Archived Can you put in a two week vacation and then give two week notice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning on quiting later this year. Since I'm not winning the lottery I don't wanna burn bridges. Is there anything that would prevent me from using all my vacation hours and then putting in my notice before I leave?

Like, if my two week vacation started tomorrow, could I put in my two weeks today without and hr clauses kicking in?

I'm planning on quiting later this year. Since I'm not winning the lottery I don't wanna burn bridges. Is there anything that would prevent me from using all my vacation hours and then putting in my notice before I leave?

Like, if my two week vacation started tomorrow, could I put in my two weeks today without and hr clauses kicking in?

If I'm not mistaken, they have to pay you any accumulated vacation hours and you should use up your sick days first because those you lose after you leave.

Yeah, that's the plan. I'm in a mandatory sick time state but imma use them anyway.

What a lot of people do. Take the two week vacation and walk in the first day and drop a notice that ends on the last day of the vacation.

Not all states pay out vacation when you leave, that is the common "fuck you I am out". Or taking an loa, then just not coming back.

If I'm not mistaken, they have to pay you any accumulated vacation hours and you should use up your sick days first because those you lose after you leave.

They actually do not pay out regular vacation anymore when people quit.

There are two banks: vacation payout and vacation, whenever someone used vacation the last year or so you had to use your vacation payout before you could use vacation. I believe if you still have vacation payout you can get it but the other vacation hours are probably frozen.

There are two ways to handle this

A) Your HR can do historical edits and add vacation hours to weeks where you worked under your average hours.

B) You can stop being scheduled and then use your vacation hours on those weeks.

Consider laws vary from state to state but those are corporate policies. No matter how you do it, exit Target with grace.

Yup, we've had tl learn the hard way they lost that vacation time because the explanation was worded confusingly.

Putting in for two weeks then giving your notice or asking for a day off here and there before then is the best plan.

Any vacation earned can be taken with you. If you earned an hour last month you can take. You can't take future time. Example team earns up to 2 weeks of vacation a year but earns a little each month, it's not given all at once. If you leave before years end you won't receive full 2 weeks. Hope that makes sense.

Any vacation earned can be taken with you. If you earned an hour last month you can take. You can't take future time. Example team earns up to 2 weeks of vacation a year but earns a little each month, it's not given all at once. If you leave before years end you won't receive full 2 weeks. Hope that makes sense.

No. In certain states companies don't have to payout earned vacation, target was nice and paid it out anyway, they stopped in 2016.

With my time in I always carry at least 40hrs in the bank of time, so if I were looking for a job I would not take time off and let it build so I have that two week cushion. Get vacation approved then drop notice. Or burn it as quickly as possible so I am working at the new job already and walk out clean.

Last edited:
My favorite thing was the notices they hung all over the HR area talking about how the new vacation bucket was great. Selling points included no longer being paid out when you leave the company and not being able to accumulate as much before is stopped accruing.

You can't go on leave and then quit unless approved by STL/HR. You typically have to work one shift before your scheduled last day.

You can't go on leave and then quit unless approved by STL/HR. You typically have to work one shift before your scheduled last day.

I think you missed the part about leave already being approved and not quitting until you are already on leave.. And I won't be giving an exit interview, which is why they want you to work. They couldn't be bothered to listen while worked there, why should I waste my breath when I leave?

Go ahead mark me as "no rehire" the feeling is more than mutual..

I think the OP was stating could they put in scheduled leave and put in their notice at the end of leave. Typically they want TMs to work their last day to be rehireable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back