Drastic hours Cuts?

Apparently they couldn’t make the decision at their 45 minute ”meeting” at Starbucks before store opening every morning since that time seemed to be allocated for gossiping about the rank and file and likely whichever ETL was off that day.
They were probably also standing around gossiping about how the rank and file are lazy and only want to stand around and gossip....

Last edited:
WIDE OPEN availability was never a guarantee of hours just that Target could schedule whenever they wanted.

No one is falling for that anymore.

If I am scheduled on a day I am not unavailable does this pop up in the app they use to schedule?
Basically, the more availability you have the more likely you are to be scheduled by the computer. They used to move the schedule around, they're not permitted to do that anymore (as much - basically if they mess with the schedule they need to be able to back it up with a legitimate business need).

The hours that you're not available will be greyed out, available hours will be highlighted in green. If they schedule you outside of the green availability a tiny red exclamation point pops up by your name as a warning.

Basically, the more availability you have the more likely you are to be scheduled by the computer. They used to move the schedule around, they're not permitted to do that anymore (as much - basically if they mess with the schedule they need to be able to back it up with a legitimate business need).

The hours that you're not available will be greyed out, available hours will be highlighted in green. If they schedule you outside of the green availability a tiny red exclamation point pops up by your name as a warning.
So HR basically ignored the popup and scheduled me anyway.

I will seek my revenge at later date.

It was going to be this weekend but I am not calling off a day where it is raining!

So HR basically ignored the popup and scheduled me anyway.

I will seek my revenge at later date.

It was going to be this weekend but I am not calling off a day where it is raining!
HR especially should be checking for the notifications. The green shading is very blatant also. You truly cannot miss it. In a lot of stores the HR ETL and SD like to look over things for final approval. So, there is a chance this went past multiple sets of eyes and still got ignored. Wait for a good day for sure. But not the 4th because of holiday pay. :cool:

HR especially should be checking for the notifications. The green shading is very blatant also. You truly cannot miss it. In a lot of stores the HR ETL and SD like to look over things for final approval. So, there is a chance this went past multiple sets of eyes and still got ignored. Wait for a good day for sure. But not the 4th because of holiday pay. :cool:
I changed my mind and decided to call off today!

Naturally I did a screenshot of my call off.

I guess my fellow TM in my department who literally does nothing will be doing all the pulls tonight!

I am not scheduled on the 4th which is Tuesday my normal day off even though they scheduled me this past one.

It irritates when team members complain about lack of hours then they won’t pick up shifts. They say oh no I’m not doing a
Closing shift, Saturday, etc…
The dumb thing is that my SD has been whining that not enough people have availability for saturdays and what do I see? Not ONE posted shift for saturdays (I'm cross-trained in practically everything so that can't be the reason) ever. This is all so stupid

The dumb thing is that my SD has been whining that not enough people have availability for saturdays and what do I see? Not ONE posted shift for saturdays (I'm cross-trained in practically everything so that can't be the reason) ever. This is all so stupid
I have noticed a lot of posted shifts are long and/or overlap with other ones.

Today my store has an eight shift posted.

You would think they would be better to split them in two - four shifts.

It's better to have partial coverage than no coverage.

I have noticed a lot of posted shifts are long and/or overlap with other ones.

Today my store has an eight shift posted.

You would think they would be better to split them in two - four shifts.

It's better to have partial coverage than no coverage.
My biggest complaint about having to swap online. There is no opportunity to pick up or post partial shifts like you could with the swap shift binder.

My biggest complaint about having to swap online. There is no opportunity to pick up or post partial shifts like you could with the swap shift binder.
Especially a partial shift.

Our store was sort of dead last night because of the rain.

However today being the day before the 4th I am sure it will be crazy busy.

July payroll is horrible and this is expected. I’ll take this over last year where payroll was nonexistent from January to basically September. It was the worst I’ve ever seen.

My issue is the idea that this is to save for payroll when BTS starts. However, people start shopping heavy for BTS in July so the idea is moot.

July payroll is horrible and this is expected. I’ll take this over last year where payroll was nonexistent from January to basically September. It was the worst I’ve ever seen.

