Archived Cardboard trash issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, does any other store out there actually sort trash by department so that it makes sure each specific department does its own trash? I got hit on this today, and was told because the flow team "cardboard" handler had to do a couple of our carts of trash (put aside becuase a bail needed to be made) that I had to give up two team members for the 1/2 hour mid day to do the cardboard on the truck to help out! I know alot of folks don't do their own trash, but, isn't this a bit "unfriendly"? The cardboard was from shoes, which I personally had worked, and the rest was from the two team members that I had given to the salesfloor to work condensing mini (out of their work hour area). I mean, have we really come to this kind of nit picking ? It seems like someone has too much time on their hands! At any rate, I was told we are not to leave any of our cardboard at baler anymore, and I need to make sure our cardboard is seperate from everyone else so that it isn't done by anyone other than my team!

If you put the cardboard in the baler when you bring it back this should not be an issue. You won't need to separate it. I do all of my own cardboard and so does anyone else on my team. Each team in our store is responsible for disposing of their own trash. Why should one team use a significant amount of their hours to do the trash for all of the teams? That would not be value added, especially since the flow team is one of the higher paid teams in the store.

LOL! Well, we do our own too...but, sometimes the store/truck produces so much trash it isn't finished until later in the day, so you do have to wait your turn. But, you can't stand there with your cardboard all day...lol! So, your intention is to come back when bale is done, or flow is done...but, occassionally your tub or cart may be tossed....and then, you are called out for not doing your own trash, and using up other teams HOURS....So, we are now going to just keep our trash with us till end of day...and go in and dump it. If a bale needs to be done, they will have to do it...or we will need to leave a note that we will do these two tubs of cardboard that take 5 minutes to throw into the baler, for the morning....cause lord forbid anyone throws out anything that doesn't belong to them! Pretty wasteful there too.

One of our older flow team members comes in from 6a-10a on truck days just to do the cardboard (3:30a truck unload). As for trash, the LOD usually takes care of it when the cleaning crew has trash to throw into the compactor.

LOL! Well, we do our own too...but, sometimes the store/truck produces so much trash it isn't finished until later in the day, so you do have to wait your turn. But, you can't stand there with your cardboard all day...lol! So, your intention is to come back when bale is done, or flow is done...but, occassionally your tub or cart may be tossed....and then, you are called out for not doing your own trash, and using up other teams HOURS....So, we are now going to just keep our trash with us till end of day...and go in and dump it. If a bale needs to be done, they will have to do it...or we will need to leave a note that we will do these two tubs of cardboard that take 5 minutes to throw into the baler, for the morning....cause lord forbid anyone throws out anything that doesn't belong to them! Pretty wasteful there too.

If your certified to use the baler, you should be certified to make a bale

I always try to do my own cardboard and trash since signing tends to create tons of the stuff.
I have left things with the intention of coming back later, mostly trash since I have to call the LOD and wait for them to get the compactor open.
If you leave as much as multiple carts try just contacting the LOD and letting them know you do intend to come back and take care of it.
But make sure you follow up!
CYA is a FOL at Target.

It costs Target a lot less payroll if you throw away your own trash. It is not value added for a PG7 or higher to take care of the trash that a PG3 has created. If 75 people per week (example) leave 5 minutes of work just once a week it is over 6 hours of payroll that is being used. Just do your own trash and stop looking for ways to get others to do your more unpleasant tasks. Things like this and dumping fixtures and shelves in the fixture room instead of putting them away, not putting batteries and pda's into the chargers, not plugging in printers, flipping clearance labels instead of using replacement labels, dumping reshop onto endcaps or abandoning the cart in a random aisle, and leaving the table or microwave a mess in the breakroom really irritate me. They demonstrate a lack of work ethic, disrespect for the time of fellow tm's, and a lack of knowledge of the big picture. It's not that people can't help out others occasionally, but that it becomes the expectation that someone else will take care of your work for you.

I usually have 1.5 to 2.5 hours of cardboard to take care of after the 5:00 pm CAFs. I hear a lot of "Going forward, blah blah blah..." and "We're going to look into that..." but then I hear crickets and everyone is looking at me like I should STFU.

Back in the day the flow team had team member a person come in at 5am specifically for dumping cardboard. Now they have a flow team member push for a few hours and then they dump cardboard for the rest of the night.

