charging blocks

Is this what they are called? The battery you use to charge your phones and devices. Does Target sell them? Do they come with different plugs for different types of devices? Probably a good thing to have in case of a power outage. Mrs. Captain has an iPhone and iPad, the Captain has old school stuff, flip phone and an Acer laptop. Not surprising, is it?

I think I know what you are referring to, and yes. You will have to supply the cable, they have USB outgo (USB-A and sometimes USB-C) and USB input from the wall (micro USB and/or USB-C).

I don't know what will charge your phone, it being so old and power technology so different now. They do have special power blocks for laptops but they are pretty pricey and I think the laptop needs to have the ability to charge via USB-C. Mrs. Captain's devices should be good though.

Thanks! I also have a SanDisk MP-3 and it also use a Micro Or MIni USB. The phone cable doesn't fit the flip. I plan to ditch the flipper and go with a Smart as soon as I can convince my thick aging head that it in fact is a viable move. I intend to go Smart in the very near future. Do younger folks still listen to MP-3s?

Dedicated mp3 players are not really seen anymore, I can't recall the last time I saw one. Or I can, and that was around 10 years ago. You stated the reason why, the technology has been integrated into smartphones so there's no need for a separate device. And part two, it's a lot easier to get an mp3 file onto a smartphone than onto a dedicated mp3 player because there's no electronic middleman, it's internet straight to music folder rather than having to load the mp3s from your computer.

As far as listening, I believe people still do. I prefer satellite radio in my car (or I will when I get around to re-subscribing, for now silence is my music), and either stream it to my computer or use the music channels on DirecTv because I'm too cheap to buy music and too lazy to find a music sharing site of no cost and questionable legality. But I also know that people will fill up their phones with music and either listen non-stop all day through headphones or set up their cars to stream music from their phones through the speakers.

Yeah my husband wanted to upgrade his iPod Nano 5th Gen and found out that all Apple offers now is the iPod Touch, which basically looks like a slightly smaller iPhone. You can do everything with it but make phone calls, lol. You can still find Nanos online but my husband likes to order direct from the source. I have a Nano 7th Gen and I love it, but I usually only listen to it in my car. Neither one of us uses our phones to listen to music.

Ah, but my cellphone doesn't have the 160GB capacity my iPod Classic has, with 18000 songs on it and counting. I will cry the day the battery finally dies in that thing.

As for external packs, Anker is what many consider the gold standard. Most long distance hikers I've seen/talked to (like on the AT, PCT or CDT) rely on Ankers. They wouldn't want anything else.

Back