Archived Checking out Walkies/MyDevice with an ID

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is insane... wow. Our equipment door is propped open 24/7 and the only things that get misplaced are walkie a and we just got a new batch of those in. I'll hunt you down like a bloodhound if a myDevice is not able to be located.

Our DTL found 4 walkies at a pawn shop last year. He gathered the entire store for huddle and exclaimed that losing any equipment is a write up. Lose equipment 3 times and it's termination.

Lol the walkies that we use aren't exclusive either. They're used by a ton of other retailers, or at least similar ones. I remember seeing them used at LL Bean.

@Kaitii -- did they try anything before they started locking them in the cash office?

I have a friend at another Target and equipment sign out was quite bad there. She said for about a week or so someone tracked everyone down if they didn't sign out equipment and asked them to go back and sign it out. After that everyone signed it out on regular basis. Then if they notice signing out is slipping again they just track everyone down for a couple days and people get better really quickly. Asking for an ID seems like an extreme step especially if they didn't try some reasonable steps beforehand.

Last edited:
Lol the walkies that we use aren't exclusive either. They're used by a ton of other retailers, or at least similar ones. I remember seeing them used at LL Bean.
All of our walkies have a target emblem embedded into the front

All of our walkies have a target emblem embedded into the front

Do yours? because our aren't. They're just black. Our's is like this one, just the regular CLS kind.

CLS1410_S_LR.jpg

All of our equipment used to be behind the counter in TSC and you only needed someone to unlock the equipment key case. They then moved everything into a locked room, so you have to have someone with the code let you in. Everything is supposed to get signed out, but it is mostly the mydevices and walkies. The PDAs get passed around so much it is pointless to sign them out.

I would not want to trade in my id or keys just to get equipment. Too many things could go wrong this doing that. With as many people as go in and out of that room, it would be hard to figure out who swiped them if they were to go missing.

My store did the ID thing for a bit... then got called out by APBP because target CANNOT legally cannot ask for any form of collateral....
We created our own "MyDevice" cards which are just laminated cards with your name and you need that card to grab a device AND use the sign in sheet so people dont swap cards around.
No card no device!

At our store, you just sign them out and back in when you return them. Some of us forget but it's not a huge deal. We've had a couple issues. A TM actually lost hers. We think a guest may have swiped it. But we never found out for sure.

@Kaitii -- did they try anything before they started locking them in the cash office?

I have a friend at another Target and equipment sign out was quite bad there. She said for about a week or so someone tracked everyone down if they didn't sign out equipment and asked them to go back and sign it out. After that everyone signed it out on regular basis. Then if they notice signing out is slipping again they just track everyone down for a couple days and people get better really quickly. Asking for an ID seems like an extreme step especially if they didn't try some reasonable steps beforehand.
Nope, we went straight to locking them up. Most I recall is AP telling us we need to get it together with our gear.

I really want to say something to them about the legality of what they're doing but at the same time I really don't want shit from anyone.

Nope, we went straight to locking them up. Most I recall is AP telling us we need to get it together with our gear.

I really want to say something to them about the legality of what they're doing but at the same time I really don't want shit from anyone.
Since this is affecting the whole store. Call the hotline. Don't give your name OR work center. They will not be able to figure out who called since almost the whole store is affected it. Even if only one person calls it generates a report that trickles down so at least someone up the food chain knows what is going .

There's maybe 3 people on my entire shift that will actually sign out equipment. There are nights where I'm literally the only person grabbing the sign out sheet to write my name and equipment number on. Sometimes I even have to add the date to the sheet, because the team lead hasn't set the page up yet.
On multiple occasions I've turned the page toward HR, AP or the STL and said "Everyone pulling in the back room hasn't signed out a single piece of equipment", to which I get blank stares.

Ours are locked up. It's a pain in the ass when there's nobody else in tsc to push the button to open the door for you. We just have a sign out sheet. The is no fricking way I would leave my ID. I'll bet your STL is going to get their hand slapped for that.
It's called a well placed stick to buzz you in;) which is why our pmt had to disable that and now only keys get you in.
Our DTL found 4 walkies at a pawn shop last year. He gathered the entire store for huddle and exclaimed that losing any equipment is a write up. Lose equipment 3 times and it's termination.
3 times? hell if it happens twice that's wayy too much.

We created our own "MyDevice" cards which are just laminated cards with your name and you need that card to grab a device AND use the sign in sheet so people dont swap cards around.
No card no device!
Long ago when I first started with spot, every TM had a pair of cards with their name on them.
There was a holder like the king that hold time punch cards & every slot was numbered for a walkie or PDT.
To check out a walkie or PDT, you had to put your card in the slots of the equipment you were taking (ie: slot #3 for walkie #3 on the one side & slot #11 for the PDT of that number).
It was in the TMSC on the side of the equipment case.
It worked well but I never understood why they discontinued it in favor of the sign-out sheets (which are useless).

Sign out sheets are a more permanent way to prove someone signed something out. I would think the cards could get lost.

Did you sign that out?
Yes, my name is right here on the sheet.

Did you sign that out?
Yes, my card is right.....where is it?
So you didn't sign it out?
My card was right here!
That's a write up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back