Archived College Degrees

Status
Not open for further replies.
So for anyone who's ever conducted interviews while with Target or who had this apply to them as an applicant, I've been wondering something. How would or does Target check your degree status if you're applying for a TM or TL position?

They call your school and make them confirm that you are listed on their alumni registry.

If you're applying to be a TM, there really isnt any reason to verify if someone has a degree as it isn't a job requirement.

If you're applying to be a TM, there really isnt any reason to verify if someone has a degree as it isn't a job requirement.

See that's why I was asking, because if you're applying to something like TM or TL I don't see why they ask as you're not in a position where they require it, like most SrTLs and ETLs are.

I don't think any of the SrTLs at my store have degrees (I know for a fact at least 1 doesn't because we were talking about college one time and she said she regretted never going)....it's not a requirement. ETL, yes, SrTL, no.

I think they ask for multiple reasons. One would be if you're a recent grad, you may be just using Target as an interim job until you find something in your field. Another may be so that they can brainwash train you for a higher position.

I was only applying for tm, so they didn't need to verify it. They did ask some questions to see if I was gonna leave swiftly. I pretended I was interested in working my way up because I really did think I was gonna leave swiftly lol..

I was only applying for tm, so they didn't need to verify it. They did ask some questions to see if I was gonna leave swiftly. I pretended I was interested in working my way up because I really did think I was gonna leave swiftly lol..

So how long have you been with Spot?

I don't even remember what I said at my interview. My store is so desperate to get bodies hired, as long as you are not a total fXXX up, you will be hired. We have a homeless guy whose clothes and hair are rather dirty at times, and he was hired and gets hours like everyone else. He's a nice enough kid. He seems content to get by on 20 hrs. a week instead of checking the swap book.

I'm one of the few team members at the store that has a college degree. It's kinda embarrassing because people ask "why don't you be an ETL" and my response is "I didn't go to college to be a boss at Target". Awkward silence usually comes next.

I'm one of the few team members at the store that has a college degree. It's kinda embarrassing because people ask "why don't you be an ETL" and my response is "I didn't go to college to be a boss at Target". Awkward silence usually comes next.

So rather than make $50,000 plus with full benefits while gaining experience until you find a job more suited for your college degree you would rather make $8-12 an hour gaining no real relevant work experience?

Not to mention its much easier to low ball you at a future job when your previous income was such a low starting point. Most places if they deem you worthy to hire they wont expect you to take a pay cut.

At some point you have to put the big boy pants on or you are going to just further dig yourself a hole that is much harder to dig yourself out of as you get older. Or you will be living home with Mommy and Daddy until you are almost 30. I dont know their personal situation nor do I know what their degree is in but speaking from personal experience it took me several years to find a job outside of retail and because of it I missed out on earning potential and experience. I wish I would have been an ETL after I graduated.

I dont know their personal situation nor do I know what their degree is in.....
That's right, you don't.
Some people may not have the persona to be an ETL, some may be using their position as a stop-gap while going to school & may not want to deal with the distractions of leadership.
Earning potential can be nebulous if you're entering a completely different profession.
I don't think a lab hiring someone for nuclear medicine research is going to care if you were previously making xx bucks as a department manager at a discount retailer.

Last edited:
Or your degree is from a college that technically no longer exists, is in a subject that would make retail stores treat you like kryptonite, and was so long ago that people will wonder what the hell you've been doing with your life anyway.

That's right, you don't.
Some people may not have the persona to be an ETL, some may be using their position as a stop-gap while going to school & may not want to deal with the distractions of leadership.
Earning potential can be nebulous if you're entering a completely different profession.
I don't think a lab hiring someone for nuclear medicine research is going to care if you were previously making xx bucks as a department manager at a discount retailer.

And their comment comes across that they are some how a better person than an ETL.

How difficult is to become an ETL if you're already with Target but hold a bachelor's? I get the vibe that my development as a TL sort of stopped or forgotten about.

I've had several ETLs that shouldn't have been in that role.
Some had warning signs during their EIT period; we had one termed after he kept opening the cash office without disarming.
So they just might be a better person than an ETL.
Given the lackluster ETLs I've seen over the years I worked for spot, that's not saying much.
And those ETLs were probably in the role just long enough to do what you described.

Even if I "wanted" to be an ETL, I would never be allowed to be one. I don't have the fake attitude and demeanor for it. I've also burned too many bridges to the point where there are no construction workers to build any more bridges. And yes I am working on getting a TEFL certificate. I have the final chapter left and I'm done. I either want to go to Asia or South America.

Last edited by a moderator:
How difficult is to become an ETL if you're already with Target but hold a bachelor's? I get the vibe that my development as a TL sort of stopped or forgotten about.

3 of my etls were once TMs. So it happens, but I'm assuming based on posts I've seen in the past that my store is an outlier.

Some of my coworkers ask me why I dont try for tl or etl too and I just say I can't do it. I can't be a pep machine for a company I talk shit about often. I wouldnt make it past the first interview question. But the main reason for me is it looks stressful as shit lol. Poverty is not as stressful as TLs look to be to me. Even the one who sucks looks worn out all the time. Idc about using my degree. I've read all the stats and they all point to me never ever "using it." I'm okay with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back