Archived cashier help

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey y'all,
i have 5 questions.

1. if a guest picks up an item that is clearly damaged, am i, as a cashier, allowed to give them a discount because of the condition?

2. if a clearance item that is say 4.98 rings up as 6.79, when i change the price, which option should i pick up as to why i changed the price (ad substitute, guest price challenge, or what)

3. how do i give a percentage off an item. for example, instead of changing the price, i want to lower the price by 15%

4. are rain checks only given at guest services?

5. also, aside from "guest price challenge", what do the other options when you change the price of an item mean?

thanks

Last edited:
1. On damaged items, ask your gstl. The guest could of done it.
2. 6.79 is not a normal price, our markdowns end in 8 or 4 with a clearance sticker, unless it's a seasonal item.
3. Hit down arrow.
4. Ask your GSA/gstl, that question. Every store is different.

I guess every stores different but most leaders will preach empowerment of cashiers. You have the power to make it right for the guest. Use your better judgement in these situations. But it's usually best not to accuse the guest of anything by calling your manager. It's called Vibin homeboy.

Last edited:
As for the clearance, just make sure the DPCI that rings up when you scan the barcode is the same one on the red tag before you adjust it. It's common for people to switch the stickers. Again don't accuse the guest of anything.

Guest price challenge will notify a leader to follow up on the price challenge audit. They'll check for an old sign,bad zone and other things. Use this if you need to adjust a price, but your GSTL can't get someone to fix the issue on the floor causing the challenge. Ad substitute is normally used when a substitute item is discounted in place of the advertised item, and won't put you on the report. Also, use this when a guest price challenge has been resolved on the spot (ex. GSTL calls the floor to check for an old sign and remove all signs). Then of course, damage is pretty self explanatory. I think best practice is no more than 10% off. Is there another one? Lol

Last edited:
Ad substitute. A leader doesn't need to follow up on it because you saw and confirmed the advertised price(the sticker).

i know there's more to guest price challenge and ad substitute, so what do the other functions mean? and also, doesn't ad substitute take you to a new screen where you have to fill out more info?

1. At my store, 10% off for damange is standard. Any more we have to speak to an LOD (highest I've seen is 50%, OK'd by the STL, for a super dented garbage can. Guest said the dented part was going against a wall so it didn't matter).
  2. Check to make sure it's the correct sticker, or someone similar. A sticker for a clearance shirt on a non clearance shirt can be attributed to humor error and feel free to change it. If they're not even close (a sticker for some mouthwash on a vacuum or something like that) consult your GSA/GSTL and/or deny it.
  3. k1 change price -> arrow down -> 1-99% off
  4. At my store yes, but I think all registers are equipped for it. It's 9801+the DCPI.
  5. Raincheck, Damage, Price Match (only on guest service equipped registers)

If you're changing the price & hit K1, it'll give the options of Raincheck, Ad Substitute, Guest Challenge (& something else) as Queencat said.
Raincheck, Damaged, Price Match are only on guest service register.

If you're changing the price & hit K1, it'll give the options of Raincheck, Ad Substitute, Guest Challenge (& something else) as Queencat said.
Raincheck, Damaged, Price Match are only on guest service register.
Raincheck and Damaged should be on all registers. Price match should be limited to GS registers.

Raincheck and Damaged should be on all registers. Price match should be limited to GS registers.

This. On any register: K1 = Rain Check. K2 = Guest Price Challenge. K3 = Ad Substitute. K4 = Damage.

I don't remember which button you use for Price Match because I rarely use the service desk registers.

This. On any register: K1 = Rain Check. K2 = Guest Price Challenge. K3 = Ad Substitute. K4 = Damage.

I don't remember which button you use for Price Match because I rarely use the service desk registers.
It's the last one, k5 or 6. It'll then prompt you to pick where you're pricematching from (amazon.com, walmart.com, target.com, etc. Annoyingly enough target.com is k3 which is strange since it's the one I use the most). You may need to enter a supervisors number if it's over a certain dollar amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back