Archived Can STL search purses without cause?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been working at Target for nearly 10 years, and this has never happened in our store before. We recently got a new STL and he has been searching the purses of the closing team members before he lets them out of the building.

It hasn't happened to me yet, but everyone in my department is wondering if this is allowed.

They can if they search everyone who is going out.
We had the AP TL do that one time and he searched the bags of everyone going out one day.

I worked at a Big Box Bookstore where they did it every time you left the store, every time.

They can if they search everyone who is going out.
We had the AP TL do that one time and he searched the bags of everyone going out one day.

I worked at a Big Box Bookstore where they did it every time you left the store, every time.
Wal-Mart's are notorious for this. Every bag, every purchase must have a receipt.

I'm used to showing receipts, but we've never had someone paw through everyone's handbags before. I don't remember seeing this in the employee handbook, but the one I had was pretty old.

Not in California they can't. State law, only law enforcement is allowed to search belongings without permission. (And only then with probable cause; and lockers don't count)

Did this change in the last three years?

Can California employers lawfully search contents of employee person, including but not limited to clothing, bags/purses/packs/letters/vehicles for any reason as long as the search is conducted on company property, to include the parking lot?

A: First, there is a huge difference between government and private employers where this issue is concerned. Government is restricted by the U.S. Constitution, 4th Amendment prohibition on unreasonable search and seizure -- whereas private employers are not restricted. I will assume a private employer here.

There is practically no California law on this subject. The small amount that exists, suggests that an employer that notifies employees in advance that their possessions or persons may be subject to search, can do so, because by providing notice, the employee no longer has a reasonable expectation of privacy -- except, for example in locations such as dressing/locker and restrooms, where a clear expectation of privacy exists.

So, the issue must be resolved approximately as that the employer can search, and the employee can quit and thereby avoid a search. A physicial search of a locked vehicle, would almost certainly be unlawful, because the employee has a reasonable expectation of privacy in the vehicle, as long as it is locked on employer property. Similarly, a locked box or bag would be protected, but ultimately, the employer can demand that the employee open the bag, and if the employee refuses, then the employer can terminate the employee. Thus, the employee's rights are secured, but so are the employers.

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/ca-employ...y-search-contents-employee.html#ixzz3YUCI3oG2

Unless you are saying that they can't force the search which is true.
You can quit if you don't want to be searched.

You can sue if you think they are just searching you and nobody else.
They have to at least give the appearance of doing it in a fair and equatable fashion which includes the ETLs thank you very much.

I believe that's technically true, but calls into question some of California's employment laws. Thinking about it, I may be mixing a couple things together.
However, I believe that STL's are limited from doing searches like that by Target policy. I thought that only ETL-AP's (or higher in AP) could do any kind of internal investigations, which that should be considered. At the very least, it doesn't hurt to give the Hotline a call and ask.

It used to say something in the handbook about Target being able to search your personal belongings. No privacy, I know. But, this is retail.

At another store I worked for, everyone who worked there had the right to search all purchases.. Not just showing receipt. I did it all the time after the store manager reamed me a new one for not asking to check his receipt and bags..
Target is much to lax about that (and about many other things). At the other place there was an employee who would fill his cart and walk out. The first time when someone asked him for his receipt, he searched his wallet and said, damn I left it at the contractors desk.. The other employee let him go.. This happened again with a different cashier about a week later.. His downfall was that he didn't realize cashiers talked and they also talked to security.. The third time he did it, he was taken to security then arrested..

It wasn't like he was a slimy guy either..he was a nice helpful guy on the floor. We have no idea how long he had been remodeling his house for free..

There is a difference between searching shopping bags and looking through all of the female employees' purses, though. If it is allowed, I guess we don't have much choice.

I witnessed our former ETL-AP ask an employee to search her bags and purse before leaving. He didn't ask me or anyone else.

Guess she was suspect.

I witnessed our former ETL-AP ask an employee to search her bags and purse before leaving. He didn't ask me or anyone else.

Guess she was suspect.

In our case, it is the STL searching all of the purses every night that he closes.

In our case, it is the STL searching all of the purses every night that he closes.

It's weird that it's the STL, usually the AP TL or ETL handles that kind of thing also like I said, he better be checking everyone and that includes the ETLs.

My AP-ETL wanted us to implement this too but it didn't go over well. I told him I don't have time to search every bag. If you think people are stealing then use the cameras, otherwise I'm not digging through a woman's purse or man's backpack.

We can do it here, MD, but you have to do everyone not just an individual.

If they attempted that with me, I'd load up my purse with every embarrassing feminine item I could think of.
They'd be sorry they ever peeked inside.

Head on over to the 50 Shades of Grey display and buy a bunch of items?
Maybe get a set of handcuffs to go with them?
A mask at the bottom?
Just watching the guys face as he gets deeper into the bag would be priceless.

Buy a wonderful clearance purse at Target and fill it with canned chili or nacho cheese or dump a large bottle salad dressing in the bottom or a combo of the three. The chances of having your purse inspected again would be slim.

"Uh, yeah, my lunch leaked. Sorry!"

I remember AP doing that like twice in the time I worked there and they did do it to everyone, TL and ETL included just to look like they weren't being unfair.

It was a tad bit amusing since I carry a back pack when I ride my bike which includes all the things I think I might need if the dreck hits the fan.
Having lived in a state where the dreck can get pretty deep, this includes things like a complete first aid kit, space blanket, back up meds, mini-machete, ice cleats, fire starter, pads to soak up blood, inner tubes, pump, protein bars, pictures of my kids, sewing kit, rain gear, etc.
I think I blew the poor guys mind when finished unloading.

@rbpr, just make your bag into a complete disaster preparedness kit like @commiecorvus did. Then your STL might think twice. :D

We've done bag and coat checks at other retailers I've worked at in the past, and every once and a while our AP team will do random bag checks for a day, but I think they stopped when they weren't getting any results from it

My AP-ETL wanted us to implement this too but it didn't go over well. I told him I don't have time to search every bag. If you think people are stealing then use the cameras, otherwise I'm not digging through a woman's purse or man's backpack.

We can do it here, MD, but you have to do everyone not just an individual.

Backpack is a little.... wtf..
As well as the STL doing this sounds very weird, I would imagine if something was up, and suspicion was raised, the ETL-AP would be doing it, not the STL.

Situations like this are a little touchy, not so much for actual law reasons, more so from a discrimination standpoint. If your Stl wants to check bags etc, he can, he just can't touch it. Also, he would need to check everyone's bag, and every employee at every close would need to be checked, otherwise it could open up a discrimination suit. As soon as someone calls the hotline one of 2 things will happen.

Everyone will be searched (unlikely)
Noone will be searched (more likely)

Ultimately it doesn't matter, if you aren't stealing.

Edit: Hotline, HOTLINE. Not Holiness. Curse you autocorrect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back