It's funny how something as simple as trash is always a big issue! Also find it funny we allow people to drive at 16 where they can kill a lot of people by being stupid but we dont let them push a button on a machine that compacts trash.

My issue is that whenever I am on the cardboard duty, I have to do it ALL........by myself. Its really simple for me really but for some reason (maybe because I'm new) everyone just comes and leaves shopping carts full of cardboard while I'm busy making a bale with the other baler ready and willing to be loaded. While this is happening everyone is saying stuff to me like they are actually trying to stress me out. The TL on the other hand, always tells me how good of a job I am doing so it doesn't matter to me.
The thing is, when someone (anyone) else is on baler duty I am always the one that has to go back there and help one of the same people that was trying to stress me out on my day to catch up because the team leader has noticed that they are not keeping up.

This is the type of thing that drives me insane. For gods sake if you bring it back, put it away. If you see it on the floor, pick it up. If it goes in the baler put it in the baler. If its dirty clean it. If its open close it. To put it simply, if you see it you own it. If everyone would simply adopt that mentality things would run so much smoother. If there is a person that continually doesn't follow through they will shortly stick out like a sore thumb and can be dealt with.

That just seems so weird that you need to separate it from all department. It doesn't make any sense for me. I think that issue is just for your store.

The only time I leave my trash is when I walk back there and there are 4 cages of cardboard, 22 carts of cardboard and plastic and a line of flats with defects/cardboard/trash/whatever else all blocking the way to the baler. If they don't want to do my trash they need to keep the area clean or at least organized.

Thank you tellmeaboutatime! You said it just right! and that's what I mean....damn, it takes just a few minutes to throw some stuff away....and sometimes they spend more time "pointing fingers" and avoiding the extra work. I can't tell ya how many times I do our garbage and whatever else is around our single baler and just walk away. I don't find whose garbage it was and tell them they owe me 15 minutes cuz I tossed their cardboard into the baler. It's one store, last I recall!

oh and yes, my ETL logistics said it would be a good idea to keep our plano cardboard seperate so that there is no confusion.....seriously. I am all about it too....cuz they really need to see what it's gonna be like when i am not helping out with the store cardboard that I don't squawk to the world about! LOL! I will just keep my two or three carts every day until they find some other team to blame ....RIDICULOUS!

oh and yes, my ETL logistics said it would be a good idea to keep our plano cardboard seperate so that there is no confusion.....seriously.

Same here. Presentation has to throw away their own trash even though we our supposed to be one team and help each other out. Even if we have one cart of cardboard they will leave it because it is presentation's trash, not theirs. They also make us have to help them out when they get behind on the floor or backroom, so they can finish on time. Our ETL-Log cares more about flow then plano even though they are in charge of both. It's never one team, it's everybody on their own.

the only time that people at my store dosent trow away from their cardboard is when the bailer is full. I am glad target put a real importance to separate the cardboard and paper and collapse the cardboard. At walmart people just see it as trash. They put regular trash in there and put in full open boxes (nothing in it) so they had to crush it every time and don't bother collapse it. I usually collapse it and take paper out.

Everyone in my p fresh team is backroom, baler, and trash compactor certified. Because we create a lot of cardboard and we are far away from our baler, we have our own baler key to do our own trash.

Man, I wish my store were like all of your stores. At mine, almost no one puts their cardboard in the baler, they just leave it in cages. Sometimes, on truck days, we'll have 4-5 cages in the BR, completely full. Even today, a non-truck day, we had three cages and a shopping card full of cardboard around the baler. I always put mine in the baler, unless a bale needs to be made, but that seems to be a fairly uncommon practice. :/

Someone on my team always did cardboard. Whatever was left over I had to finish. I made sure we kept pog separate unless it was a small amount because they always got their breaks, seemed to have plenty of time to fill encaps 2or 3 tm at a time. Those few minutes add up and every minute counts especially when I never got breaks in the first place.

This is the type of thing that drives me insane. For gods sake if you bring it back, put it away. If you see it on the floor, pick it up. If it goes in the baler put it in the baler. If its dirty clean it. If its open close it. To put it simply, if you see it you own it. If everyone would simply adopt that mentality things would run so much smoother. If there is a person that continually doesn't follow through they will shortly stick out like a sore thumb and can be dealt with.

If I fixed everything I saw wrong (See it, own it) I would never be able to get to the backroom or receiving to start my day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back