Archived Coming back to Target, please tell me I'm not crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sneakerfreak

Softlines TM
Hey guys, I'm a softlines TM returning to Target after 4 years, but at a different location. I left Target the first time because I was looking to make more money. Now I'm in school so money is less of a priority, and I'm basically just using this job for pocket change. So I don't mind the decrease in hours, however I'm starting to get nervous about all of the other changes.

I just accepted the job offer a few days ago and I have orientation later in the week. But I've been hung up on what my new ETL and TL told me during the interview process: "things are very different now." They said it so many times that it seemed like what they were really saying was "Don't get comfortable. We're going to make you work for that pay increase."
My softlines TL also told me that when her TMs don't acknowledge every guest like they're supposed to, they see a "different side of her". Was that an exaggeration or a threat?

One of the main reasons I liked working at Target was because the higher ups were pretty patient and they tried to create a positive experience for everyone. I know that the expectations for TMs have changed, but would you say that TLs/ETLs are any more harsh or disrespectful than they were before? That may be a big red (and khaki) flag for me.

pcky5.jpg

The fast fun and friendly is gone. It was different then. But I think how the leaders treat you is also what kind of person at heart they are.

The fast fun and friendly is gone. It was different then. But I think how the leaders treat you is also what kind of person at heart they are.
Ok, that makes sense. So no matter how crazy Target gets, a good leader is a good leader.

But how does Target keep track of who sells what if no one makes commission?
I don't know how that works as I do not work that department but they just keep bringing so much clothes and the clothes seem to be invading other areas of the backroom that soon they will run out of space. I don't think they can track who sells what unless they have a covert camera in the Zebras and/or walkies and comission should be paid then. And you can apparently "sell" something to them but they may take a spin around the store and take it out of their cart. What they should tell us is how much of the merchandise that people are pressured by a TM to buy end up getting returned?

The whole service and selling thing is like a fad. Hopefully they get their act together and figure it out to stay in business since a lot of good department stores that had been around for centuries are disappearing. And they did sell quality merchandise and it wasn't always pricey. You would just have to know how to shop their sales.

I don't know how that works as I do not work that department but they just keep bringing so much clothes and the clothes seem to be invading other areas of the backroom that soon they will run out of space. I don't think they can track who sells what unless they have a covert camera in the Zebras and/or walkies and comission should be paid then. And you can apparently "sell" something to them but they may take a spin around the store and take it out of their cart. What they should tell us is how much of the merchandise that people are pressured by a TM to buy end up getting returned?

The whole service and selling thing is like a fad. Hopefully they get their act together and figure it out to stay in business since a lot of good department stores that had been around for centuries are disappearing. And they did sell quality merchandise and it wasn't always pricey. You would just have to know how to shop their sales.

It does sound like a fad. Looks like selling RED cards might be taking a backseat now.

A job is a job. I mean you clock in do what is asked of you and then clock out. You get paid..... their isn’t really an easy job..... its what you make of it..... frustrations and disappointments, are part of life.... I mean its a job... good luck and welcome back. You are on this forum so I assume you are decent.... most folks on here are decent.

Ok, general consensus is that I'm out of my mind. However, I'm living for these memes. :D

That's a promise.

The weirdest part was that she said it with a smile on her face. My heart dropped so fast when she said that, but then she kept speaking and I had to act like I hardly heard it.

So, wait, you are going into this with a “me vs. them” attitude?

What do you mean?
It seems like you resent some of what was said during the interview... even mocking your superiors..:: making assumptions about them. I think you should go into this with an open heart and respect for the expectations.

It seems like you resent some of what was said during the interview... even mocking your superiors..:: making assumptions about them. I think you should go into this with an open heart and respect for the expectations.

That's kind of a reach. I said that the higher ups made me nervous about what to expect. Would a decent person like me make fun of my superiors?

That's kind of a reach. I said that the higher ups made me nervous about what to expect. Would a decent person like me make fun of my superiors?
No , a decent person would not make fun of their superiors, like you did.

No , a decent person would not make fun of their superiors, like you did.

I see! Well if you worked at my store you could really put me in my place. I guess I joke too much. Oh well.

Hey guys, I'm a softlines TM returning to Target after 4 years, but at a different location. I left Target the first time because I was looking to make more money. Now I'm in school so money is less of a priority, and I'm basically just using this job for pocket change. So I don't mind the decrease in hours, however I'm starting to get nervous about all of the other changes.

I just accepted the job offer a few days ago and I have orientation later in the week. But I've been hung up on what my new ETL and TL told me during the interview process: "things are very different now." They said it so many times that it seemed like what they were really saying was "Don't get comfortable. We're going to make you work for that pay increase."
My softlines TL also told me that when her TMs don't acknowledge every guest like they're supposed to, they see a "different side of her". Was that an exaggeration or a threat?

One of the main reasons I liked working at Target was because the higher ups were pretty patient and they tried to create a positive experience for everyone. I know that the expectations for TMs have changed, but would you say that TLs/ETLs are any more harsh or disrespectful than they were before? That may be a big red (and khaki) flag for me.

So since there are no actual answers. I'll take a stab at this-

With the modernization process; you may be responsible for working truck, backstock, price changes, and pogs [asants] Your expected to upscale buying Jean's then they need a top and maybe matching shoes. Ob can't forget to mention cartwheel offers and redcard. Guest service is extremely huge. Your expected to greet every guest plus complete all the above listed and work go backs. The "old-timer" TM really struggle with this adjustment because they can't just sit back and do whatever they want. I forgot to mention the fitting room has to be covered at all times; they are now responsible for answering the phones and offering to go get other sizes for the guest maybe even upsell. If your willing to be flexible you will be okay.

Last edited:
So since there are no actual answers. I'll take a stab at this-

With the modernization process; you may be responsible for working truck, backstock, price changes, and pogs [asants] Your expected to upscale buying Jean's then they need a top and maybe matching shoes. Ob can't forget to mention cartwheel offers and redcard. Guest service is extremely huge. Your expected to greet every guest plus complete all the above listed and work go backs. The "old-timer" TM really struggle with this adjustment because they can't just sit back and do whatever they want. I forgot to mention the fitting room has to be covered at all times; they are now responsible for answering the phones and offering to go get other sizes for the guest maybe even upsell. If your willing to be flexible you will be okay.

Well Target was always guest first. That doesn't sound too bad. But they've gotten rid of the Fitting room/Operator position too? That's definitely a lot of jobs combined into one. Still, I think I could manage all of that if there are enough cashiers. The thing that used to slow us down the most was BY FAR having to go up for backup 7+ times a shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back