Archived Can Target fire you for having a second job???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't agree that target and amazon are competitors. The two have very little in common. You can't really compare a discount big box store like target to a website like amazon that sells everything.
Amazon most definitely is a competitor to Target. They are 90% of the reason that Target is pushing Target.com so hard. And a fulfilment team member at a Target store working the same position at an Amazon fulfilment center could definitely be seen as a conflict of interest. They could copy confidential business practices or sabotage efforts at one job to favor the other.

Amazon most definitely is a competitor to Target. They are 90% of the reason that Target is pushing Target.com so hard. And a fulfilment team member at a Target store working the same position at an Amazon fulfilment center could definitely be seen as a conflict of interest. They could copy confidential business practices or sabotage efforts at one job to favor the other.

Huge competitior. Not a single meeting goes by at the distribution center without a discussion of us v. Amazon

One of my fellow tms wanted to get a second job at Kohl's and was told no, conflict of interest. He went to a local grocery chain.

Just keep your availability at spot & amazon separate. Amazon can lead to better things for you, like pay & regular hours every week.

The Amazon less than an hour away pays $3/hour more. However, you really hustle there...mandatory.

I don't agree that target and amazon are competitors. The two have very little in common. You can't really compare a discount big box store like target to a website like amazon that sells everything.
Amazon is actually listed as a top competitor against us I work at the D.C. And I'm our meetings they constantly quote and compare figures and statistics of ours to Walmart and amazon

at my store target better by your own job. if not they punish you for it. ive seen many times when its found out a TM has a second job it goes like this:
-TM gets pulled into office ofter huddle.
-they are asked who their primary income is
-they are asked WHERE the other job is.
-then they are suddenly scheduled for shifts during times when they have listed to not be open for working.
-hours get cut
-TM gets frustrated and leaves company
the end!

at my store target better by your own job. if not they punish you for it. ive seen many times when its found out a TM has a second job it goes like this:
-TM gets pulled into office ofter huddle.
-they are asked who their primary income is
-they are asked WHERE the other job is.
-then they are suddenly scheduled for shifts during times when they have listed to not be open for working.
-hours get cut
-TM gets frustrated and leaves company
the end!
Although I don't have the whole story, your side of it seems pretty shitty and I would call the integrity hotline if necessary. That being said when I needed a second job I talked to my ETL HR and told her exactly where I applied and how I was intending to keep Target as main source of income. Many other TMs have second jobs and we don't mess with their availability and schedule.
The reason we accomodate this much is that we can retain talent a lot easier if TMs are not starving, and are able to pay their bills. Also we are not A-holes.
If the second job doesn't interfere with Target, there's in no conflict of interest, your performance is still great, and your attendance is pristine, there should be no reason why Spot should make it harder on you to work 2 jobs.

Last edited:
Although I don't have the whole story, your side of it seems pretty shitty and I would call the integrity hotline if necessary. That being said when I needed a second job I talked to my ETL HR and told her exactly where I applied and how I was intending to keep Target as main source of income. Many other TMs have second jobs and we don't mess with their availability and schedule.
The reason we accomodate this much is that we can retain talent a lot easier if TMs are not starving, and are able to pay their bills. Also we are not A-holes.
If the second job doesn't interfere with Target, there's in no conflict of interest, your performance is still great, and your attendance is pristine, there should be no reason why Spot should make it harder on you to work 2 jobs.

ok example. TM D. D has been with us 6 or so months now. his house mortgage is 1k a month. SO! at the end of the month, both his paychecks leave him with $50 for the entire month. he works 32~40hrs weekly. he gets offered a second job with a warehouse, however its only weekends. so he explains the full ins and outs of his issues to our ETL, more in greater detail than i have explained here, and the ETL responds, "well in retail you cant have no availability on weekends, so thats not going to work for us. so if you take that job, you may not be able continue working here." D is more than a little aggravated. because he cant choose 1 or the other he NEEDS both.

example 2 TM M, M was to be put on the bench, however, M got a second job and said, "i can work until 1pm my new job has me working 2p-10p." they say thats fine. M, normally worked 530a to 230p for flow. new schedule comes out. only scheduled 3 days, the truck days, 6a-10a. when he asked what why he was hours were cut, "you reduced your availability, and there is no 530 to 1 shift .. " which is what the flow TL works, "our shifts are, 6-10, 6-1230, and 6-230. so 6-10 is the shift youre available for." but when he asked why not 1230? "i dont have to answer that." so he called the night before a 2900pc truck, quit, had the last laugh. funny thing is. i got to see the leadership be mad about losing him. so I had the last laugh.

these both have happened within the last 3 months.

ok example. TM D. D has been with us 6 or so months now. his house mortgage is 1k a month. SO! at the end of the month, both his paychecks leave him with $50 for the entire month. he works 32~40hrs weekly. he gets offered a second job with a warehouse, however its only weekends. so he explains the full ins and outs of his issues to our ETL, more in greater detail than i have explained here, and the ETL responds, "well in retail you cant have no availability on weekends, so thats not going to work for us. so if you take that job, you may not be able continue working here." D is more than a little aggravated. because he cant choose 1 or the other he NEEDS both.

example 2 TM M, M was to be put on the bench, however, M got a second job and said, "i can work until 1pm my new job has me working 2p-10p." they say thats fine. M, normally worked 530a to 230p for flow. new schedule comes out. only scheduled 3 days, the truck days, 6a-10a. when he asked what why he was hours were cut, "you reduced your availability, and there is no 530 to 1 shift .. " which is what the flow TL works, "our shifts are, 6-10, 6-1230, and 6-230. so 6-10 is the shift youre available for." but when he asked why not 1230? "i dont have to answer that." so he called the night before a 2900pc truck, quit, had the last laugh. funny thing is. i got to see the leadership be mad about losing him. so I had the last laugh.

these both have happened within the last 3 months.

In the first case it's to management discretion if they want to approve an availability change or not. Target is not required to accomodate an availability change if it doesn't make business sense. Now do I believe they could have tried to find a compromise? Yes, they probably could have but it is not required. If you can't honor the availability you gave when hired then you might have a problem.
Now the second case gets more complicated. I don't know the whole scenario but all I can say is that sometimes it is not possible to make you work a lot with availability limits.
The business needs change and someone's availability might be great for a certain time of the year but not so great for the rest. Example: I have a cashier that is only available 5 days a week, no weekends and only 930am to 2pm. during busy times of the year it works great but other tines ahe only gets 4 hours a week because the need for cashiers changes depending on the week.
Everyone complains about the schedule but only few people know what happens behind the scenes and even fewer know how to make an effective schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back