Archived Consumables Team Leader Position

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi and hi again to the members who might remember my post from awhile ago about a potential leadership opportunity at my store. My considering a transfer and a general complacency in performing at a high level as a team member kept that from materializing. Almost two years later, I'm in a similar position. My SrTL whom I work closely with was told by Logistics ETL he wants to gauge my level of interest in being interviewed for an opening as Consumables TL during my annual review and walk me through the interview process. It is something she wants to keep on the DL for now. In the time since the previous opportunity I had, a lot has changed. I've worked closely with my SrTL - basically the same schedule, with the exception of this lull in retail quarter when TM's hours are cut - with the store's transition to the new process. Market was ahead of the curve in the sense that sense that they were pushing from "super sorted" U-boats for months before other other departments and behind in the sense that they were on an island, left with repush on a fairly consistent basis and given little to no support with their SP, zones, AF, and trailer push from those not on the thin list of those designated "consumables" on the grid.

Since the other 80 percent of the freight we receive is getting strung along in this new system, from more specific custom blocks to the new repack process of sorting in the backroom to the added responsibilities of pushers doing their backstock and trash, we've seen the challenges faced by the more nuanced process firsthand. Still, we cut some corners at the expense of the Market team, combining sorted vehicles to use empties for our own merchandise, holding off a little on receiving our C & S trailer when we have less than a panel left in our sorting, palletizing beverage vs. using more pushable flats and tubs, using one of their tubs from the ambient room when desperate to get through the sorting, and sending their repush into the backroom market area rather than the salesfloor, which goes against best practice in a process calls for "repush first" since Market TM's arrive later.

The conflict of interest between Market and non-Market, to me, reflects an overlap between workcenters saves their budget hours but makes it hard not to step on others toes without treading lightly. The two consumables team leads since their transition to new process have faltered with both dry market and PFresh more so due to the limitations of the new process than their own shortcomings as leaders, which is scary. We saw as each went from a perceived resolve to make the best of the transition to an almost indifference to the health of their departments to the point of resigning from the position I'm going to be interviewed for. One moment I tell myself I should relish the challenge of it. Then, I think of my frustration as a team member this past Q4 with having so much freight in the backroom that should be on the SF, both push from previous trucks and merchandise stowed away in backroom aisles that belongs on the shelf, either improperly sent as backstock by seasonal pusher or waiting in AF batches backroom TMs don't have time to get to.

I've shared that frustration with my SrTL and we work tirelessly to stay more or less caught up with the push, even when taking 400 - 800 boxes from the three toys departments per truck in Q4, sometimes unloading both trucks, unloading entire trucks solo and working with the pacer to build pallets and flats of toys that would fill up every few minutes. The learning curve was steep for me in the more nuanced process where the sorting is meant to be a "slow crawl," but leaders have recognized my efforts and adaptability thanks to my work ethic and knowledge of the store. Logistics ETL had put me with consumables several times when we were caught up with our own push and asked me of my interest of in working with PFresh to help manage their heavy workload, that it would be fulfilling and much-needed albeit a reprieve from the more physical nature of the work I do now. I've been in a comfort zone working with my SrTL though, which has kept me in my current position, and she appreciates my work as well. However, especially this time of year where hours are limited (I know TLs have a certain amount of guaranteed hours - 36?) I will be taking this opportunity more seriously. Just as they are expecting more of me - to be more of a leader than a worker - I am expecting more, given my own performance.

Does anyone have any tips on the interview process, how I can break out of my comfort zone of the same routine partnered with the same TL, how I can succeed as Consumables TL, and be patient when I occasionally don't? It is great there exists such a knowledgeable community I can turn to. Thanks.

The reviews are still a few months away. Don’t ever bring up the fact that issues have arisen from lack of staffing. Nobody wants to hear that, instead come up ingenious solutions to abundance of freight and lack of push.
Organize->prioritize->execute.
The interview (internal) in most cases is a formality, when you walk through the door for an interview, your work has already done the talking for you.

To me it sounds like your high level team member. You need to think like a leader. When a system is broken, you figure out how to fix it. How often are you making suggestions? Are you coaching your peers? Look at the opportunities the others consumables team leaders had and look at how you fix it? No adding more payroll won't fix it. I recommend getting feedback from your TL/ETL to see what they say.

