Archived Code Words?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Target assign code words to certain departments / areas / activities? I tried looking up this certain phrase that the ETL's use at my target on google and on this forum and nothing comes up so it's not some company-wide lingo word. I can't say what the phrase is for security purposes and I really don't want to mention the context right now but...I am guessing this is related to where the money is stored? Do your targets do something like this?

I believe you may be referring to the phone extensions. Such as if I'm in the AP office I would just say I am in 209 since that the phone ext for the office. some other phrases are things like.. If we're doing a cash register skim we may say "doing a milk order", closing electronics registers may be "walking the boat". I'm sure they vary some what by store. We even have a code for if the DTL stops in unannounced for a quick visit lol Maybe something like LOD can you call me at ext 432 since there is no ext 432 (and no you lurking District office TM's that's only an example & not the real code)

Does Target assign code words to certain departments / areas / activities? I tried looking up this certain phrase that the ETL's use at my target on google and on this forum and nothing comes up so it's not some company-wide lingo word. I can't say what the phrase is for security purposes and I really don't want to mention the context right now but...I am guessing this is related to where the money is stored? Do your targets do something like this?

Pm me. I will tell you if I have heard of it.

A couple of phrases we use and may be used with other stores:

Get the Red Box......the Red Box being the cart for GSA or GSTL to close down the cash registers.
Hardlines 4.....fancy way of calling AP without the world knowing what the issue is.

I really think that code words have gotten silly.

Most robbers have worked retail before at some point in their life. Every retailer uses code words. If anyone is serious about pulling off a robbery, they are going to find out the code words. (or know them already)

The one exception to this are internal AP code words. I will never forget about 3 years ago when I was a TL, the ETLs were so damn idiotic that they sent out quite a few walkies and asked for them to be programmed to go up to channel 4. (we were a 2 channel store)

Of course, the extra two channels are for AP. Problem is, the ETLs didn't do a good job making sure that only ETLs got the those walkies. Eventually myself and others got our hands on them. (totally by accident.... just randomly got them from the equipment cabinet) Man.... talk about some interesting stuff that AP talks about. Even on their own channels, they use code words. Had no idea what they were talking about sometimes due to those code words, but they were highly effective.

Turns out that this was actually a violation of policy when higher ups found out what the ETLs had done a few months later. Apparently no one other than AP is *ever* supposed to have a walkie that has the AP channels, and that includes non-AP ETLs. So all the 4 channel walkies were taken away.

Last edited:
Well it is similar to that milk order one, so I guess you guys have the idea. We also used to have 3 channels but it was changed to 4 recentlyt. I'll have to keep it on there to see if Ap still uses it

We have 4 channels on our walkies. Channel 1 is the main one for sf. Then there's channel 2 which is backroom, channel3 and sometimes 4 is for things that are going to take a bit (to free up 1 for everything else). They do use channel 4 primarily for ap though.

Only 2 channels? Sheesh.

STL/ETL-HR/ETL-AP/TPS all had 6 channel walkies in my store.

Most robbers have worked retail before at some point in their life. Every retailer uses code words. If anyone is serious about pulling off a robbery, they are going to find out the code words. (or know them already)

The one exception to this are internal AP code words. I will never forget about 3 years ago when I was a TL, the ETLs were so damn idiotic that they sent out quite a few walkies and asked for them to be programmed to go up to channel 4. (we were a 2 channel store)

Of course, the extra two channels are for AP. Problem is, the ETLs didn't do a good job making sure that only ETLs got the those walkies. Eventually myself and others got our hands on them. (totally by accident.... just randomly got them from the equipment cabinet) Man.... talk about some interesting stuff that AP talks about. Even on their own channels, they use code words. Had no idea what they were talking about sometimes due to those code words, but they were highly effective.

Turns out that this was actually a violation of policy when higher ups found out what the ETLs had done a few months later. Apparently no one other than AP is *ever* supposed to have a walkie that has the AP channels, and that includes non-AP ETLs. So all the 4 channel walkies were taken away.

I have never heard of 2 channel walkies, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Perhaps you meant the store uses 4 channel walkies (the standard walkie) and AP using 6 channel (AP Walkie)?

You're talking about the code words they use when there's a hot girl, right?

There is a nonsense phrase that tells everyone that the armor truck company is here.
All our regular guests have guessed what that phrase means, so its not that useful.

In my opinion, it should be something like BOB.

We use 4 channels: 1 is the main channel, 2 is the privacy channel (to avoid clogging up channel 1), 3 is the backroom channel, and 4 is the dinner channel (the one ETLs use to talk to each other). Hardlines 4 has additional channels.

There is a nonsense phrase that tells everyone that the armor truck company is here.
All our regular guests have guessed what that phrase means, so its not that useful.

We just walkie the LOD to 239 when the truck comes.

we use "3239" for the armored truck. We also call for "hardlines 4" when we need ap, but those are the only code words i'm aware of. For a while "chicken nuggets" was a code for "i need immediate help" because our sr gstl got stuck in food ave and someone ordered chicken nuggets and she didn't know what to do.

lol!!!

CO - cash office, AP doesnt want us to say cash office out loud, etc.
239 - short for 3239 the extension for cash office, used as alternative to CO. Also used to request cash bundles + tank (red cash cart) at end of night.
3209 - AP extension, used by AP when you need to verify their LOC

We use "3239" for the armored truck. We also call for "hardlines 4" when we need AP, but those are the only code words I'm aware of. For a while "chicken nuggets" was a code for "I need immediate help" because our sr GSTL got stuck in Food Ave and someone ordered chicken nuggets and she didn't know what to do.

I'm stealing that and telling the old tm's i know at my old spot store lol.

Hey, can't use BOB.....that's already in use....Bottom Of Basket.
Don't forget his friend.....Lisa.....Look InSide Always!
There's also the cleaning cart......is he named Charlie?

Hey, can't use BOB.....that's already in use....Bottom Of Basket.
Don't forget his friend.....Lisa.....Look InSide Always!
There's also the cleaning cart......is he named Charlie?

Don't forget BOB and LISA!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back