Archived cash register beep sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever time you ring up an item the register makes a little beeping noise. Normally you dont look at the screen after every item is rung up you
just listen for the beeps. For instance if the guest has a whole stack of candy bars you normally don't look at the screen after each candy bar is rung up. Now, say you are ringing up 30 items, and after you ring up the third item the register doesn't know the price, so on the screen it asks you to enter the price.
You can't ring up any more items until you tell the register the price of that item.
But since you are not looking at the screen you just go ahead and keep scanning all the items and you still get 30 beeps. Then you find out the register was stuck on the third item and did not
actually ring the other 27 items, so you have to empty out the guest's bag and start all over. My question is, why can't they program the register so that if you scan something and there is a problem
it would buzz or make a different type of beep, so you would know there is a problem with the item before you even look at the screen? The way it is now the register just keeps beeping every time you scan something, even if the item didn't actually ring up. Surely some programming genius could fix this?

Last edited:
Well, some stores don't have updated registers. Ours used to be like yours, now it's updated. On the Flatbed there is a light - it is green when you're good to keep scanning. It turns red and stops beeping when there is a problem (serial #, invalid item, how much is this, etc.)

Until your registers are updated you may have to deal with it =/

Our registers are smart, they won't beep if they dont scan. (what Alexandria said)

Ours are up-to-date but it would still be nice to have an "oops" beep if you weren't watching.

For what is worth, I like the light idea because I don't always hear the beeps (yes, even when turned up).

I'd love the registers to have a voice (like the car commands do) & be able to program a celebrity voice.
Could you imagine DeNiro's voice saying "Say hello to my leetle friend" every time you picked up the hand scanner?
Archie Bunker: Whatta youse doin' heah? Dat coupon don't go wit dat!
Dirty Harry: Go ahead....make my day. Sign up for a RED CARD.
Eddie Izzard: Wot the bloody hell? You cahn't use THAT card!
Kristin Wiig: You saved XX$ today! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

I'd love the registers to have a voice (like the car commands do) & be able to program a celebrity voice.
Could you imagine DeNiro's voice saying "Say hello to my leetle friend" every time you picked up the hand scanner?

If a guest starts complaining about something........"Whatchu talkin' 'bout, Willis?!"

Or if it randomly shouted "frickin' idiot!" a la Napoleon Dynamite.

My question is, why can't they program the register so that if you scan something and there is a problem
it would buzz or make a different type of beep, so you would know there is a problem with the item before you even look at the screen??

That would cost Target too much money. They (corporate) don't care enough about the ****ing stores to do anything nice like that.

A good idea, but it would be better if it was Al Pacino's voice a la scarface saying the DeNiro bit.

Great idea! And when a card is denied it would be cool if the card reader would flash red with the word DENIED!!! I hate it when cards are denied and the guest asks me why. I would love to say: "How do I know, maybe you're over your limit, haven't paid your card yet or overdrawn at the bank?" Guests act like it's my fault their card got denied and at least 3/4s of them ask to try again, I do but I know it will just be the same.

Ours are up-to-date but it would still be nice to have an "oops" beep if you weren't watching.

This would be really handy for training new cashiers because they aren't always good about watching the screen for coupons/gift cards/untied barcodes ("How much is this?")/whatever.

This would be really handy for training new cashiers because they aren't always good about watching the screen for coupons/gift cards/untied barcodes ("How much is this?")/whatever.

Not too long ago (during the Buy 2 Tide Get $5 back promotion) I got a cashier who was rushing and tried to ring up another item when the screen popped up to scan a gift card. And guess what, the screen accepted a upc from another item, and disappeared. I had to stop him and explain what he just did, but I wonder how many times this actually happens. A guest gets one item free instead of a gift card.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back