Archived Cleaning house?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our TL had a huddle tonight saying the zones are looking terrible at the end of each night and re-shop isn't getting done. Basically the TL pointed fingers at everyone saying I will fire people if I have to! I know the TL doesn't " like" certain people and I am sure he is starting to clean the house as the say. My question is can he just randomly just fire people or does it go coach first then fire? I know the zones have been terrible we are wave zoning alot of times and it ends up falling back on others but we are short staffed because of cut hours. I am worried for my job I am a good employee I show up everyday, smile, help every guest, zone as best as I can ( when we are short staffed) Can a TL fire me? I thought only execs actually do the firings??

TLs can document, coach, issue CAs, etc but can NOT term someone.
Sounds like he's shootin' from the lip to cover his own a$$.
If the zone isn't happening night after night that he's the TL, he'll be in the line of fire from leadership as well.
Doing the zone the same way night after night, well....the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over & over but expecting different results.

Last edited:
What redeye said. Team Leads definitely do not have the power to fire people, they can only coach. Seems like your TL might be getting some heat from the STL and is taking it out on you guys. Try your best as always, but if your payroll is anything like my stores, the awful zone and mountains of reshop are a symptom of a bigger problem...

Last edited:
Um I have termed several team members over the years. Yes you need to go through all of the proper steps, coachings, counseling ,written warning then term. You have to partner with the ETL HR to do any corrective action. BUT our goal is never to term someone. The amount of money and time we have invested in team members is huge. We don't want to hire new people and then train them We really would rather retrain, and get them to expectations. This TL was using the wrong tactics to motivate. You never threaten the team with termination. You find out what is not working and why it is not working then you try to fix it. If the zone is bad, the TL should notice before the end of the night. He/she should step in and zone right with the team and retrain as they go. If you don't show the team what is expected how are they suppose to know? If the load is too big to do a quality zone throughout the store, you may need to do a quick zone through one area and communicate that the zone may be a little rough in that area. I would much rather walk into 3/4 of a store that is zoned well than one that is crappy throughout. You have to be smart about what area may not get top attention. Right now sports, soft lines, and seasonal are all getting shopped heavy so get those done. Also is your daytime team doing a mid-day zone? It really does help. If they know that you did not get a quality zone in domestics the night before, they could focus on that.

Thank you! I was thinking the TL was trying to spook us or something like that and I had a inkling in the back of my mind that one of the execs said those zones are horrible you really need to do something and of course the TL isn't the nicest person in the world the TL decided to spook us a a bit good thing I decided to document that.

Thank you! I was thinking the TL was trying to spook us or something like that and I had a inkling in the back of my mind that one of the execs said those zones are horrible you really need to do something and of course the TL isn't the nicest person in the world the TL decided to spook us a a bit good thing I decided to document that.

The TL is playing the 'Dreck Flows Down Hill' game and is like one of those parents whose only go to is the paddle.
I've run enough kitchens to know that never works longer than about 10 minutes especially for somebody who really doesn't have the power they are claiming.

:boredom: The TL thinks I am the ruler of the store!!!!! Ha,Ha you wish..... The TL wants to be exec so bad it's pathetic... Let's see you have been at Target for almost 9 years and you are still a hardlines TL?? No likes and I mean no likes the hardlines TL and wishes someone would please fire the hardlines TL but the TL is a brown noser and hangs out with other execs from time to time I honestly do not see the TL going anywhere anytime soon and 9 years is a long time unless something major happens like hitting a guest or hitting a team member nope not going anywhere lol.

TLs do have a lot of power firing people, but its a long process and they need ETL-HR approval. If they really want to get rid of you, they'll go through the process of Coach > Counselling > Final > bye.

If your TL doesn't like you, it can make life difficult. Especially if they're immature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back