Charity donation per paycheck

HR has been handing out forms where you can donate money out of your paycheck to a charity or something.

Does Target get a tax write off for doing it this way? Am I better off donating directly to a local charity?

No, Target doesn't gain anything other than good will within the community for making the option available to TMs. I donate a small amount each paycheck to a neighborhood community center a few blocks from my house. I could claim the cumulative donation as a charitable contribution on my tax return.
The United Way, the umbrella agency that receives the donations and then forwards to the various organizations, does take a small percentage (I don't know exactly what it is, but it's not large) as a clearinghouse sort of processing fee. I used to work for a non-profit who received donations the same way. So if you wanted to donate directly to the charity, they would get a little more because that processing fee isn't taken out. However, donating a lump sum can be a strain on the budget, depending on your circumstances. A few bucks taken out of my paycheck each payday is hardly noticed.

The United Way, the umbrella agency that receives the donations and then forwards to the various organizations, does take a small percentage (I don't know exactly what it is, but it's not large) as a clearinghouse sort of processing fee. I used to work for a non-profit who received donations the same way. So if you wanted to donate directly to the charity, they would get a little more because that processing fee isn't taken out. However, donating a lump sum can be a strain on the budget, depending on your circumstances. A few bucks taken out of my paycheck each payday is hardly noticed.
I heard that the United Way will ignore any statement to not donate to certain causes.

How it was explained is Charity A, B and C. If you don't care, United Way will spread donations equally. If you say you don't want to donate to Charity B, it will happily put your money to A and C. And then reallocate other people's until A, B and C have an equal amount of money. It's not really not donating if more people's money is diverted from a wanted cause to an unwanted cause to make up for you stating it unwanted.

Back