Archived Communication Between Leaders

Status
Not open for further replies.
How's the communication between leaders at your store? I swear ours don't talk outside of their hour long meetings. I'm often pulled for projects (which I don't mind doing) only to be called my another leader for another project a few minutes later. The other day I was asked to go zone a section because it was getting shopped, I went over and started zoning it and not 5 minutes later another LOD told me they rather have me work on a different project. And when I said another leader asked me to do it, they kind of seem off-putted by it. I don't get whats going on anymore. :confused:

I've had this happen... so much so that I had to have a meeting with HR and the STL. Four bosses with different lists of tasks with each of their areas as priority for me to do while running the Service Desk, Photo and back up cashier... yeah I'll bring peace to the Middle East while I'm at it. After my meeting, things calmed down. The ETLs were communicating a bit more... then they all were shuffled around and we had to start from scratch teaching the new ETLs that their area priorities might not be mine. Just thinking about it is giving me a headache.

bear-grylls-meme-generator-communication-is-hard-better-drink-my-own-piss-1475db.jpg

This was an everyday occurrence when I worked at the super. I Had 10 ETLs and at least 7 of them a day would have a different task or priority for me that had to be done that day. When I transferred back to my gm I made sure that the STL knew that was one of the major reasons I was leaving. It was nearly impossible to function in a store where the exec staff wasn't on the same page about anything. It's no wonder that only 4 of those 10 ETLs are still with the company and that STL sought other opportunities.

Typical Spot conversation.

Mr. Left Hand have you met Mr. Right Hand?
Oh, I didn't know you weren't talking to each other, so sorry.
Pretty much spot on! All leaders have a different set of priorities. So, the poor salesfloor tm's get told different things by different ETLs. If they would just talk to each other first...

Yup. Ctl wants one thing, etl wants another, stl wants a third, lod wants a fourth. I usually do what the lod wants and ask that it's communicated in the closing email. Day shifts are less of a problem.

This happens at least once a week.

LOD: Zone HBA

Me: Okay

Team Lead (over walkie): Danny, what are you working on

Me: HBA zone

Team Lead: Who told you to do that?! Go to pets and chemicals!

It's pretty funny because our new STL shut down the miscommunication between our etls. Now it's all the same thing everyday and we're starting to run a lot smoother. Not perfect but way better than before. The only issues my tms have are when the closing LOD and TL pull them from zoning one department and move them to another. Sometimes we'll come in the morning and only half of chemicals will be done and the other half of hba because they moved that tm half way through their shift.

that's why they need to cut more etls , no need for that many in a store come.on they are just another guest really telling you what to do most don't work at all just tells everyone what to do,, do we really need 4 or more in each store the Tl do 90% of.the work anyway as far as leading the teams.

It happens now and then at my store but at least leadership seems to be mostly on the same page as each other. The real problem is when they forget to let the TMs know what's going on.

Typical Spot conversation.

Mr. Left Hand have you met Mr. Right Hand?
Oh, I didn't know you weren't talking to each other, so sorry.
Some days I think its more like left hand and right foot.

I will say this ( I cant believe I am saying this but there is some good in everyone ) My srtl does a good job communicating with other leaders in the building. If he is off the next day he will leave a email stating what he wants his team working on and usually ( if you are there the day before) he will also tell the team member as well.

There is no communication. No let me rephrase that there is not meaningful and necessary communication. Sales, Red Card etc numbers those are nice to know but the stuff that would make mine and so many other peoples work lives easier well we can't have any of that now can we

That's not even counting senior TLs, but I don't agree with them being used as LODs by themselves. My store has 3 of each right now. Of course, Log and pog don't close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back