Archived can you get fired or coached for being too slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just got a 5th softlines team lead in the 3.5 years I've been at the store and she's by far the worst one we've had. She has a bad attitude and wants to be a drill sergeant so bad she thinks this is the straight up military. So I've only worked with her 3 times and every time she has tried to assign some unrealistic amount of work in my last few minutes. Today I had 30 minutes left and she told me to finish working out my 3 tier of go backs from the fitting room and then go sort out "at least 2 carts" of the unsorted crap left in the fitting room. I just say I'll try my best but then she gets mad when she sees it doesn't happen. She has no clue how long work takes and just throws random numbers out for when she wants things done. One of the other team leads that we had gave me 2 official coachings in a week for not working out z racks fast enough. I'm afraid this one is going to start coaching me too when I'm not doing anything wrong. I was thinking about asking her to show me where in my core roles it specifies an exact time for go backs and then show me camera footage of how I'm not complying.

There is no exact time for pushing z bars. It depends on the organization of it anyways. Ask her for tips on how to improve your speed, that is in your core role.

You totally can be fired for being too slow. I've seen it happen. But typically the slow ones that are axed aren't even trying, in my experience. The ones who try their hardest but are still slow sometimes just get transferred to a different department, at least that's the case at my store. But not always...I've seen people who are clearly trying, but just suuuuuuck, and they get dropped like a baby.

The next time she jumps your shit ask with total politeness and in complete earnest if she could please demonstrate the methods by which you should accomplish the task she has
assigned in the time she has asked.
Because you really want to learn and don't want to be set up to fail.

Yes, I was commented on my Zrack by a team lead at staying in one place too long. Some operators make comments as well. Your definitely timed on tasks. I was also replied to by a TM that your only ONE person pertaining to Zracks and fitting room sort! More than not it's trying to push you to do more work. More than not it's picking up other TM's slack or the TL's lack of ability to recognize on point when tasks need to be delegated in a timely manor!

Last edited by a moderator:
You totally can be fired for being too slow. I've seen it happen. But typically the slow ones that are axed aren't even trying, in my experience. The ones who try their hardest but are still slow sometimes just get transferred to a different department, at least that's the case at my store. But not always...I've seen people who are clearly trying, but just suuuuuuck, and they get dropped like a baby.

Dropped line a baby? I hope you're not a parent...!

But for me in electronics, I just do as much as I can and don't stress about it. I had a shift last week where I was expected to do 3 CAF pulls, take down all the signage in my area because our signage person called out, fill endcaps, zone all 38 isles of E, and zone zone seasonal, ON TOP OF all reshop and guest servicing I normally do.

No matter how fast you go, sometimes it's just impossible, and you can't factor in variables like needy guests, a sudden 9PM huddle, etc. I do what I can, and if anyone asks or complains that something isn't done, I explain that either a team lead asked me to prioritize x y or z, of just calmly explain how much I have to do and how I'm prioritizing my tasks.

If management fires everyone who's not able to keep up the workload they expect, the sales floor would be empty. This team leads unrealistic expectations are going to catch up with her soon, I imagine.

At my store they just move you to a different department. This guy was moved from the backroom to sales floor because he was too slow but he's too slow on the sales floor. They have no plans to fire him which pisses me off

Dropped line a baby? I hope you're not a parent...!

But for me in electronics, I just do as much as I can and don't stress about it. I had a shift last week where I was expected to do 3 CAF pulls, take down all the signage in my area because our signage person called out, fill endcaps, zone all 38 isles of E, and zone zone seasonal, ON TOP OF all reshop and guest servicing I normally do.

No matter how fast you go, sometimes it's just impossible, and you can't factor in variables like needy guests, a sudden 9PM huddle, etc. I do what I can, and if anyone asks or complains that something isn't done, I explain that either a team lead asked me to prioritize x y or z, of just calmly explain how much I have to do and how I'm prioritizing my tasks.

If management fires everyone who's not able to keep up the workload they expect, the sales floor would be empty. This team leads unrealistic expectations are going to catch up with her soon, I imagine.
Teach me your methods for not stressing

I absolutely blow the fuck up when they keep piling work on me when I'm still in the middle of something. I complain when I have to do CAFs for infants or C/D or anything that isn't my department. Because then if I don't finish the openers notice and if the openers notice it goes straight to my TL as "look look Kaitii didn't finish all this!!" because literally everyone in electronics is trying to get the other in trouble.

you can. it falls under loafing. however, if the TL in question isnt offering advice or trying to get to the bottom of the problem and only saying hurry up, then they arent brand. TLs have to develop their TMs, throwing to the wolves has got to stop being a practice used by the leadership. just because the job got done doesnt mean it was done right.

you can. it falls under loafing. however, if the TL in question isnt offering advice or trying to get to the bottom of the problem and only saying hurry up, then they arent brand. TLs have to develop their TMs, throwing to the wolves has got to stop being a practice used by the leadership. just because the job got done doesnt mean it was done right.

Or as I was told by an ETL once. They don't have to get it right - just done.

Said about our overnight flow process.

Thanks everyone for the advice :) Today I walked in to 8 vehicles in the fitting room and she asked me to get it clear during my 4 hour shift. I'm not a slow or a bad worker at all but when I'm helping guests on the phone, helping guests on the floor, doing cafs, going up for back up and still get 3 racks and 2 carts out I think I did a good job. Even when the LOD came to check on me I told him I was overwhelmed and he said "just do whatever you can, that's all we can ask". When I was leaving I told her what I had finished and she just sighed, rolled her eyes and turned around.

At my store like someone else mentioned they move you somewhere else. I know one person that was in softlines and moved to pog and another person they moved them to flow team.

Thanks everyone for the advice :) Today I walked in to 8 vehicles in the fitting room and she asked me to get it clear during my 4 hour shift. I'm not a slow or a bad worker at all but when I'm helping guests on the phone, helping guests on the floor, doing cafs, going up for back up and still get 3 racks and 2 carts out I think I did a good job. Even when the LOD came to check on me I told him I was overwhelmed and he said "just do whatever you can, that's all we can ask". When I was leaving I told her what I had finished and she just sighed, rolled her eyes and turned around.
You should talk to your etl hr about this lead's behavior, sighing and rolling eyes and walking away isn't professional and this person needs waking up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back