, yet I see you doing it all the time. Maybe you should take your own advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back