Archived Cleaning up restrooms as cart attendant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I've been told that when I'm cleaning up the restrooms, I'm not allowed to clean up people's hazardous waste like puke, feces and the like, and that I'm supposed to call the LOD. In the past I never cared about cleaning up the mess so I did it. What's the actual protocol for cleaning? I don't want to rely on the LOD because they're always busy, and as a cart attendant I always have 50 things to do at a time.

Correct. You would contact the LOD, and they or someone with hazardous waste cleanip training will have to take care of it.

I do believe Cart Attendants do have to get trained for this. You never know when you find pee, poop, puke or blood on the salesfloor.

My understanding was that the newest highered TM was responsible for all pee, poop, and puke cleanup. :)

We do take a quiz on hazardous waste. Do I still contact them? I don't like waiting because they always give us so much to do. :(

I stopped doing Cart Attenant shifts right before they made standard mandatory training and approval for hazardous waste cleanups.

But...

If its on the salesfloor, you usually want a TM to help block you and spill off, and to help you with any supplies. I would definitely communicate that to the LOD so they can either help or block off the area, and assess the incident if it needs documentation.

If its in the restrooms, you can just close down the restrooms to clean it. I would communicate the closure to the LOD just safety sake. But depending on the mess/incident, the LOD may not be needed.

Last edited:
When I was a cart attendant I was just expected to take care of it. I do believe I was even trained on how to do it.

If our cart attendants aren't too busy, they clean up. Otherwise, it's the closest trained person (whoever gets a report and/or sees it) to the spill. Cart attendants, TLs & above are all haz trained so a regular TM is not allowed. But I'm sure the cashiers run into occasional poop and pee accidents while they're doing the routine cleaning.

I just laughed when I saw the Similar Threads below. "This is the Cart Attendant, can I help you find something?"

Form another thread:
So I'm a cart attendant and me and my fellow cart attendants feel like we are being treated as brand attendants. I was wondering if they are different positions with different pay or are they the same?

What we do is get carts, clean restrooms, go on safety walks(walk around the store after every restroom check to pickup trash, merchandise off the floor, and help guests if they need help), we help with carry outs, sweep the front of store(inside, and out), take out the trash from the front of the store, respond to spills. Sometimes some LODs even call us Brand Attendant over the walkie too.
We feel like were doing too much and sometimes we can get bombarded with calls for spills, carry outs, etc while low on carts and it just makes our job harder.
Just wondering if this is normal cart attendant duties.

This is everything that the cart person does at my store.

Form another thread:
So I'm a cart attendant and me and my fellow cart attendants feel like we are being treated as brand attendants. I was wondering if they are different positions with different pay or are they the same?

What we do is get carts, clean restrooms, go on safety walks(walk around the store after every restroom check to pickup trash, merchandise off the floor, and help guests if they need help), we help with carry outs, sweep the front of store(inside, and out), take out the trash from the front of the store, respond to spills. Sometimes some LODs even call us Brand Attendant over the walkie too.
We feel like were doing too much and sometimes we can get bombarded with calls for spills, carry outs, etc while low on carts and it just makes our job harder.
Just wondering if this is normal cart attendant duties.

I was fed up with the Super I worked at because of this. You would be outside with a line of carts. Then you get called for a carry out on the other side (which the guest is taking their sweet time getting a coffee from Starbucks and uploading their photos) and a spill in Grocery. No other TM would respond to the spill, they would just park a cart over it and man a TM to block it, and wait for the cart attendant to come in and clean it up.

When I was a cart attendant I was just expected to take care of it. I do believe I was even trained on how to do it.

At my store, the GSA/GSTL is responsible for cleaning up the restrooms, signing the check-sheet, and clearing the Indymes, even if the cart attendant is on duty. The ETL-GE stated; "when the CA isn't outside getting carts, he/she needs to be vibing with the guests or at a cash register."

At my store, the GSA/GSTL is responsible for cleaning up the restrooms, signing the check-sheet, and clearing the Indymes, even if the cart attendant is on duty. The ETL-GE stated; "when the CA isn't outside getting carts, he/she needs to be vibing with the guests or at a cash register."

Hahahahahaha, that's a good one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back