Archived Cashiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fumbling

Salesfloor Switch Hitter
I will preempt this by saying that I have a total lack of cashiering experience, at least on systems found in bigger stores like Target and Walmart. The only cashiering I did was for a small little corner shop whose cash register was basically a giant calculator with a roll of paper attached to it -- so in comparison to these registers, it looked prehistoric.

I had my very first day on the cash register yesterday and I was a total mess on that thing. I got the basics of it since most of the time you just have to ring everything up and total it. Easy part is that most people are paying by credit/debit, with a handful paying by cash.

My trainer, who was also training three or four other people at the same time, would pop over to my register on occasion but spent most of her time near the other trainees (most of which were on the express lanes, those lucky sons of guns). She covered the basics at the beginning, like when someone mentions Bob, that you need to check the bottom of the cart for stuff; food products get bagged separately from other items; check the insides of purses; wrap all glass products in paper, etc. then she flitted off to hover near the other trainees.

Gotta say, by hour two, I was ready to end my shift and never step foot near a register ever again.

I have never felt so out of my depth on something as I did on that darn thing. Those R, Y, G, ratings after each transaction were just terrible and maybe it was first day jitters, but I really hated seeing so many R's popping up. Some of which were because customers kept forgetting to enter their pin after swiping their debit card or because they forgot to sign, others were because I had to re-bag things to my trainer's satisfaction or just because I didn't understand how to remove the security tag on an item or how to process a tax exemption. Whatever the reason, a solid row of G's followed by a flurry of R's was not a good thing to see. The perfectionist in me was irked to see a score of 90 drop to a 79 in what felt like a matter of minutes.

I kept forgetting to check the bottom of the carts because I was too busy trying to ring everything up quickly and bag it. (Finally remembered towards the end of the shift but it feels a little shameful how often I would forget to look.)

Just, all in all, 4.5 hours of cashiering felt more draining than the 7.5 hours of hardline and softline training I had done the previous two days.

So, it might just be because I haven't gotten the hang of cashiering yet but I am definitely giving my props to all the cashiers out there. You now have my undying respect.

I won't hesitate to jump on a lane if there's a huge rush or the LOD calls for someone to help out but I will avoid those things like the plague in any other case. I am so glad I'm on the sales floor because I couldn't imagine being on the register for 7+ hours, at least not when 4.5 hrs felt like an eternity. Goodness knows what more would feel like.

So, cashiers, I salute you.

Is a score of 84% good? I am Hardlines sales floor and I do respond to backup but those don't last for more than 15-20 minutes. Today I picked up a cashier shift and ended up with a big R for the score at 84. I was really fast scanning and bagging, but I had many guests that don't look for their card until I have hit total. Some guests forget things, so a sales floor member has to bring it up (which may take as long as 5 minutes). Any tips when guests take a lot of time paying once I've hit total?

Is a score of 84% good? I am Hardlines sales floor and I do respond to backup but those don't last for more than 15-20 minutes. Today I picked up a cashier shift and ended up with a big R for the score at 84. I was really fast scanning and bagging, but I had many guests that don't look for their card until I have hit total. Some guests forget things, so a sales floor member has to bring it up (which may take as long as 5 minutes). Any tips when guests take a lot of time paying once I've hit total?
If you're sales floor I wouldn't worry about the speed scores at all. No one at my store really pays attention to them, and it's not like the GSTL will come after you for a poor score. The worst they can do is say you're too slow to back up cashier (wouldn't that be nice lol).

Once you get the hang of it, it's not bad at all. But cashier shifts tend to DRAG on forever. I'm so glad I'm a GSA now, I really don't know how I pulled those 8 hour cashier shifts all the time.

I've been cashiering at various places for over a decade and I don't always check the bottom of the cart either. It's one of those things where it's hard to check it EVERY time. And don't fret too much about your speed score. When you're new on the register, it doesn't matter. And we'd much rather you be friendly with the guest and have everything rung up correctly than see a ton of Gs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if you primarily work in another department, your cashier speed won't count towards your review anyway.

And I don't see tax exempt transactions very often so it's not something you'll really have to be super quick at.

