Archived Can they tell me....

Status
Not open for further replies.
At my store we are not allowed to take our breaks and or lunches at starbucks/food avenue. We were told that if guests see red shirts at starbucks/food ave sitting down...they don't know we are on break and it may look like we don't care about our guests...that we are all just sitting around . Store leadership even went as far as to tell a tm that she couldn't sit at starbucks and wait for her ride ( after work and off the clock) .We also had a tm who would come into work early ORDER a cup of coffee from starbucks sit down and do her homework before clocking in. She was told no...you cant do that. You can order your coffee and take it to the breakroom. When the etl told the tm who was waiting for her ride she could no longer do that ...things got spicy. The tm asked the etl to show her in the handbook where it said she couldn't sit up there. She then went to the stl and asked/told her the same thing. The stl told the tm that she would look into it. The stl later came to the tm and told them they could wait up there and apologized for the misunderstanding. The tm that was told she couldn't drink the coffee she ordered and paid for at starbucks pretty much did the same thing. Stl told her the same thing as the other tm...just do your thing. I partially understand not wanting 10, 000 tms sitting around food avenue and starbucks on break etc. however, If a tm is quietly sitting up there waiting for their ride after work then I don't see the big deal .
Wonder what the guests think when they see all the ETL's standing in line waiting for their Starbuck's drinks?

At my store we are not allowed to take our breaks and or lunches at starbucks/food avenue. We were told that if guests see red shirts at starbucks/food ave sitting down...they don't know we are on break and it may look like we don't care about our guests...that we are all just sitting around . Store leadership even went as far as to tell a tm that she couldn't sit at starbucks and wait for her ride ( after work and off the clock) .We also had a tm who would come into work early ORDER a cup of coffee from starbucks sit down and do her homework before clocking in. She was told no...you cant do that. You can order your coffee and take it to the breakroom. When the etl told the tm who was waiting for her ride she could no longer do that ...things got spicy. The tm asked the etl to show her in the handbook where it said she couldn't sit up there. She then went to the stl and asked/told her the same thing. The stl told the tm that she would look into it. The stl later came to the tm and told them they could wait up there and apologized for the misunderstanding. The tm that was told she couldn't drink the coffee she ordered and paid for at starbucks pretty much did the same thing. Stl told her the same thing as the other tm...just do your thing. I partially understand not wanting 10, 000 tms sitting around food avenue and starbucks on break etc. however, If a tm is quietly sitting up there waiting for their ride after work then I don't see the big deal .
I also think this is a weak excuse. Whenever I would visit a business and see an employee sitting or eating outside their work environment I always knew they were on break or lunch. Stupid rule.

i spend literally 1-3 hours before my shift sitting in food ave to hang out and no one says anything

also ive been told if i ever felt like coming to work on my day off i can chill in the break room in plainclothes

At my former stores, it was prohibited to sit within the Food Ave area during ones shift hours. Guests had priority for seating. Before/after shift it was ok.

There was an issue at one time where one of my Flow Teams would all eat in Food Ave at the same time and where guests complained.

Last edited:
also ive been told if i ever felt like coming to work on my day off i can chill in the break room in plainclothes

Yeah the breakroom is always fair game. We have a team member whose husband has lunch with her once a week in the breakroom although I'm almost certain that is not best practice

Yeah the breakroom is always fair game. We have a team member whose husband has lunch with her once a week in the breakroom although I'm almost certain that is not best practice
The handbook specifically says non TMs cannot enter TSC/backroom/breakroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back