Archived Can they tell me....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Selezair

Guest Service, Photo, SCO
Can my store team lead or shr me where I can and cannot sit when I am off the clock and out of uniform? I occasionally sit in the dining area for or pizza hut and Starbucks minding my own business on my 3ds while I wait for my ride or my boyfriend to get off and they seem to be threatening to write me up or other people up for me sitting over there.

They have pulled me aside while off the clock a few times, even in street clothes, telling me I have to sit in the break room and I can't be anywhere else. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

-edit, apparently my phone corrected shr to "she tell". What a mean phone.

Last edited:
Can my store team lead or she tell me where I can and cannot sit when I am off the clock and out of uniform? I occasionally sit in the dining area for or pizza hut and Starbucks minding my own business on my 3ds while I wait for my ride or my boyfriend to get off and they seem to be threatening to write me up or other people up for me sitting over there.

They have pulled me aside while off the clock a few times, even in street clothes, telling me I have to sit in the break room and I can't be anywhere else. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
that's insane. at my store they actually encourage us to sit at the starbucks if we want. the only places we cannot sit are anywhere that would make it appear we are on the clock (behind photo lab, behind GS desk). and if you're in street clothes off the clock they 100% cannot tell you what to do more than they would tell any other guest. go to etlhr, or if you don't feel comfortable call the integrity hotline. that's insane.

I hate to admit it, but my hr etl got replaced with a senior hr, and that's it. Also I don't believe the integrity hotline will do any good considering I called them as soon as my stl tried to kick me out of the store when I was talking to an electronics team member (I was off the clock, waiting to clock in) about locating the elusive Nintendo switches. I walked with her to put something away which was on the way to where she needed to go to assist me, and well, I got chewed out.. The hotline said they would file a complaint, and next thing i know they call me back after a few days telling me that he was "concerned I was distracting his team from doing their work."

Also, I did tell him I was walking with her to put something up which was on the way to where she needed to go to assist me. He wanted nothing to do with my explanation.

store when I was talking to an electronics team member (I was off the clock, waiting to clock in) about locating the elusive Nintendo switches

While I hate leadership overstepping their boundaries, they have a point a lot of team members get distracted by off the clock team members. My old store had a girl who would stay 2 hours after her shift bothering Starbucks team members.

You have every right to sit off the clock In cafe and Starbucks quietly but if you are constantly at the counter interacting with employees that's a problem. You know if you are doing the former or the latter

Last edited:
The hotline said they would file a complaint, and next thing i know they call me back after a few days telling me that he was "concerned I was distracting his team from doing their work."

Yeah the hotline is a joke unless you have evidence, people think they are going to fix wrongs but all they do is tell the etl hr and stl someone complained. It's supposed to be anonymous but it's not hard to figure out who complained

I agree with that. I would email the DTL but I don't have her email... I do understand the distracting thing, but I'm only at the counter to get coffee, and I only talk to those sitting with me and I ask them if they are on a break before I do, otherwise my headphones are in and I'm playing my 3ds, on my laptop doing coding, or just listening to music. I stick to myself.

At my store we are not allowed to take our breaks and or lunches at starbucks/food avenue. We were told that if guests see red shirts at starbucks/food ave sitting down...they don't know we are on break and it may look like we don't care about our guests...that we are all just sitting around . Store leadership even went as far as to tell a tm that she couldn't sit at starbucks and wait for her ride ( after work and off the clock) .We also had a tm who would come into work early ORDER a cup of coffee from starbucks sit down and do her homework before clocking in. She was told no...you cant do that. You can order your coffee and take it to the breakroom. When the etl told the tm who was waiting for her ride she could no longer do that ...things got spicy. The tm asked the etl to show her in the handbook where it said she couldn't sit up there. She then went to the stl and asked/told her the same thing. The stl told the tm that she would look into it. The stl later came to the tm and told them they could wait up there and apologized for the misunderstanding. The tm that was told she couldn't drink the coffee she ordered and paid for at starbucks pretty much did the same thing. Stl told her the same thing as the other tm...just do your thing. I partially understand not wanting 10, 000 tms sitting around food avenue and starbucks on break etc. however, If a tm is quietly sitting up there waiting for their ride after work then I don't see the big deal .

