Archived calling the hotline

Status
Not open for further replies.
What can you all tell me about calling the hotline? More things have come to light recently and my store is NOT headed in a direction I am comfortable with. This is not what Target is supposed to be about. I'm seriously considering calling the hotline but I know they won't take it seriously if they know it's me, plus our HR has apparently been told by our STL NOT to address an on-going situation of sexual harassment (the ETL-HR is also very buddy-buddy with the person doing the harassing so nothing would be done anyways). I also feel like the sexual harassment situation isn't really my business because it doesn't directly involve me, although I witness inappropriate comments nearly every day I work with the one doing the harassing. So I don't know even know if I should call.

What do? :/

original.jpg

Waste of time. If they find out who did call ... Well, do know what retaliation is?

Something would have to rise to the level of calling the police before I would ever use that hotline.

It would honestly have to be that serious before I would do anything.

Is there any way they would know it was you if you do it anonymously? Like, are you the only one seeing this harassment to where they could narrow it down pretty quickly?

They always know who calls the hotline. There is nothing anonymous about the hotline. They do an investigation. It is the stl, hr and ap who investigate.

Whenever a report is made on the hotline, a copy of the transcript gets sent to the DTL and STL.

If there is a situation that does not involve you or you were not witness to then there is no reason to report anything.

Anonymous? I have seem them interview/interrogate/ grill people individually to find out who called.

And there is the retaliation aspect. You'll be dead to the person you call about unless they are fired.

For me to call that hotline, I would have to have video/audio proof and two other corroborating witnesses that something illegal/criminal was taking place.

And then, I wouldn't call that wasted hotline, I'd get one of those other people to call the police.

You are asking for trouble at work by using it. Stay under the radar.

As someone who works in HR(not at Target), I feel a many TM frustrations. I literally have to research on my own questions!

There are good reasons to call the hotline but you have to willing to take the heat.
It has to be a situation where there is little else you can do and You Have To Have Your Duck In A Row.
Write everything down ahead of time, make sure you know everything you are going to say, names, dates, times, places, who, what, when, where, why.
Leave out any emotion and make sure you can answer their questions clearly and completely.
If you don't know the answer to a question, say that don't hem and haw because you're afraid it'll change things.
Get information from them.
Get their name, a case number, and confirmation that the case will be confidential (they'll be fibbing to you but it puts you in a better position).
Be calm, professional, and take notes.

I have called the Hotline before and would do it again if I felt I needed to. Now, with that being said I will not call the Hotline out of Spite, or anger...or in hopes of getting someone fired. If I do call its because I feel there is a major issue that cant be addressed with the leaders within the building . I don't give my name when I call because we all know that even though Spot doesn't permit retaliation it does happen. So, if its an issue within your store that you feel truly uncomfortable about ....I say call. I will add that I personally think that Spot should actually train their Hr etls to be impartial....and to listen more than they blab about what team members tell them. If they did this...who knows maybe we wouldn't need a hotline....but until that day...I will call and have no issues doing so .

I thought the hotline isn't recorded?
There are good reasons to call the hotline but you have to willing to take the heat.
It has to be a situation where there is little else you can do and You Have To Have Your Duck In A Row.
Write everything down ahead of time, make sure you know everything you are going to say, names, dates, times, places, who, what, when, where, why.
Leave out any emotion and make sure you can answer their questions clearly and completely.
If you don't know the answer to a question, say that don't hem and haw because you're afraid it'll change things.
Get information from them.
Get their name, a case number, and confirmation that the case will be confidential (they'll be fibbing to you but it puts you in a better position).
Be calm, professional, and take notes.

As someone who works in HR(not at Target), I feel a many TM frustrations. I literally have to research on my own questions!
Who do you voice your complaints to if you can't your ETL HR? Our ETL HR gets a lot of complaints from TM's and I don't know who to direct them to. Would it be the DTL? The HR partner? Which would be more effective?

Who do you voice your complaints to if you can't your ETL HR? Our ETL HR gets a lot of complaints from TM's and I don't know who to direct them to. Would it be the DTL? The HR partner? Which would be more effective?

If your ETL HR is a tool you don't have a lot of options.
You can talk to a ETL you trust and hope they have some pull or go to the top.
The STL is about it by that point.

