Archived Can I get in trouble for using the bathroom before break?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You work in the registers and just run to the bathroom without telling anyone?

No, I would go on downtime. If there was no down time, I'd ask the GSTL to take over for me.

Federal labor law does say they have to pay you if you need to use the bathroom.

Company is liable for refusing to pay employees for bathroom breaks, judge finds

They also can't monitor and penalize you for spending too much time in the bathroom as long as it meets reasonable standards (if you disappear for hours that's another story).

Bathroom Breaks: Can Employers Monitor Your Time? - GovDocs

They also have to provide accommodations if you need to use the restrooms regularly for medical reasons but that is on you to tell them.

The key word here is reasonable. What you're doing isn't reasonable, it's ignorant.

I have a cashier who goes to the bathroom at least 5 or 6 times a shift. It gets annoying after a while but because she's a female I really don't know how to address it. One time I sent a TL in the bathroom behind her just to see and she came back and told me she was facetiming with someone. I was pissed, but because I can't coach I couldn't do anything else other than tell my GSTL and also tell all the other cashiers from on out all cellphones had to be kept in a locker.

^This.
During my GSA tenure, I had a cashier who would regularly have to 'go to the bathroom'.
It happened so much that I waited a few minutes & followed her only to hear her having an animated convo with the boyfriend.
She came out of the stall to find me standing with my arms folded.
I told her to put the cell phone in the locker & I'd better never see it on the lanes again.
This was long before cartwheel & other apps so there was no reason for cell phones on the floor any way.

I think it would depending on if you are sitting on the pot everyday at work and taking super long, if it is every now and than you should be fine... but I REFUSE to take a shit in a public bathroom. it just makes me super uncomfortable and I feel exposed.

I have a cashier who goes to the bathroom at least 5 or 6 times a shift. It gets annoying after a while but because she's a female I really don't know how to address it. One time I sent a TL in the bathroom behind her just to see and she came back and told me she was facetiming with someone. I was pissed, but because I can't coach I couldn't do anything else other than tell my GSTL and also tell all the other cashiers from on out all cellphones had to be kept in a locker.
one of my former co workers was always running to the bathroom. she always had water on her and always had to make some adjustment... or had to put in eye drops... when I covered GSA for breaks and or lunches... ugh.. I found a new respect for GSAs and the shit they put up with and get way underpaid to deal with!

Taking a shit when you need to is unreasonable?

Lol bosses be like

I have had an ETL-HR tell me that if I was not on break when I was using the water fountain, I would be written up for loafing. I then asked if I could have a bottle of water in the electronics boat, and was told I'd be written up for unauthorized liquids. This is the same ETL-HR who, upon being presented with a doctors note for light duty due to a broken rib or two and an injured back, gave me the note back and said "target doesn't do light duty. If you can't do the things we need you to do at the standard everyone else does then don't even bother coming to work."

Last edited:
I have intestinal problems occasionally (not daily) so when I have to go, I tell my GSA or whoever is closest and I get in there and get my business done as fast as possible. If there's a second cashier, I'll tell them so that they know where I am and not freak out.
I wait until there's a lull in guests checking out, and if it's crazy bad, I flip on my light and when the LOD or GSA comes up, I whisper that I gotta poop NOW! That hasn't happened often but everyone is understanding at my store. They're not dicks about any of us using the bathroom as long as we're not texting or watching movies in there.

Gotta admit, I'd never think to sit there and calculate how much money I'd "earned" pooping on company time.

I have had an ETL-HR tell me that if I was not on break when I was using the water fountain, I would be written up for loafing. I then asked if I could have a bottle of water in the electronics boat, and was told I'd be written up for unauthorized liquids. This is the same ETL-HR who, upon being presented with a doctors note for light duty due to a broken rib or two and an injured back, gave me the note back and said "target doesn't do light duty. If you can't do the things we need you to do at the standard everyone else does then don't even bother coming to work."

That's horrible! Sounds like they were looking for a reason to cut hours or get rid of you. Or that ETL is just a total dick.

That's horrible! Sounds like they were looking for a reason to cut hours or get rid of you. Or that ETL is just a total dick.
It's the latter of the two. She hands out CCAs like they're candy on Halloween. So far I've escaped her wrath but you can never be sure with this woman.

