Archived Code Green & Liability

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyAP

Go To Six
What are team members (TM, GSA, ETL, TPS, ... the whole strata) 'allowed' to do during a Code Green?

Is there some sort of 'oh damn you called 911 you're in trouble' metric? Is there a super-secret training test where only certain people are 'covered' to do cpr, etc?

I witnessed something today that made me very afraid and concerned and .... frankly I'm trying to figure out how to integrity-hotline such concerns and still ultimately remain anonymous.

If it is a situation where you think 911 is warranted and you cannot ask the victim if they would like medical attention call it! Ultimately the victim can refuse transport to EMS and then you are covered. As a TPS you are in a position to make the call to 911 without repercussion from anyone as far as I'm concerned. If you can articulate why you did it with the facts you knew at the time you are golden. For CPR I would look at your states laws involving providing medical assistance and see you you would be covered from liability as long as you are acting under good faith. As far as being covered with target I can't answer that one.

We have been told at my store that you have to have CPR training through Target or be off the clock to help someone as far as CPR. That way Target can or can't be held liable for you as a team member.

At my store we have a packet mixed in with the training materials up at the service desk that covers pretty much all emergency situations (injury, power outage, death, civil unrest, you name it) that is actually pretty helpful with giving you specifics on what you can do in every situation. 90% of it is just call an LOD. LODs pretty much know a code green is top priority and should respond extra fast to those calls. Might be worth it to see if you can track down that packet. I'm off this week, so I don't know what it is specifically called, but I can tell you next week. Like I said, we keep one up at the service desk at my store, but I am sure the is probably one in the backroom and another at TSC or HR will have one.
Also, don't worry about integrity hotline and anonymousness. That is what the hotline is for and you won't face any repercussions for what you report there. Its always better to say something if you see something.

At my store we have a packet mixed in with the training materials up at the service desk that covers pretty much all emergency situations (injury, power outage, death, civil unrest, you name it) that is actually pretty helpful with giving you specifics on what you can do in every situation. 90% of it is just call an LOD. LODs pretty much know a code green is top priority and should respond extra fast to those calls. Might be worth it to see if you can track down that packet. I'm off this week, so I don't know what it is specifically called, but I can tell you next week. Like I said, we keep one up at the service desk at my store, but I am sure the is probably one in the backroom and another at TSC or HR will have one.
Also, don't worry about integrity hotline and anonymousness. That is what the hotline is for and you won't face any repercussions for what you report there. Its always better to say something if you see something.

You're talking about the emergency procedures flip chart.

If performing CPR at Target whether on or off the clock, if you have CPR certification you the individual are covered by the good Samaritan law. As long as you don't go outside the scope of your training you received, you'll be fine. I don't know if Target is protected or not but the individual who provides the aid is covered. I have my CPR card through American Red Cross and I've told my ETL-AP that I have that certification. If I were to see an unconscious person lying on the ground at Target, I will immediately assist, call 911 and call a Code Green. I always carry my CPR barrier mask in my glove pouch with me just in case. Remember it's better to do something than do nothing.

As someone who has a seizure disorder I have to say that it's a good idea to check if there is someone with the person having a seizure before you call an ambulance.
If they say yes, than do it.
But take their word that it's OK not to.
I don't need an ambulance and having to go through the process of dealing with the well meaning paramedics does not make the process any easier.

If the person having the seizure has more than one, hurts themselves in the process (is bleeding etc.) or asks for one when they wake up, than of course.

Also, if the person doesn't have a friend to tell you this -

Don't panic, they need calm people when they wake up.
Don't stand around them like they are a attraction. I know you are concerned but one or two people are enough to help.
DO NOT PUT ANYTHING IN THEIR MOUTH. They won't swallow their tongue.
Ask what they need when they wake up, don't assume things, a glass of water or a pillow for their head is nice but let them get their bearings first.

If you have any further questions I'll be happy to answer them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back