Archived Closed a Internal Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wizard89

ETL-AP
Usually I'm thrilled to close Internals. They make me look really good and it sends the message to our shady Seasonal workers that I'm watching during 4Q. Today this one made me feel like shit though. Good kid in a bad situation with around $4000.00 in cash over the last two months.

Normally I'm a dick in the interview when we get them to confess but I just sat there quietly when he just kept repeating "why are you doing this to me". He admitted after about 30 minutes and I was forced to put the Grand Larceny charge on him. He's just above 19 yrs old and essentially the head of a dysfunctional family. I can't say it was the proudest moment in my Target career, despite what others tell me.

I need a beer and a day off.

Good for you. I have a hard time feeling sorry for people who steal while the rest of us work our asses off for very little pay. It's a hard lesson for him, but he knew better.

I don't see why you feel sorry for him. Even kids from bad families know that stealing four grand is wrong and illegal. Let the thief rot in prison.

A "good kid" would've tried to better himself in life. A "good kid" would not have resorted to crime to try to repair his crummy situation.

I got nothing on this. just some shat comment about the therapist of choice for the folk who have a crap day, Mr Jack Daniels's. You had a job to do, you did it. He rolled the dice on a bad call and got caught.

If you get called to court you could mitigate some of the blowback but that's another day.

There are lots of people who have crappy lives and don't steal. I am not saying you are wrong for feeling bad for him...that's your choice...but he also made a choice to steal. If I was going to feel sorry for someone, I would feel sorry for those who are in bad situations....get up everyday go to work and struggle to make ends meet....but don't steal.

Last edited:
Thats crazy I have never stolen anything in my life let alone something so expensive! I have been waiting for a call for oreintation passed the drug test got a call today that I have been flagged by the background check... I havent ever been in trouble besides a misdemeanor cannabis charge in 06 so I was surprised they decided to cancel the conditional job offer over something so petty...

Generally I don't feel bad about Internals. I lead my district in them and have a store in the middle of a VERY low income area with both high External and Internal activity. I enter that store like it is a war-zone and I'm the only one that can bring it back to peace. (I know...this guy thinks highly about himself). I just got to know this kid a bit and knowing his situation, it was a dumb call for him to make...especially with the resources that you have access too with both the Government and Target Resources. I would have liked to done a restitution payment process and not prosecute but that isn't my call.

But most of you are right, there is plenty of people in my store that easily work 70 hours a week between their full time and part time jobs. Hell, I even have a part-time job as Private Security, so I'm one of those people.

___

Boba Fett, you should call the HR Clerk and discuss what the flag was. If you failed the drug test, then it is over, they won't hire anyone who fails the drug test. However, if it popped because of the misdemeanor explain the situation if they are willing to hear it and state you want the job. I can't express enough that in Target the sang "Fortune favors the bold" applies.

Thanks the manager I spoke with said there was a number I could call and I voiced that there shouldnt be anything that is a big deal and she decided she would call and get back to me because sometimes people are flagged for dumb reasons which I feel mine is and I 100% passed the drug test lol been sober for years

It's easy to make the call that you would never steal, most of us wouldn't.
But if you were brought up in a family where that kind of behavior is considered normal, life is a whole lot more complicated.
Think Shameless without the funny.
Living a good portion of my life in a trailer park meant knowing people like this.
Sadly, it is a viscous never ending circle.
I raise a glass to you @Wizard89 for your empathy.

Last edited:
I wonder, if a 8 year old weed possession charge is enough to not get hired, how quick would I be fired id my store knew I was charged with assault and battery charge in 2005.

It was expunged after a 6 month probation, and I only spent a weekend in jail because I was 17 at the time, but still, same timeframe, and worse charge IMO.

Lol I got a conditional job offer and the weed charge which was a misdemeanor got flagged by the background check im talking to the manager again tomorrow hopefully so I am hoping I still get the job seeing it was so long ago and shouldn't be considered a big deal... on a side note I love shameless

I caught what I thought was an internal a couple weeks back. It was basically confirmed an internal when ap refused to discuss it with me. I have no idea why the TM is still there, and I don't particularly like him, but I'm still going to feel bad if this leads to him getting fired.

Retail,

1) They are sitting on the TM because they want them to steal more to increase the charge

Or

2) They need more proof and probably had insufficient coverage of the action you saw

Internals are really tricky depending on what action you saw. If they refused to discuss it with you, it is defiantly a on going case.