Focus on scanning accuracy, not speed. Thru repetition, you'll eventually get comfortable & gain confidence.
With confidence comes speed but don't push yourself - let it come.
Check coupons carefully as you scan; never be afraid to ask for help or questions.
When you finish bagging items, walk around to put them in the basket. This allows four things:
-a chance to glance for missed items underneath or under the kiddie seat
-reducing paid & left items
-stretching your legs after standing in one spot
-giving good guest service before sending them on their way.

speed will come in time. if you feel that a guest isn't happy with your speed, casually mention that you're new, and they will usually calm down. someone once joked with me that i could claim i was new for a year. who would know any different lol. but i feel that in my 2 months at target, my speed and skills have greatly improved. even team members that have been around the block have to call an lod on occasion. i've been told not to worry about continued blinking lights. it's their job to help us! i wish you the best of luck. don't give up until you're sure you've given it your best shot. it could end up being a rewarding experience!

90% is green. we don't really care about speed that much. the usual is you're either slow, or you're really quick and the guest is counting out pennies. suspending those transactions help.

Nobody at my store cares. The only reason cashier score is ever mentioned is, well, never.

90% is green. we don't really care about speed that much. the usual is you're either slow, or you're really quick and the guest is counting out pennies. suspending those transactions help.

88% is green, not 90%.

And don't suspend, no one cares what your speed score is, I'd much rather see a cashier with a lower speed score than one with a really high score and a ton of suspended transactions. I WOULD mention the suspends to a cashier and let them know that that behaviour needs to stop, whereas I'd never bring up the lower speed score.

Like plenty of people have said, speed takes time. My first shift I was at 33% when I clocked out. Three months later I averaged 88%, and haven't gone below 80% in weeks.

Heck, since I've started I haven't even signed off on a learning plan. I'am trained in Produce, Meat, Dry Market, Freezers & Dairy, Flow, Backroom, Presentation, Bike Building, and Cashiering. On occasion I'll back up cashier. In and out is my routine. Red Cards aren't even a thought on most transactions. When totals are above $100 or if the system prompts me I'll ask. It's not like I'm a commissioned salesman.

Honestly, I am probably the only Flow guy that backup cashiers. I take it that I was trained in a positions and I'll might as well contribute to the team.

Four months total at Target has been fun. :)

I've only got that one day under my belt on the no-limit lines and with my trainer throwing information at me like a madwoman for the first twenty minutes then sending me on my merry way to handle things solo, I admit it was a bit overwhelming.

I did do some cashiering on the express lane when the call came over the walkie and managed to keep things moving pretty quickly and ended with a score of 90% so I'll take that as a small win. :p

Repetition and practice definitely seems like the way to go with cashiering so you'll get that speed and accuracy. (Though I'll still probably seek refuge in softline and hardlines as it is my happy place atm.)

Focus on scanning accuracy, not speed. Thru repetition, you'll eventually get comfortable & gain confidence.
Check coupons carefully as you scan; never be afraid to ask for help or questions.
When you finish bagging items, walk around to put them in the basket. This allows four things:

This has got to be the best advice!
Checking the bottom of the cart was the one thing I kept forgetting to do, so walking around and putting those things in the cart is def. something I will be doing if/when I'm working the register.

I'm not even sure why that one part of the job is so hard for me to remember to do. :oops:

I haven't even noticed my speed. It wasn't mentioned in my training, but I figure it must be fine, so far only a couple of long sales...and they were getting RedCards or forgot something.

OP, sounds like a normal first cashiering shift. You will get the hang of it pretty quick. The basics of cashiering are pretty easy to grasp, but you get better and faster through repetition and practice! The more you do it, the more nonstandard situations you'll come across, and then after asking for help you'll know how to better handle it the next time. You'll feel more confident cashiering the more you do it.

One thing I will add to your training because it tends to get missed or just under emphasized...

Do not use the K2 - quantity key except in rare instances (back to school casepack sales for instance). Even if you think that all the product is the same, it is a much better practice to scan each barcode. Scanning each barcode ensures data integrity, on hand accuracy, and correct pricing. it also helps with returns. It's frustrating for guests and service desk TMs when a guest tries to return something that is not on their receipt even though they paid for it. Just because two items look similar does not mean they have the same item number (ie. the same package of batteries can have multiple DPCIs depending on where it is stocked in the store). Scanning each item instead of keying quantities alleviates this problem.

This has got to be the best advice!
Checking the bottom of the cart was the one thing I kept forgetting to do, so walking around and putting those things in the cart is def. something I will be doing if/when I'm working the register.

I'm not even sure why that one part of the job is so hard for me to remember to do. :oops:

Don't forget about BOB and LISA!

One thing's for sure - it's gets easier every day.

I don't care much for doing it. Gimme my cart pusher and grab tongs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back