My issue is the idea that this is to save for payroll when BTS starts. However, people start shopping heavy for BTS in July so the idea is moot.

I think they wildly overforecasted sales for most stores in June. Was it perhaps made a little worse from the Pride fiasco? Perhaps, but they bombed the forecast.

My store was suprisingly slow last night though I am sure it will crazy today (July 4th) until about 5 or so.

My store was suprisingly slow last night though I am sure it will crazy today (July 4th) until about 5 or so.
The 4th is always dead at my store. These last few days though have been strangely slow as well, it didn't really feel like there was a holiday coming up.

Last week and next week I took an extra day off to give some hours for my coworkers. Another coworker did the same. No one asked us to, but I see hour cut weeks as a good time to have 3 days off. I'll use vacation time. This week and the newest schedule, I'm getting my typical hours. My ETL seems to be scheduling the reliable people to their expectations. Those who have attendance issues seem to be experiencing more cuts. This is just a theory of mine, but I am pretty sure its how things are going down at my workcenter.

And at my store, they're scheduling regular call offs in the hopes they will live up to their reputation and they can save hours that way. Then, when those of us who are reliable are scheduled, we drown because we get no help, or we get help from leaders who are passive aggressive about having to pick carts.

Schools here include BTS lists with end of year report cards so the shopping literally begins before it is finished setting. Fulfillment was getting killed with all of the palletized merch for the first week after school let out.

I always set early for every major transition. BTS, Halloween, Trim, etc always early. We go truck to shelf. The impact on fulfillment is too much when your merch is in pallets beamed up.

Wish the company realized that they should space out set dates and freight flow weeks accordingly.

I always set early for every major transition. BTS, Halloween, Trim, etc always early. We go truck to shelf. The impact on fulfillment is too much when your merch is in pallets beamed up.

Wish the company realized that they should space out set dates and freight flow weeks accordingly.
This 👆 seeing neighboring stores have the sets done almost 2 weeks ago, while we are still drowning in pallets this week is driving me bonkers…

Truly, wouldn't this be so marvelous? Never have been able to understand why ALL of OTC (or whatever) has to be done the same week. Yes, the POGs drop in earlier but I have to wait and get the label strips. Why can't it be spread out over more weeks?
On the other hand, why do price changes dribble in all week long? Can't that all be dumped at the same time, so I know what's expected for the whole week?
Honestly, Target's idea of efficiency is impossible to figure out.
As to the subject of the thread - our hours are stupidly low for this week and next. But we have so many call-offs (do these people not have bills to pay?) that often the reliable TMs are asked to stay longer and use those hours. And our TLs pull a lot of OPU and SFS. And I use vacation pay to make up for what would otherwise be small paychecks.

I find it interesting that people are upset that their hours are cut. Except for ETLs and corporate, do not most people in retail realize the companies view them as expendable - otherwise, how can they offer cheap goods except to cut labor which is the greatest expense? If you came to Target or retail with the expectation to have stable hours year round, then you may not understand the cyclical nature of retail. Been in retail 20+ years, but only for side money. That's all you can expect. If you disagree, then know Jan to March is even less hours...

I find it interesting that people are upset that their hours are cut. Except for ETLs and corporate, do not most people in retail realize the companies view them as expendable - otherwise, how can they offer cheap goods except to cut labor which is the greatest expense? If you came to Target or retail with the expectation to have stable hours year round, then you may not understand the cyclical nature of retail. Been in retail 20+ years, but only for side money. That's all you can expect. If you disagree, then know Jan to March is even less hours...
You can understand how the system works and still be upset with it and want it to improve.

Everyone has bills to pay, and most people working in retail didn't specifically seek out this field. A job with unstable hours is usually better than no job. But that doesn't mean TMs can't hope for more stability.

I can see your point and also see that the company is incredibly serious about desired hours/stabilization. Seems like they’re trying to make strives here.

I usually prepare my team for the down months. I let them know the times in which it’s best for you to enjoy vacations etc.

I think retailers have to do better at understanding people livelihoods matter as well as protecting their business. It’s not easy.

Back