I'm in consumables, and have been trying to solve the issue of "coming up clean" each day from the orders. So far the only solution (that management doesn't want to hear) is to reduce the size/ frequency of deliveries, or increase payroll. If someone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them, because I'm at the point that I'm losing sleep over this.

I'm in consumables, and have been trying to solve the issue of "coming up clean" each day from the orders. So far the only solution (that management doesn't want to hear) is to reduce the size/ frequency of deliveries, or increase payroll. If someone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them, because I'm at the point that I'm losing sleep over this.
if you want something done do it yourself ... so it's me another fast TM and the CTL always pushing the FDC truck ... I do produce and break down dairy while the other 2 push dairy. then its on to freezer.
so a 800 piece FDC truck can be done with 3 people working 7 hours each.

if you want something done do it yourself ... so it's me another fast TM and the CTL always pushing the FDC truck ... I do produce and break down dairy while the other 2 push dairy. then its on to freezer.
Umm.. that’s amazing. Does that include zone/backstock?

How many deliveries a week do you receive? We get deliveries every day of the week, and milk 3 times a week. I don't mind getting the produce 7 days a week, but yogurt ????

How many deliveries a week do you receive? We get deliveries every day of the week, and milk 3 times a week. I don't mind getting the produce 7 days a week, but yogurt ????
Deliveries everyday but freezer only Tuesday Thursday Saturday Sunday.
Vendor milk Monday Wednesday Friday.

My store can’t seem to put away deliveries 3 times a week, I don’t know how you guys deal with it every day

What is your current routine for FDC?

What is your current routine for FDC?
My first priority is to make room in the stock rooms when I get in (I'm usually alone when the truck arrives). I then remove all the pallets from the truck, and put them in the rooms of the correct temperature . I usually break down produce first, followed by dairy. On any given day, I only have one or two TM's scheduled and I let them push and back stock the dairy vehicles I've created, while I push/ cull/ and back stock produce. If there's time after that all three of us will tackle frozen. We usually make a big dent in the order, but seldom finish.

Deliveries everyday but freezer only Tuesday Thursday Saturday Sunday.
Vendor milk Monday Wednesday Friday.
I like that you get reduced deliveries of frozen; that would help me immensely, but even more so if they did it with dairy. They send me so much yogurt, half of it never sees the light of day, and gets QMOS'd from the back room!

I like that you get reduced deliveries of frozen; that would help me immensely, but even more so if they did it with dairy. They send me so much yogurt, half of it never sees the light of day, and gets QMOS'd from the back room!

I would deep dive into the yogurt issue. Why isn’t it selling? Is it being replenished consistently? Are they signed/labeled properly for pricing? If so, you can request an OTL (order to level) adjustment. Gather your reports on b markdowns vs sales. You’re basically telling HQ, “look at how much I toss vs how much I sell. Can you please stop sending so much?!” Verify your on-hands first of course.

Are you responsible for pushing dry grocery as well?

Are you responsible for pushing dry grocery as well?
No, but I don't wish that on myself . Dry market is just as backed up with product as my area. THAT is definitely a payroll issue. Many days there is just one person pushing dry market from 4am till 12 noon, then there is no one scheduled for that area till sometimes 4 or 6 pm till closing.

No, but I don't wish that on myself . Dry market is just as backed up with product as my area. THAT is definitely a payroll issue. Many days there is just one person pushing dry market from 4am till 12 noon, then there is no one scheduled for that area till sometimes 4 or 6 pm till closing.
At my store they make us push the dry grocery too and on most truck days the U-boats and beverage flat are filled to the maximum. It would be like a dream if we only had to worry about produce, dairy and freezer.

My first priority is to make room in the stock rooms when I get in (I'm usually alone when the truck arrives). I then remove all the pallets from the truck, and put them in the rooms of the correct temperature . I usually break down produce first, followed by dairy. On any given day, I only have one or two TM's scheduled and I let them push and back stock the dairy vehicles I've created, while I push/ cull/ and back stock produce. If there's time after that all three of us will tackle frozen. We usually make a big dent in the order, but seldom finish.

How many pallets do you receive for dairy/fresh?

Why have the coolers on location? Besides frozen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back