Archived Challenging STL

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you guys think I should approach this situation. My TMs have all been coming to me and have told me instances that all the interactions they get from our STL have been hostile or unpleasant. They told me that they don't feel that they can approach her and that they feel that she, and I quote, "hates us". She hasn't done that when I'm around but it seems to happen when I'm not there. My STL is genuinely a good person but I've noticed how she has been a little edgy lately and I want to talk to her regarding what my team is feeling. Obviously I'm just a TL but I don't want my team feeling like they have to just suck it up if she's really making them feel this way. How should I approach this?

Tread carefully.
She may ask for specific examples & TMs; you DON'T want to do that.
You might talk to your ETL or HR-ETL to see if there's something from outside (corp, district, SBDM) that's bothering her.
How are your sales? Surveys? Steritech?

I think I'll have a chat with my ETL first and see what her feedback will be. My sales are through the roof, we are passed one million dollars 100% on surveys for the week of Black Friday and the entire month of December and green steritech. I don't know what her problem is.

Is it just your area or have others noticed it as well?

I've heard some talk about it happening in other work centers but I've only noticed it with my team.

I don't know if she's stressed or not. If she is, I want to help but I don't want my team members to be disrespected.

Chat with your ETL to see if you can gain some insight; until then your team may just have to walk on eggshells until things are resolved. Could be home issues.
If she starts getting caustic with your TMs however, that's when you document it & head straight to HR.

Can also be just running thin because of Q4 in general having to give alot of attention and hours to the store in general. My STL regularly has been moving from morning and closing shifts all of Q4 and boy one ETL has really gotten on her nerves not sure if they'll still be the whipping boy in Q1 but man nearly everyday that poor soul gets an earful.

Even if your STL is stressed that's no reason to take it out on anyone ( be it etl , tl or tm). Part of being a good leader is being able to handle stress and not let it dictate how you interact with your team. I would go to your etl tell them that you have heard some tms voicing their concerns over the stls behavior /attitude and its affecting morale . Then,I would ask what you can do as a leader to make the situation better ( between your team and the stl). This way, it doesn't make you sound like you are gunning full throttle for the Stl. Hopefully, the Etl will do their job and speak to the Stl. The last thing a Stl wants or needs is a bunch of calls to the hotline about their attitude and how they treat people. So, a Stl with common sense would rather put the fire out before it gets out of control.

Even if your STL is stressed that's no reason to take it out on anyone ( be it etl , tl or tm). Part of being a good leader is being able to handle stress and not let it dictate how you interact with your team. I would go to your etl tell them that you have heard some tms voicing their concerns over the stls behavior /attitude and its affecting morale . Then,I would ask what you can do as a leader to make the situation better ( between your team and the stl). This way, it doesn't make you sound like you are gunning full throttle for the Stl. Hopefully, the Etl will do their job and speak to the Stl. The last thing a Stl wants or needs is a bunch of calls to the hotline about their attitude and how they treat people. So, a Stl with common sense would rather put the fire out before it gets out of control.
Great advice thank you. I'll be doing that today. My STL is good at what she does and I know she doesn't like to be the "bad guy". I just have a feeling she is under some pressure and with Q4 ending it's taken a toll on her but to be fair, it has for all of us. My ETL is great and she went to bat for me before against our STL so I'm sure she'll talk to her.

@tgtguy I do have a good ETL and I know how lucky I am since I've had nothing but uninvolved ETLs in the passed. I do care a lot about my team because I've seen them develop and take on more and more and I'd hate for my STL to treat them that way when they work so hard to deliver results.

L if I know!

Attachments

• 3 (Medium) (Small).JPG
    3 (Medium) (Small).JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 21
@tgtguy I do have a good ETL and I know how lucky I am since I've had nothing but uninvolved ETLs in the passed. I do care a lot about my team because I've seen them develop and take on more and more and I'd hate for my STL to treat them that way when they work so hard to deliver results.

Noone ever, ever disrespected my team. The first time it happened the response was swift and to the point.

If there is a problem with my team then you bring it to me, just as if I had a problem with your team I would come to you. Don't undermine my authority, it's very hard to respect you as a leader when that happens.

Tldr; Don't start no shit won't be no shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back