Taking a shit when you need to is unreasonable?

Lol bosses be like

No, but spending anything more than is absolutely necessary is unreasonable. If you are spending more than 5 minutes in the restroom, unless you have a health issue, you are wasting time and abusing your right to a bathroom break. Keeping track of the time that you spend on the toilet at work accurately enough to estimate how much money you've swindled by taking extra long bathroom breaks is very much unreasonable and is time theft. You already get a break every couple hours, it's perfectly reasonable for them to expect you to wait until your break to do your business. If it's an emergency there's not much that can be done to stop you, but just make it quick.

I actually got that number from an article on the subject lol. Target doesn't pay enough for it to be that high

Next time try to think of whoever is covering you before you do the deed. If I'm close to my punch out time, I hold it until I punch out unless it's at the point of having poopy pants. If on the clock, I let the first and sometimes 2nd wave of poop out before wiping and heading back up. I never really take a 100% shit at work because those take over 10 to 15 minutes.

Next time try to think of whoever is covering you before you do the deed. If I'm close to my punch out time, I hold it until I punch out unless it's at the point of having poopy pants. If on the clock, I let the first and sometimes 2nd wave of poop out before wiping and heading back up. I never really take a 100% shit at work because those take over 10 to 15 minutes.
No one covers me. I'm a backroom closer

Our sftms pull most guest pulls. Our br is supposed to be closed and the brtms are supposed to pull all items but sftms almost never calls for guest pulls and I don't care enough snitch on people who are helping guest

There may not be anyone directly depending on your speedy return in the case of a backroom closer, but there is always the possibility of another TM needing a guest pull and there is always something that can be done. The backroom is never finished. Instead of spending 20 minutes on your phone in the bathroom that time could be spent on updating an aisle, doing ELA, backstocking the coolers, hell you should even be sweeping the floor if you've finished everything else as a courtesy to the overnight/unload/early morning team.

It totally depends on your work ethic and the leaders in your building. If i know you are someone who always finishes your tasks or closes your area well then i dont care how many breaks you take. If you are someone who consistently struggles i will be watching your every move.

A few years ago I had to have my gall bladder removed. Most people after gall bladder surgery have to deal with what I call the " got to run for the toilet or there will be a mess " runs. Usually, it happens about an hour after eating and sometimes even just drinking something can trigger it . I usually eat very little while at work simply because I don't want to be in the potty multiple times that day. However, even with watching what I eat there are still some days that I may have to go up to three times. I have never had anyone say anything to me about using the restroom. However, I always get in and out asap. I don't sit in there counting up how much money I make by taking a poop on company time .

It totally depends on your work ethic and the leaders in your building. If i know you are someone who always finishes your tasks or closes your area well then i dont care how many breaks you take. If you are someone who consistently struggles i will be watching your every move.
Shouldn't be like that though. Same rules should apply to everyone .

Hmm. No. Your etl/hr sounds like a ....... that should had been a call to the hotline and or labor board .

Shouldn't be like that though. Same rules should apply to everyone .

I don't encourage them to take more breaks or anything like that. I just don't have to watch them as closely so I don't know exactly what they're doing, I just know they finish their work and that is all I care about. If you can't finish your work then you are going to be watched closely because you are obviously not doing what you are supposed to be doing. You are probably taking a 20 minute shit and then a 30 minute lunch as the OP stated which would get you a coaching for "loafing." Especially if I notice it more than once.

^This.
During my GSA tenure, I had a cashier who would regularly have to 'go to the bathroom'.
It happened so much that I waited a few minutes & followed her only to hear her having an animated convo with the boyfriend.
She came out of the stall to find me standing with my arms folded.
I told her to put the cell phone in the locker & I'd better never see it on the lanes again.
This was long before cartwheel & other apps so there was no reason for cell phones on the floor any way.

I think if someone coached off a situation like this they could get in some serious trouble though -- it would be effectively spying on someone in the bathroom, no?

I think if someone coached off a situation like this they could get in some serious trouble though -- it would be effectively spying on someone in the bathroom, no?
I imagine leadership is encouraged to focus on that person and find other things to coach for. Texting at the register, not bringing up REDcards at every transaction, and not zoning/cleaning when they don't have a guest all come to mind, especially the REDcard thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back