What if you don't have an ETL-HR? Mine quit almost 2 weeks ago, hasn't been replaced yet. We still have a couple of TMs and a TL in HR.

It's not worth it.

Just think of all the time and work you're going to have to put in to call the hotline. Do you really want to have to bust your butt to do all of that crap?

Just accept defeat and move on.
Unless you're dying or seriously injured, it's not worth it.

I have gone to the STL. I think they have had multiple people in this position over the last 5 years!
I have combed over the handbook many times.

The person doing the harassing makes no effort to hide it, and I'm not even the only person thinking about calling the hotline because of it. There are MANY witnesses to it. Because of the roles of all the people involved, I doubt the person being harassed would ever call. The person doing the harassing already hates me so I don't give the first fuck about that. If they find the allegations to the true, that person would probably be termed, due to past CCAs and finals.

The situation just makes me very uncomfortable because it's SO overt and it's even over the walkie sometimes. It's never that explicit but it's constant little things every single day they work together. Maybe I could get a guest to complain; they always listen to guests.

The ETL-HR is very buddy buddy with the person doing the harassing, so I don't know how "involved" that is. The STL apparently has told them not to do anything about it anyways, so the entire leadership is now useless in all this.

The person doing the harassing usually harasses one person in particular but makes comments towards any attractive TM of that gender. One of them is only 18 and the person doing the harassing is about a decade older. It's messed up.

I suppose I should start documenting anything I observe that seems inappropriate. Should I take any other steps? I know a couple other people have overhead some pretty messed up comments towards the main person being harassed, and one of them is already considering calling the hotline for unrelated reasons.

Like nice butt or nice boobies? I don't see how people like that stay employed at the same place for a long time. A situation like that is when a responsible ETL needs to give a shit and take action. No one should be verbally perved on.

The ETL-HR is very buddy buddy with the person doing the harassing, so I don't know how "involved" that is. The STL apparently has told them not to do anything about it anyways, so the entire leadership is now useless in all this.

The person doing the harassing usually harasses one person in particular but makes comments towards any attractive TM of that gender. One of them is only 18 and the person doing the harassing is about a decade older. It's messed up.

I suppose I should start documenting anything I observe that seems inappropriate. Should I take any other steps? I know a couple other people have overhead some pretty messed up comments towards the main person being harassed, and one of them is already considering calling the hotline for unrelated reasons.

Have each person write down what they say from their perspective and have each person call.
They don't want to be say exactly the same thing, that sound suspicious, but having things written down so that it's clear and concise will make sure Spot understands there is a consistent issue.
If you get names and dates, make sure all the details are covered you might get some results.
This sounds exactly like the kind of problem the hotline was set up for.

Like nice butt or nice boobies? I don't see how people like that stay employed at the same place for a long time. A situation like that is when a responsible ETL needs to give a shit and take action. No one should be verbally perved on.
The other night the person being harassed was at Food Ave buying something, and the harasser came over and was like, "oooh you're buying me dinner?!" Another time the harassee got on the walkie and told the LOD they had "good news" so the harasser got on the walkie and said, "you're taking me on a date?!" It's never anything too terrible, but it's constant (EVERY SHIFT) and this person does it to EVERYONE that is their preferred gender and also attractive. The current count of harassed people, that I know of, includes a cashier, a BRTM, and two APTLs.

The harasser in question also previously dated a TL in our store, although that was AGES ago, like 5+ years ago. This person really just does whatever they want (which usually doesn't include doing their actual job) and does not give a fuck. And is still employed.

I never do stuff like that. If I ever comment on a female team member's appearance, it will be very innocent and non sexual.

I never do stuff like that. If I ever comment on a female team member's appearance, it will be very innocent and non sexual.
That happens to me sometimes and it's totally okay with me. The person in question is SO overt and I know it makes the person in question pretty uncomfortable. Plus they have done this to at least one APTL and I'm pretty sure our last APTL as well. And one of our cashiers, and a BRTM, and probably others too but I only work nights and weekends so I don't see the dayside shit. This person is just out of control and thinks they're untouchable.

Well I've worked there long enough so I know which people are comfortable with compliments. To be honest, if I make a comment on a female team member's hair, I may say "you changed your hair, looks good". That's it. I would never comment on a team member's breasts or butt. Crossing the line when you do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back