Archived Changes coming to RDC trailer loading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BleacherSeats

ETL Specialty Sales
Our store is changing to push all starting on 7/15 and we are being told there will be very little backstock being loaded onto trailers going forward. Anyone from a DC have any info about this actually happening or is this just something we are being told will happen?

The new process sounds great but will be major changes to our unload and push processes so just wondering if the necessary DC adjustments are something that are starting or if that's just a pipe dream.

As far as I can tell, it's been business as usual at the RDC. Sorry for the non-answer, but if any changes have been made, it's likely an HQ-thing in what specific labels drop for each store, but I as a DC drone can't really tell the difference.

I was afraid of that. We were told to expect less backstock going forward and that an emphasis was being made at DCs to accurately compile repack boxes. Doubted either thing would come to fruition, but it's nice dreaming that repacks would be filled correctly to save us a ton of time.

Hey just wondering, what the hell does the R stand for in RDC?

Sometimes someone's job is to make up nice things and tell you nice things but whether those nice things ever see the light of day is a different story.

A good example is the location labels on the racks would be replaced because alot of them are ripped, torn, missing, or flat out wrong because the beam was replaced. I think I heard this every year for three years. But it hasn't heen done once.

Good thing humans have imaginations & fantasies, otherwise we wouldn't be able to pretend it's all good.

For one...very little backstock sounds great...for two...that's where I get about 24 hours a week of my shifts from is backstocking the dc trucks so please cut the backstock down but not to where it only takes one hour to backstock the truck...I would be a sad, broke and homeless man.

Do we actually store and pull from our DC's (pick/ship) or are they set up for through shipping (pallets broke down in receiving, loaded on to conveyor lines, and sorted directly to trailers) from the vendors?

The reason I ask comes from Spot's videos (2 - 2017 & 2018) demonstrating the new DC process of shipping pieces instead of cases to fill the stores.

My understanding was that they were going to eventually go to rolling carts shipped to each store everyday to replenish. Could have changed since then but I thought that was the original idea.

We are still put/pick at the DC. About a year and a half ago, they were all preaching sending just eaches to store and a new DC set-up of separate Reserve and Flow buildings. The did a pilot for just one store out the Amsterdam DC, I think, but I haven't heard anything about it since.

We are still put/pick at the DC. About a year and a half ago, they were all preaching sending just eaches to store and a new DC set-up of separate Reserve and Flow buildings. The did a pilot for just one store out the Amsterdam DC, I think, but I haven't heard anything about it since.

Thanks for the insight.

If you have a chance, head over to www.targetred360.com and look at the March 2017 and March 2018 videos on our new process.

If you haven't been there, it's Spot's web. All you have to do is log in like you would at work and set up a security question.

Let us know what you think

Pretty much the same stuff they were saying a year ago (though nothing's changed as of yet). Must say, as a former Outbound guy, that was a beautiful trailer wall they showed off there. Wish most of the people we bring in these days could pull off something that good...

To oversimplify the DC transition trap process, two reasons:
1. We only keep 1 dpci/pallet in the DC. A pallet might have up to several hundred cases, but only a couple go to any one store, so a full pallet is going have to be broken down anyways.
2. We don't have a process for creating any kind of mixed pallet-to-store-type deal, except for city/express-type stores, and the existing process for that is extremely time-consuming and labor intensive. IE, something HQ would be extremely hesitant to roll out company-wide, as the DC is a money sink, as is.

But as its being broken down isnt being sorted by store? It all comes in on one truck so at some point, some where its sitting all together. Isn't that the direction Target is trying to head? Palletized freight?

But as its being broken down isnt being sorted by store? It all comes in on one truck so at some point, some where its sitting all together. Isn't that the direction Target is trying to head? Palletized freight?
I've rarely seen a full truck from a vendor of nothing but TR freight. Usually we get a couple pallets or so out of a trailer that is TR, and we usually collect them over the course of weeks or months before all the pallets for a particular TR event drop.

To oversimplify the DC transition trap process, two reasons:
1. We only keep 1 dpci/pallet in the DC. A pallet might have up to several hundred cases, but only a couple go to any one store, so a full pallet is going have to be broken down anyways.
2. We don't have a process for creating any kind of mixed pallet-to-store-type deal, except for city/express-type stores, and the existing process for that is extremely time-consuming and labor intensive. IE, something HQ would be extremely hesitant to roll out company-wide, as the DC is a money sink, as is.

would be, and should be....... However, if they could be..... I feel like Target (at a store level) has counted it eggs, before it hatched (They did this before they even had Eggs.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back