Archived Coaching question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im just trying to figure out the process a little better. I have severe anxiety which sometimes makes my ulcers bleed, so i dont wanna be worried about being something if i dont have to be

You're talking about just a basic call out, right? Not full-on NCNS? If so, I can't speak for all stores, but a call out isn't treated so harshly at mine. One of my friends tends to call out once a week and hasn't even been talked to about it as far as I know. They once even called out twice in a row to no punishment. My store just doesn't seem to care too much about those at all.

From what I've read on here, it seems like an occasional call out is just handwaved at other stores, though ASANTS. Just don't make a habit of calling out and you should be fine. You can always talk to your HR for your store's specific view on those, but if those call-outs are due to documented health issues they're aware if, it should theoretically be fine. Theoretically.

You're talking about just a basic call out, right? Not full-on NCNS? If so, I can't speak for all stores, but a call out isn't treated so harshly at mine. One of my friends tends to call out once a week and hasn't even been talked to about it as far as I know. They once even called out twice in a row to no punishment. My store just doesn't seem to care too much about those at all.

From what I've read on here, it seems like an occasional call out is just handwaved at other stores, though ASANTS. Just don't make a habit of calling out and you should be fine. You can always talk to your HR for your store's specific view on those, but if those call-outs are due to documented health issues they're aware if, it should theoretically be fine. Theoretically.

Yes just a call out, not a ncns. Im still trying to figure out why she'd tell me it was a counseling if it was actually a ca

NCNS should be CA for conduct. Regular attendance issues (call ins, lates, etc) are coaching/CA for performance. The two aren't really related. You should ask your HR to see what exactly your file says. Coachings/CAs will end with, "failure to show improvement can result in further corrective action up to and including termination." This is usually said to everyone. Was this what your TL said? For one call in, you should be fine.

Wearing my Human Resources hat: Target is an employment at will company, and you can be terminated at any time, for any reason... Regardless if you have a final warning or coaching.

While Target does have coaching -> corrective action -> final -> termination, those can be skipped as needed... For example, they aren't going to coach an employee who is stealing... They will just fire them. That said, attendance is usually held to a different standard, since it impacts everyone in the store. A no-call/no-show is a huge offense. If it happens call, you'll be terminated because you are only allowed a couple... If you call-off again or are late, you'll probably be put on final.

I believe in HR terms ncns is considered conduct whereas calloff/late is considered attendance/punctuality and therefore you can't use one to advance the other.

Stupid, yes, but unless it's changed they don't apply together.

Edit: Yetiv beat me to it.

Regardless, just don't call out or ncns and there won't be problems? It's not a difficult thing to avoid.

Last edited:
I believe in HR terms ncns is considered conduct whereas calloff/late is considered attendance/punctuality and therefore you can't use one to advance the other.

Stupid, yes, but unless it's changed they don't apply together.

Edit: Yetiv beat me to it.

Regardless, just don't call out or ncns and there won't be problems? It's not a difficult thing to avoid.

Ok thanks, because I've seen some tms fired over call ins, without having any no calls.

if you have legitimate health issues that impact your attendance then you need to clear that up with your ETL's or STL immediately. A ncns is disrespectful to other team members and it really does impact how much work gets done. Target will accomodate you within reason, but you need to show them that you're reliable and won't have a continued history of calling in or doing a ncns.

NCNS should be CA for conduct. Regular attendance issues (call ins, lates, etc) are coaching/CA for performance. The two aren't really related. You should ask your HR to see what exactly your file says. Coachings/CAs will end with, "failure to show improvement can result in further corrective action up to and including termination." This is usually said to everyone. Was this what your TL said? For one call in, you should be fine.

Yeag i just found the paperwork thats exactly what says. I hate that i had to call out so soon after getting a cca

Im just trying to figure out the process a little better. I have severe anxiety which sometimes makes my ulcers bleed, so i dont wanna be worried about being something if i dont have to be
I would just sit down with your leadership and explain to them you have some health issues going on. You could present them with a doctors note etc s they wouldn't have any doubt you are telling the truth. Just make sure you are not abusing it.

If you have a medical condition like that, then tell them. If they don't know, they just assume you call out for the hell of it and are unreliable for no reason. Just look at it from their perspective.

On another note, I have witnessed a TM get away with a ncns. They were a managers favorite. So yes, it does happen.

And are you backroom? Just observed your username. Not to shit on you or the rest of our fine team members in other departments, but it's pretty important to be punctual and reliable to work regularly in the backroom.

Call outs in the backroom, at least when I was at the store level, had a huge impact on us. Ncns were even worse.

And are you backroom? Just observed your username. Not to shit on you or the rest of our fine team members in other departments, but it's pretty important to be punctual and reliable to work regularly in the backroom.

Call outs in the backroom, at least when I was at the store level, had a huge impact on us. Ncns were even worse.
I float around all departments other than cashier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back