Archived Cashiering help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope I'm doing this right :x

So I just got hired to be a hardlines sales associate. Of course I also have to trained on the registers, so that's what I did today. It was a five hour shift, but I only really got to do it on my own for about 30 minutes. My concern is with my next shift, which is five hours of cashiering all by myself. And I don't feel very ready at all \: So I just had a few questions...I understand that most stores are probably pretty different, but I'd love to get opinions on your own store.

1. When I go in for my next shift of cashiering on my own, what exactly should I do? Clock in, put things away, and then what? Should I ask HR what I should do? Should I go down to the service desk and let them know I'm here? How do you know what register you're on?

2. I couldn't really tell how important the G and R grades are. Are they a big deal in your store?

3. It seems like this may not even happen, but what is a cashier supposed to do when there's no one in their lane, or if it's slow?

4. This one may be a little off topic from cashiering and more on sales associate, but when backup is called and you're on the sales floor supposed to be backup, again, does it matter which register number you go to, or are you told?

5. My cashiering shift is tomorrow, Halloween night 6pm-11pm. Do you think it would be busy?

Thank you. :)

1. When I go in for my next shift of cashiering on my own, what exactly should I do? Clock in, put things away, and then what? Should I ask HR what I should do? Should I go down to the service desk and let them know I'm here? How do you know what register you're on?

After clocking in, head to the front, find the GSTL/GSA and ask them where they want you to ring. Let them know it is your first solo cashiering shift, if they aren't aware already.

2. I couldn't really tell how important the G and R grades are. Are they a big deal in your store?

They are your cashiering speed scores and are aggregated into a weekly overall speed score so that the front-end leadership can see who might be struggling with cashiering. I wouldn't worry about them, especially if hardlines is going to be your main work center.

3. It seems like this may not even happen, but what is a cashier supposed to do when there's no one in their lane, or if it's slow?

Zone the candy/sidecaps/endcaps at your check lane and/or neighboring lanes. Clean your conveyor belt (there should be spray and wipes at your lane.) Ask your GSTL/GSA for a project to work on.

4. This one may be a little off topic from cashiering and more on sales associate, but when backup is called and you're on the sales floor supposed to be backup, again, does it matter which register number you go to, or are you told?

At my store, the GSTL/GSA will try to tell the backup cashier what lane to go to. If you aren't told, though, just hop on wherever. I'm sure the GSTL/GSA will just be grateful that anyone responded at all.

5. My cashiering shift is tomorrow, Halloween night 6pm-11pm. Do you think it would be busy?

Probably not. You'll see lots of costumes, though. It will be fun!

In addition to what ULV GSA suggested, stand at the end of your lane and greet guests and direct them to your register.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back