Don't feel bad. As much as being poor and in a bad situation sucks it doesnt mean you need to lead to stealing. There are countless government programs out there to help people. There are countless churches that will give you free clothes and food, and even old furniture. If he really was the head of his household he just set them back as now he will probably go to jail and if he doesnt struggle to find another job.

An update talked to the hr person and called the number the said the charges were what I thought for 06/07 misdemeanor cannabis charges asked if they could do anything so I could get hired and they said I have 2 call and talk to target called the hr person back they said they weren't sure but they will see if there is a way to by pass it because even to them not being able to work because of that seemed silly so wish me luck

@Wizard89 If he didn't confess does it make things harder? I'm assuming the interview is to be used as evidence.
I wonder, if a 8 year old weed possession charge is enough to not get hired, how quick would I be fired id my store knew I was charged with assault and battery charge in 2005.

It was expunged after a 6 month probation, and I only spent a weekend in jail because I was 17 at the time, but still, same timeframe, and worse charge IMO.
If its expunged it never happened.

You generally pull a internal when you have without a doubt 100% proof that it happened. That way if the person doesn't confess, you can still charge them with the PL or GL charge. I've only been in on one that didn't confess, because we will just straight up tell them we have video of it and they realize they are screwed. The person that didn't confess went to court after we filed on them and plead guilty. He didn't understand it was serious until he ended up in front of a Judge.

PL = Misdemeanor and GL = Felony

I believe? Yeah, that's a wakeup call....

Do you always prosecute externals as well?

Target's policy is that if they are below 18 you call the parents and if they don't pick up after 2 consecutive calls you call PD. If you are over 18 then you prosecute. You would be a idiot to have a heart when it comes to external because there is so much pressure on a AP team to get external apprehensions that by letting someone go, you are only hurting yourself and team.

I know of some APL/ETL-APs that let someone go because it was some dumb 19YR old kid taking like a $30.00 phone case. I don't see the point in that because for the most part they are only going to get the following on a PL charge:
- State Fine
- Target Fine (Generally 5x the amount of the item you tried to steal)
- Community Service
- Shoplifting class (boring don't shoplift course)

Those 4 things will usually deter someone from trying it again. However, for others it is nothing and they will be back in the store the next day and try pushing out a few Dysons. In my low-income city area, I have nothing but drug addicts trying to steal stuff to pawn. Most have weapons and most are @&@*ING CRAZY. My first week there I had a addict pull a knife on me and put it up to my throat. I almost got fired because Target says I should back off, but my self-defense training kicked in and I broke his nose.

@Wizard89 I have a question, I know this thread has been dead a while, but hoping you can help me understand your last post. You said some people let a 19YR old kid go for a 30 dollar phone case. Why are they apprehending him in the first place? Is he a repeat offender?

It is ridiculous that Target lets the amount build up to a "GET" the theif with horrendous charges. Just catch them once and fire their ass. No need to try to get back at them with everything you can. AP will no about issues long before they take any action. Assholes. Isn't being fired punishment enough. It's not like these folks steal thousands of dollars in one go. It accumulates over months or years and then they call in the policy to formally charge them. Talk about a company that is harmful to society.

It is ridiculous that Target lets the amount build up to a "GET" the theif with horrendous charges. Just catch them once and fire their ass. No need to try to get back at them with everything you can. AP will no about issues long before they take any action. Assholes. Isn't being fired punishment enough. It's not like these folks steal thousands of dollars in one go. It accumulates over months or years and then they call in the policy to formally charge them. Talk about a company that is harmful to society.

Someone on this board whose an APTL posted about that being bullshit, and I agree. AP doesn't let it build, there are directives like not apprehending unless it's 50 or higher. We can still recover the merchandise, just can't apprehend them. Some people straight out get away and we don't find out til later, and when we catch them then we charge them with whatever we have on them.

Someone on this board whose an APTL posted about that being bullshit, and I agree. AP doesn't let it build, there are directives like not apprehending unless it's 50 or higher. We can still recover the merchandise, just can't apprehend them. Some people straight out get away and we don't find out til later, and when we catch them then we charge them with whatever we have on them.

If you are in AP like your status says...shouldn't you know and be able to speak from your own knowledge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back