Small Store HOURS CUT? Help?

acc1146

Small Format (“City Target”) Team Trainer
Hey! I’ve been employed at my Small Format store (also known as a “City Target”) for about 4 months now. In my time that I’ve been with my store, they’ve been desperate for staff and hours. Multiple times I’ve came in multiple hours early to support and my attendance is great. I primarily work/train up-front and as well as some GM.

Last month we had multiple people quit and actually some terminations - my hours went up when this happened. So, of course, they have been hiring some new people. But all of these people work GM, on the floor - we have very minimal people up-front for some reason. And I’ve expressed this to our ETL (that we share w/ other Small Format stores). They understood the annoyance of being the only one working Guest Services, only one monitoring self-checkout (we are fully self-checkout), and the only one doing drive-up. If we have a drive-up we have to leave all of up-front unattended and run to the parking garage below the store and run back up. Even while helping guests at Guest Services, even if there’s multiple red lights at self-checkout. Not even sure if this is allowed or safe, but oh well.

But even with this acknowledgment of the extremely overwhelming nature and lack of safety at times, they’ve started CUTTING HOURS for some reason. Normally I have about 30 hours a week (around 3-4 shifts), but now I have around 12-15 hours with 1-2 shifts next week. This is also the same for **some** of my co-workers. TLs, AP, and TSS does not have any cuts though..

They know we desperately need more up-front support, we have the ability to schedule more people up-front, yet they’ve done the opposite and CUT HOURS throughout the whole store (GM & up-front).
Does anyone know why this could be? Target’s loss in money from Pride is where my mind goes too..? At this point my co workers aren’t making a livable income and are looking at other jobs with the hope Target will go back to our wanted hours so we don’t have to quit.

Help! I’ll be diligently watching this thread! I appreciate any knowledge or insight on this, thank you!

Hey! I’ve been employed at my Small Format store (also known as a “City Target”) for about 4 months now. In my time that I’ve been with my store, they’ve been desperate for staff and hours. Multiple times I’ve came in multiple hours early to support and my attendance is great. I primarily work/train up-front and as well as some GM.

Last month we had multiple people quit and actually some terminations - my hours went up when this happened. So, of course, they have been hiring some new people. But all of these people work GM, on the floor - we have very minimal people up-front for some reason. And I’ve expressed this to our ETL (that we share w/ other Small Format stores). They understood the annoyance of being the only one working Guest Services, only one monitoring self-checkout (we are fully self-checkout), and the only one doing drive-up. If we have a drive-up we have to leave all of up-front unattended and run to the parking garage below the store and run back up. Even while helping guests at Guest Services, even if there’s multiple red lights at self-checkout. Not even sure if this is allowed or safe, but oh well.

But even with this acknowledgment of the extremely overwhelming nature and lack of safety at times, they’ve started CUTTING HOURS for some reason. Normally I have about 30 hours a week (around 3-4 shifts), but now I have around 12-15 hours with 1-2 shifts next week. This is also the same for **some** of my co-workers. TLs, AP, and TSS does not have any cuts though..

They know we desperately need more up-front support, we have the ability to schedule more people up-front, yet they’ve done the opposite and CUT HOURS throughout the whole store (GM & up-front).
Does anyone know why this could be? Target’s loss in money from Pride is where my mind goes too..? At this point my co workers aren’t making a livable income and are looking at other jobs with the hope Target will go back to our wanted hours so we don’t have to quit.

Help! I’ll be diligently watching this thread! I appreciate any knowledge or insight on this, thank you!
its happening at all stores.

Just have to ride it out unfortunately. Our store didn't cut hours, but were told we couldn't extend or add hours because the district as a whole was ridiculously over. Our store dropped near ~1k hours just due to call outs this week, and now we're allowed to add/extend again (reasonable to support work load).

Yea, that’s what I’ve noticed in my district is a lot of TMs hours are getting cut at other stores too… It’s very unfortunate.

Oh hon. This is typical target. Year after year.

Company wide, we didn't do good in sales. July will be tight on payroll. No call-in for extra people, only replacing call outs if demand requires it i.e 1 opener cashier/barista for the entire morning

Likely if you had staffing problems you had other issues happening and your store spent their hours already and overscheduled. They now are trying to cut those hours. Hours should go up after July gradually as back to school is pretty busy usually. How much they go up depends on your store though and if you get a lot of bts traffic. I'm not sure how that affects small format stores though.

Some days we have two floaters up front and other days not enough to go around and when we call for backup we get the silent treatment.

Worth noting that TLs are guaranteed a certain amount of hours (32 for most locations) and AP basically is as well as they get a separate payroll account that's not tied to store payroll.

They understood the annoyance of being the only one working Guest Services, only one monitoring self-checkout (we are fully self-checkout), and the only one doing drive-up. If we have a drive-up we have to leave all of up-front unattended and run to the parking garage below the store and run back up. Even while helping guests at Guest Services, even if there’s multiple red lights at self-checkout.
So you have to leave GS and the lanes unattended to run a drive up order. That's flippin' ridiculous!

So you have to leave GS and the lanes unattended to run a drive up order. That's flippin' ridiculous!
Well, yeah. Here, No one calculates and calls any on demand when call outs will leave us with 1 person from 8:45 til 10. I m supposed to make driveup priority and call for backup for register and returns.

Back