Archived Cannot enter discount numbers after June 1st?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was at another Target a few hours ago and as I handed the cashier my crumpled up discount card she said we won't be able to type numbers in starting next month. Has anyone else heard this?

Yes. They have signs up by the timeclocks and the equipment room stating that we are not to enter the numbers any longer. I think Target is trying to stop the money leak that is non-TMs who aren't a dependent using TM numbers for the discount.

Also, I wonder if we might be looking at switching over to a swipe or scan system for clocking in/out... but that's wishful thinking.

I wouldn't mind having scan/swipe cards, like they do at the fancy stores. :p

Technically it's been policy to always require a discount card at purchase anyway, but yeah. Hopefully corp will give leeway to "vibe it up" for the poor TM who's trying to buy lunch at their own store but left their card at home.

My card barely scans. I ordered a new one over a month ago and figured I'd laminate the new one. The new one never came. So I suppose Target thinks that would be my fault. *rolls eyes*

I cut up my old one and taped it in the back of my Target debit card.

I use my new one on other Target stores

I was at a Target a year or so ago and they told me they couldn't do it at all against AP rules and I said are you sure? I showed my badge ( I thought maybe she thought I was lying) She said no it was against AP rules.

I was at a Target a year or so ago and they told me they couldn't do it at all against AP rules and I said are you sure? I showed my badge ( I thought maybe she thought I was lying) She said no it was against AP rules.

This is a store-specific rule. Stores have been doing this off and on for years.

If HQ ever really wants to eliminate keying in TM discounts, they will just release a POS software update that makes it impossible to do. It would be a very simple change to make.

We had swipe cards when our store opened close to the mid-00s. They were taken away two years ago because they were not cost-effective. I noticed in the recent issue of RED some of the people pictured had them.

We had swipe cards when our store opened close to the mid-00s. They were taken away two years ago because they were not cost-effective. I noticed in the recent issue of RED some of the people pictured had them.

I suppose it's probably more expensive to replace x number of swipe cards a month than to replace the keypad as necessary.

Was at another Target a few hours ago and as I handed the cashier my crumpled up discount card she said we won't be able to type numbers in starting next month. Has anyone else heard this?

I can see that this could be a major problem because there seem to be a lot of discount cards that won't scan (printed wrong or whatever). And don't new tm just get a card with their number printed on it?

I am sure the company loses billions upon billions upon billions of dollars a year on improper discounts (note sarcasm). Target needs to also realize how much money they probably make because of these improper discounts also! I follow the rules but there are also plenty of items I would look for online or at different retailers if it was not for my 10% (5% redcard) discount knowing I could get it cheaper. How often do you think friends ask friends for the discount because it will save them a few bucks? I am sure most team members get asked at least a few times a year.... I am sure there are people who break the rules but how often would that sale go to another outlet if the friend didnt offer use their discount for them? Target still probably made money on the sale, sure it wasnt at full cost but that sale would have gone to amazon or wherever had they not cheated the system.

This has been official policy for quite a while I thought - just not universally enforced.

Yes. They have signs up by the timeclocks and the equipment room stating that we are not to enter the numbers any longer. I think Target is trying to stop the money leak that is non-TMs who aren't a dependent using TM numbers for the discount.

Also, I wonder if we might be looking at switching over to a swipe or scan system for clocking in/out... but that's wishful thinking.

Well the only thing this new corporate edict accomplishes is saving cashiers some a little typing. And it saves them from keying in a wrong number which makes it harder for Target to track what each specific employee is buying.

As it is now, anyone can lend, borrow or find a card & use it without trouble. And it's easy for TMs to request new replacement cards.

IF they were actually concerned about fraud, the sensible move would be to keep track of the TM's name & their verified dependents names & then ask for ID whenever the card is used. Anyone who is not verified is not able to get the discount.

I worked at Kroger in 2005 and they had fingerprint readers. I also got paid every week...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back