Yeah the hotline is a joke unless you have evidence, people think they are going to fix wrongs but all they do is tell the etl hr and stl someone complained. It's supposed to be anonymous but it's not hard to figure out who complained
I agree its not hard to figure out who complained when its a specific complaint . Ie, Mr etl said xyz to a tm . Well Mr etl will know what he said to what tm...so that can be figured out . However ,if its a general complaint then I have seen the hotline work. (If you don't feel safe going to the etl hr and or stl etc). Even if the call/complaint is kicked back to them it also is documented and I know at one time ( not sure if still does) when you called a report was created that went to the dtl, etl hr and stl. So, the stl knew their boss was also aware of the issue so they knew they had to address it one way or another

God some people have no time for real responsibility or things that matter.

giphy.gif

I agree its not hard to figure out who complained when its a specific complaint . Ie, Mr etl said xyz to a tm . Well Mr etl will know what he said to what tm...so that can be figured out . However ,if its a general complaint then I have seen the hotline work. (If you don't feel safe going to the etl hr and or stl etc). Even if the call/complaint is kicked back to them it also is documented and I know at one time ( not sure if still does) when you called a report was created that went to the dtl, etl hr and stl. So, the stl knew their boss was also aware of the issue so they knew they had to address it one way or another

Yeah depends if your dtl has any backbone. Mine jokes to our stl about some of the complaints. Granted they are ridiculous complaints but you wonder if they would ever call one another out unless it's something indefensible like sexual harassment

So it seems like i'm just going to have to bow down to the whims of a tyrant because him and the new hr seem to "agree" that it is what I need to do, even though no other team member has been told that they have to be in the break room when off the clock and out of uniform.

Never heard of that. It's absolutely ridiculous. Do what you want, they can't fire you for it, and if they try to, threaten a lawsuit.

So it seems like i'm just going to have to bow down to the whims of a tyrant because him and the new hr seem to "agree" that it is what I need to do, even though no other team member has been told that they have to be in the break room when off the clock and out of uniform.

If I were in your shoes I would ask a non biased team member what they think. I don't doubt your ETLs are being overzealous and singling you out but another team member can tell you if you are guilty of bothering other TMs while they are working.

I say that because I know team members who do the same thing and are oblivious to the fact they are a distraction.

and they seem to be threatening to write me up or other people up for me sitting over there.

Seem? Well it sounds to me they know they can't do anything so dont assume they are going to write you up. They just don't like it. If you are truly playing your 3ds and not bothering anyone keep doing what you are doing.

I agree with that. I would email the DTL but I don't have her email... I do understand the distracting thing, but I'm only at the counter to get coffee, and I only talk to those sitting with me and I ask them if they are on a break before I do, otherwise my headphones are in and I'm playing my 3ds, on my laptop doing coding, or just listening to music. I stick to myself.
Lol "on my laptop doing coding" wtf dude, too much info , are you 12?

Yeah, I would state your argument, and continue to sit out there. They cannot fire you for that. I'd refuse to sign any type of write up either.

If you are off the clock and out of uniform you're a guest, they can't tell you not to sit in a sitting area?? This is so weird lol i always sat in the food court and just went on my phone waiting for my ride and when people asked if I worked there I said no and they always left me alone

Sit out there and if you get harassed again talk to your etl hr, make sure you document the incident date and time. Yell out "don't tase me bro" as they attempt to kick you out.

Funny lol none of my leaders care at least. Being back in FDC, I usually just take all of my breaks over in food ave and mind my own business. I take my nametag off 90% of the time, the other 10% being I forget. If there's another TM there on break I'll maybe talk to them depending on how buddy-buddy I am with them. I've never had a guest think we weren't on break while sitting in food ave looking at our phones and shit lol.

The only time I can think of was just as I got off my shift and I was walking out and a, unfortunately on the clock TM talked to me for just a second, and a lady asked if we had a Redbox was all. I think the rule of not being able to take breaks in food ave/starbucks is bland, but understandable. It's definitely a rule that you correct if they get upset, but if they just take the discipline you say nothing. Sort of like a dictatorship.

Definitely a rule I frown upon, guests should be able to discern a TM on break in a food/seating area of the store minding their own business, unless they're looking for trouble. My leadership commonly dines and makes food from Food Ave equipment or etc and then eats in a big group in Food Ave... usually after Food Ave closes at 7:30 here.

Can my store team lead or shr me where I can and cannot sit when I am off the clock and out of uniform? I occasionally sit in the dining area for or pizza hut and Starbucks minding my own business on my 3ds while I wait for my ride or my boyfriend to get off and they seem to be threatening to write me up or other people up for me sitting over there.

-edit, apparently my phone corrected shr to "she tell". What a mean phone.
In my store we can not sit at starbucks or the benches outside Pharmacy

Ridiculous! I am laying with my phone on in red & khaki sitting on the bench and most of the time a leader doesn't bat an eye (at guest service) but when some leaders do, they just ask me to go upstairs. Nothing big

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back