Closed Thanksgiving forever.

• Target will no longer open its stores on Thanksgiving Day, making permanent a shift to the unofficial start of the holiday season that was suspended during the pandemic.
  • "What started as a temporary measure driven by the pandemic is now our new standard — one that recognizes our ability to deliver on our guests' holiday wishes both within and well beyond store hours," Target CEO Brian Cornell wrote in a note to employees.
Saw thisbon a google nees page just now

• Target will no longer open its stores on Thanksgiving Day, making permanent a shift to the unofficial start of the holiday season that was suspended during the pandemic.
  • "What started as a temporary measure driven by the pandemic is now our new standard — one that recognizes our ability to deliver on our guests' holiday wishes both within and well beyond store hours," Target CEO Brian Cornell wrote in a note to employees.
Saw thisbon a google nees page just now
This will be in effect as long as BC is in power, if he is gone all bets are off.

Thank-you Brian.
As it should be for all retail places and every store in America. I only think it makes sense for restaurants and certain places like that to be open if people are willing to work on thanksgiving but major holidays should have everywhere closed basically. These corporations and these younger generations need to NORMALIZE THIS. No excuse for anyone to shop on a major holiday or a lot others for that matter.

Honestly think its just as much of a business decision as it is a "PR stunt."

Being open earlier and earlier just spread the sales across more hours and not so much the actual sales.

This is why the 20% off coupon was always for spending X number of dollars on actual Black Friday. It's because most people would just spend their money on Thanksgiving.

Personally I like the idea of a 7pm to midnight opening on Thanksgiving. Employees can still have an early dinner with family and get paid time and half to come in vs nothing extra for Friday. It also is a festive fun night for shoppers who don't want to stay home watching football. They can have a leisurely dinner and then come out shopping for some fun specials. Then there is time to restock some new specials for Friday and open up at regular time 7am or 8am on Friday.

When I was hired, we were closed on Thanksgiving. This is not "new"'; it's a return to the past. Some of us on certain teams would be asked and could choose to work Thanksgiving from anywhere from midnight until 10 am, depending upon what your store decided, for time and a half pay to set up for Black Friday and those people did not work on Black Friday. I never missed the chance to work. Of course, the pay was less back then. We started to open when Walmart and other stores did because Target seldom sets the bar, but follows what others do. What would impress me is for him to have made Thanksgiving a paid holiday for all team members.

Back