Archived Cashier Speed Foolishness

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told about hangers my first day cashiering.

I had someone today start calling to activate their red card after I told them the total. Stood there on the phone. I immediately said that I could hold their items while they had a seat in the cafe and enjoyed a cold soda. No such luck, they hogged a lane. I'd already suspended but still, how rude.

I actually had a 112 year old come through my line with a check already filled out except for the amount. She won the store today IMO.

I had someone today start calling to activate their red card after I told them the total. Stood there on the phone. I immediately said that I could hold their items while they had a seat in the cafe and enjoyed a cold soda. No such luck, they hogged a lane. I'd already suspended but still, how rude.

I actually had a 112 year old come through my line with a check already filled out except for the amount. She won the store today IMO.
At least the 112 year old, was ready to go. :)

I learned that we should take the hangers off the clothing when the guest was making their payment. So now I'm learning that they want us to take the hangers off first...well... for me, taking the hangers off first then means that I have to figure out where in the world the price tag is and looking for the price tag is what really slows me down....so, I've gone back to ringing up and then doing the hangers last.

Oh...now they're talking about how "the vibe" isn't the focus anymore....wtf?

Last edited:
Those vibe cards in the TSC? This is verbatim what every card says for a cashier that gets one: "Good job getting a red card today!" or "Great job ____, 2 red cards today!" So basically, my value as an employee has been reduced to the ability to get red cards. :/

Those vibe cards in the TSC? This is verbatim what every card says for a cashier that gets one: "Good job getting a red card today!" or "Great job ____, 2 red cards today!" So basically, my value as an employee has been reduced to the ability to get red cards. :/

Be fast, get Red Cards, screw the vibe!

Lol I always used to get excited when I saw a check- a chance to sign them up for the debit redcard!
It's never, ever worked though. People who write checks are too set in their ways.
I'd say i get one in five on checks...at one point they were coaching if you had a check that didn't convert to a redcard. It didn't last long...
I have talked to old grizzled vets who have been with the company for like 15 years and some less. Target does this crap all the time and even in my time they changed their minds. Last time it was how important the "vibe" is and now everyone in the store needs to know how "suspend is our friend". Its cringe worthy corporate garbage pushed by people who don't have real jobs outside of being trendy corporate sluts. This kind of trifle shit is what I call "Making Jobs" because thats all its doing in reality.

I don't know if they are supposed to but every facet of the store I work pushes "suspend is your friend" I feel like we should be chanting this while we sacrifice small mammals to Lucifer or something.It dousn't increase sales or give the guests a better shopping experience and is only a flawed internal metric to measure performance. As if didn't already suck to be a cashier, now they have to shill redcards, worry about suspending and speed, zone the piles of junk around the front, all the while they stand in mostly one place for hours. I feel bad for cashiers, they probably have the worst job in the store.
If or etl-ge says "suspend is our friend" she won be the mammal being sacrificed...
I learned that we should take the hangers off the clothing when the guest was making their payment. So now I'm learning that they want us to take the hangars off first...well... for me, taking the hangars off first then means that I have to figure out where in the world the price tag is and looking for the price tag is what really slows me down....so, I've gone back to ringing up and then doing the hangars last.

Oh...now they're talking about how "the vibe" isn't the focus anymore....wtf?
Before or at the end is fine. Same difference. I always set aside spider wraps, handsets, etc if not many. If piles i try to do first or in bunches. The liquor sakes are killing us. Register software update is even slower than the chip card...I see new registers in our future...

I've heard all except my store doesn't say the tacky "suspend is your friend". My speed scores on backup are generally between 83-100%, any slower ones are guests activating their new redcard AT THE REGISTER or people letting their kids load the belt but not until the people before them are done.

The store's overall speed score is just below green... But corporate should cut us some slack because all but 4 of the cashiers at our store are over the age of 65. They're going as fast as they can, they've said that themselves.

How even?
You know how the hangers are dumped in the hanger boxes? There is a sticker with the store number put on it and it is sent out on the sweep. It's measure by weight, not amount , so even *pieces* of hangers should be put in there. As a GSTL I walked with the SL etl and vendor who explained it all.

You know how the hangers are dumped in the hanger boxes? There is a sticker with the store number put on it and it is sent out on the sweep. It's measure by weight, not amount , so even *pieces* of hangers should be put in there. As a GSTL I walked with the SL etl and vendor who explained it all.

It just seems ridiculous that we'd be scored on such a thing. I mean, how are we supposed to send out that many hangers for recycling when they won't even send us enough of the damn hanger boxes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back