Archived Can I get fired for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
so, long story short I have a debit red card, and I had a lot of difficult finanical crap going on and ultimately owe target a crap ton of money because of the late fees. It never occurred to me I could be fired for that, but I was reading through threads (from like three years ago) and people were saying that target could term you for that. It was an honest mistake, I screwed up, I'm in the process of paying them back but now it feels like it's probably too late and I'm having a panic attack.

How do you have late fees on the debit card? Did you overdraft your account or something?

Yeah, basically what happened was I used my card for various purchases and I forgot about my automatic phone bill withdrawal happening the few days before, so I kept thinking I had the money in my account, eventually my card was declined and I was confused, called target and realized I was an idiot. The problem was that I didn't catch the problem in time, and they kept trying to pull from my account which led me to have overdraft fees in addition to what I owed as well as bounce back fees. Target is my only job so I had to wait till I got paid, but then at that point I still didn't have the money to pay them and it's all still a mess

I feel like your chances of getting termed for this are slim to none. For starters you are not stealing money from your store, if anything you are in debt to Targets debit/credit subsidiary in Minnesota.

I am not sure how your job would even find out. Think abut it, when people use red cards at the store we only know if it's declined, we don't know if they are over drafted or not. How would your job find out unless you say something?

That's what I was thinking, but I saw a post in regards to it on here (again from a couple years ago), and didn't think the best idea was for me to go up to the LOD and be like "hey so," I didn't think it was possible for them to see that, given confidentiality but I wasn't 100% sure. It just had me worried because my dad just died and I've been picking up all the shifts and staying late and I really need this job and I would be absolutely heartbroken if my indirect stupidity screwed everything up for me

We have team members who over drafted their Red Card to the point that it was cancelled. They called red card services and set up a payment plan to get caught up. Once they were caught up, the red card was still cancelled and they were not eligible for a new debit Red Card for a full year. If you have the money, you can pay it at the service desk. You should get a letter in the mail with the amount plus the fee. We had a few guests who came in with the letter to pay what the owed.

No, I know. If I had the money I'd just pay them immediately. But I don't have the money and won't have it for at least a month with all of my bills. I'm just worried if it hits collection I'll get termed. It's been a really rough couple weeks.

That's what I was thinking, but I saw a post in regards to it on here (again from a couple years ago), and didn't think the best idea was for me to go up to the LOD and be like "hey so," I didn't think it was possible for them to see that, given confidentiality but I wasn't 100% sure. It just had me worried because my dad just died and I've been picking up all the shifts and staying late and I really need this job and I would be absolutely heartbroken if my indirect stupidity screwed everything up for me

Don't be so hard on yourself, sounds like an honest mistake. The post from the past (if we are talking about the same one) was for someone writing bad checks (not only negligent but a criminal offense if done intentionally)

Again I don't see them terming someone for being bad with money. I can think of many team members at my store who pay off their red card just to fill it again. You're not the only person working here living paycheck to paycheck.

No, I know. If I had the money I'd just pay them immediately. But I don't have the money and won't have it for at least a month with all of my bills. I'm just worried if it hits collection I'll get termed. It's been a really rough couple weeks.

If you can try to pay something even if it's a miniscule amount I think it would show good will.

You're really kind, and I appreciate that very much. It is possible I'm just stressing out because of the outside stuff I have going on. I genuinely have all intentions to pay them back but over the last few times I've spoken with them on the phone they seem unwilling to budge on the date in which it would be moved to collections. Which, I'm fine with it going to collections, I thoroughly understand the reasoning behind it but the very idea of me being termed at this point especially for that, is horrifying and one in which I didn't think was possible.

Totally get it -- when you're in debt, you need your job, sometimes that little paycheck is all we have to look forward to. Keep your head up and keep working hard, if you're barely able to pay your bills pick up where you can. If you make just enough to break even thats not good, check the swap shift board and see if you can add hours. Keep us posted on how things go! Good luck.

The only reason I know about the team members being in the same situation is because they told me about it. I am very sorry about your loss and I hope life is starting to look up for you soon. I am an HR TM and I have access to all of the Team Members information but I can't see know who has a red card and who doesn't. If I had access to the information, I am sure my GSTL would have me check weekly and pester team members without a red card o_O.
I would keep calling red card services until you get a helpful team member on the phone. Some of them are pretty rude. A lot of team members (including myself) and team leaders are living paycheck to paycheck.

I would wave my cock (in a circular direction) at them.

Communication to spot credit services is suggested, as others have stated. Work out a pay plan. Cut back on expenses. Know what your bills are.

You can get fired from spot for not paying on the credit card.

If you are to pay anything to the issuance of Target. Yes you can be written up.

If it is a debit card, I imagine the issue will be with your bank directly. They usually pay out to where you pay, unless you have it blocked on your account to not pay out and have the fees as a result. Don't think Target will fire you because of it, unless it was the credit version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back