Archived Can you get fired for not staying later than your scheduled time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They demanded that I stay OT today, but I left when I was scheduled. Can I get disciplined or fired for this?

They demanded that I stay OT today, but I left when I was scheduled. Can I get disciplined or fired for this?
No. Simple answer, no. You are only responsible for shifts on your schedule. Even if you said you would stay late, you can't really get in trouble because you weren't scheduled.

They can't really retaliate by giving you too many hours because you have a max on your hours

Yeah, and they've exceeded my max both this week and next. Which is why I retaliated by refusing to extend my shift every day they asked me this week. Magically, my future week's schedule is back under my max hours.

Yeah, and they've exceeded my max both this week and next. Which is why I retaliated by refusing to extend my shift every day they asked me this week. Magically, my future week's schedule is back under my max hours.
Well technically you could go to HR about that anyways, they can't schedule you over your hours... i deal with it when they schedule me over but if I wanted to I could go to HR sand tell them I'm only working my max

Well technically you could go to HR about that anyways, they can't schedule you over your hours... i deal with it when they schedule me over but if I wanted to I could go to HR sand tell them I'm only working my max

I've been dealing with it too. I am thinking about trying to stay on after the holidays so trying to be a Team player. Not positive, but I want to be given the option, and THEN decide if I really want to stay with Spot.

So I heard this morning that they are going to try and write me up for this. What should I do? Go to hr?

Oh no, I mean he's the one who's going to write me up. Heard it from a TL

There's nothing he can write you up for.

If he does try then your ETL HR should see it first and put a stop to it.

If for some reason it still goes through then I would call the hotline.

If just call the hotline or talk to HR since your TL is texting you work related stuff and your not supposed to do anything work related off the clock without getting paid. Save those text messages.

In order to be written up as a CA it has be approved by HR or above. Screenshot a schedule or make a copy if possible. You have to go through coachings before any write up which goes on record but is not a signed document.

If just call the hotline or talk to HR since your TL is texting you work related stuff and your not supposed to do anything work related off the clock without getting paid. Save those text messages.
I would talk to the HR first before calling the hotline.

While calling the hotline first will probably accomplish the same goal, it could make the HR mad that they weren't approached first.

I think everyone is missing one big point that it’s illegal to force an employee to work overtime. If you are asked to work OT you are perfectly well within your rights to refuse with absolutely zero retaliation or punishment.

I’d bring this up to HR or your direct ETL sooner than later if a TL is giving you grief because of it.

I think everyone is missing one big point that it’s illegal to force an employee to work overtime. If you are asked to work OT you are perfectly well within your rights to refuse with absolutely zero retaliation or punishment.

I’d bring this up to HR or your direct ETL sooner than later if a TL is giving you grief because of it.

He's not being asked for overtime he's being asked to extend a 3-5 hour flow shift. Big difference

No I was "asked" for OT. The way they said it was, "nobody is leaving until this gets finished". The TL said this 10 minutes before my shift was up. I left anyway because my shift was over I was tired and already worked 6 days this week. The original shift was 8 full hours on thanksgiving.

15 minutes after I left the TL texted me, "where did you go, ETL(my direct ETL) is looking for you you're not allowed to leave until everything is finished.

Then I came back to work yesterday and heard several TMs tell me that the ETL said he was going to write me up and that he was pissed I left.

I work in Market FYI.

This is all still kind of up in the air because my direct ETL isn't here this weekend

It's also worth pointing out that several other market TMs left when I did but I'm being singled out supposedly because, "they didn't know that we had to stay".

Got it. I don't think he's going to write you up. Again sounds like an empty threat. Some leaders do that in a manipulative way but what can he wrote you up for? Lol

It's not illegal to mandate overtime. At least not on the federal level. State-by-state laws may vary however.

No I was "asked" for OT. The way they said it was, "nobody is leaving until this gets finished". The TL said this 10 minutes before my shift was up. I left anyway because my shift was over I was tired and already worked 6 days this week. The original shift was 8 full hours on thanksgiving.

15 minutes after I left the TL texted me, "where did you go, ETL(my direct ETL) is looking for you you're not allowed to leave until everything is finished.

Then I came back to work yesterday and heard several TMs tell me that the ETL said he was going to write me up and that he was pissed I left.

I work in Market FYI.

This is all still kind of up in the air because my direct ETL isn't here this weekend
Okay just to clarify, did you actually tell your TL that you weren't staying late? If you didn't say no, they may have took that as a yes that you were willing to stay. The ETL may have been under the impression you agreed to stay but left anyway. Communication isn't always the best at Target.

If you did actually say no then they have nothing on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back