COVID-19 Coronavirus...

If it can take up to 14 days once exploded to the virus for you to exhibit symptoms then Brain C will have to self quarantine himself as trump was exposed to someone who tested positive and they shared a podium today.....
I thought I saw them shaking hands???

I think they need to re-evaluate the team member purchasing guidelines in my area. We have to make sure the items is on the shelf for the guest and wait at least 15 mins after opening time. So overnight TMs have no chance. Also the shelves is whipped 10 mins after opening. So team members have no chance, yet if they get sick it’s call out city and no one showing up.

At least let it be one per team member or something. Or I don’t know provide TMs with free hand sanitizer etc.

In my area we’re running like regular with an emphasis on the morning rush and packing out chemicals as much as possible. However, TMs are calling out more and more resulting in a lot of workload building up because the company hasn’t stopped piling more work on us despite knowing we’re in a sticky situation.

It is what it is as they say
from what i saw at my store, before some stuff went out the lead was like "ok does anyone want anything? if you dont get it now you wont see it again" and i thought that was nice. like no one went crazy taking everything they just grabbed an item and paid

On the Ask a Manager open thread today, someone who works for a hand sanitizer company posted that she has customers basically doing that same shit to her over the phone. They've got their production line running 12 hours a day, 7 days a week (when they're normally M-F business hours) but are starting to have issues with no raw materials arriving from China.

The Karens are everywhere.

from what i saw at my store, before some stuff went out the lead was like "ok does anyone want anything? if you dont get it now you wont see it again" and i thought that was nice. like no one went crazy taking everything they just grabbed an item and paid

That is cool.. Ours weren't that together but they did actually get me some help today.. 150 OPU's at open and at one point with five people picking 70 in the que and not dropping..

With everything shutting down and companies offering compensation to those quarantined and at least a promise that people being tested will be tested for free even if they don't have health insurance, could this be the catalyst for stronger sick and leave policies and universal health care? Or will it be a biological wildfire that after it rips through and blows itself out all the supports are forgotten and life is back to screw the poor?

With everything shutting down and companies offering compensation to those quarantined and at least a promise that people being tested will be tested for free even if they don't have health insurance, could this be the catalyst for stronger sick and leave policies and universal health care? Or will it be a biological wildfire that after it rips through and blows itself out all the supports are forgotten and life is back to screw the poor?
Biological wildfire. I have little faith in Americans these days.

I think we’re headed in that direction, even Trump expressed support of paid sick leave this past week.

Question, if we miss work due to the virus and we already live in a state with sick pay, do we have to use those hours, or will there be separate compensation?

The flu has a death rate about 1/20th of COVID-19. 3.4% to 0.1-0.2%.
3.4% is nonsense

Diamond Princess had 3711 passengers. They were ALL tested. 638 tested positive, 306 presented symptoms, 6 died.

0.95% mortality rate

Other #'s are only significantly higher because they're not testing everyone, so there are a lot of minor cases that aren't being recognized which skews statistics.

I'm not saying it isn't more serious than the flu. It is. But 3.4% is still misinformation. The CDC and WHO know it's not that high as well, it's why they haven't published official mortality rate estimates.

Here's the problem. 17% of the people on that boat had it. 0.95% of those died.

There are 327.2 million americans. If 17% of us get it (and it's estimated that way more than that will), that's 55,624,000 Americans with the sickness. If 0.95% of those die, that is still 528,428 dead Americans.

Last edited:
Question, if we miss work due to the virus and we already live in a state with sick pay, do we have to use those hours, or will there be separate compensation?
Separate compensation. You do not need to use sick pay for the first two weeks you miss, and if you miss more than that you can claim short term disability. That's only if you are diagnosed with covid19 though, not just if you call in sick and don't see a doctor and "maybe" have it.

I’m a little concerned with how busy the crowds were today. Without giving away my exact store, it’s I n the NYC/Westchester area, and it’s basically ground zero for cases on the east coast. Yet people are going out in large crowds without a care in the world. I was thinking that the more cases were announced, the smaller the crowds would be, but it’s having the opposite effect.

3.4% is nonsense

Diamond Princess had 3711 passengers. They were ALL tested. 638 tested positive, 306 presented symptoms, 6 died.

0.95% mortality rate

Other #'s are only significantly higher because they're not testing everyone, so there are a lot of minor cases that aren't being recognized which skews statistics.

I'm not saying it isn't more serious than the flu. It is. But 3.4% is still misinformation. The CDC and WHO know it's not that high as well, it's why they haven't published official mortality rate estimates.

There are 327.2 million americans. If 17% of us get it (and it's estimated that way more than that will), that's 55,624,000 Americans with the sickness. If 0.95% of those die, that is still 528,428 dead Americans.
People on a cruise ship also tend to be pretty healthy. It takes a healthy mind to cut through the red tape for the passport and to plan the details, a healthy body to travel to and from the ship and handle the seasickness of days at sea, and a healthy wallet to afford the cruise which means good doctors and years of eating right. Cruise goers will start off healthier than the general population and will be more resilient to illness.

3.4% is nonsense

0.95% mortality rate

The number would definitely be lower if these mother fuckers would test everyone!! But you practically have to French kiss a person from China to get a test.

The number would definitely be lower if these mother fuckers would test everyone!! But you practically have to French kiss a person from China to get a test.
Where my husband is currently working a couple started to feel sick a couple days after returning from an Egyptian trip, runny nose and some coughing. They were very smart and considerate of others and went straight to a hospital. Not a rinky dink one, a hospital that is part of a large medical group with several hospitals, medical centers, diagnostic centers and a few hundred doctor offices, all in several cities. The hospital refused to test them because they didn't fit the criteria.

Being very considerate, they self quarantined. Being smart they called the health department. After that conversation the hospital called them back and asked them to be tested. (I wonder how bad of a chewing out the hospital got from the health department.) Guess who were cases #1 and 2 for that city and single digit cases in that metropolitan area?

People on a cruise ship also tend to be pretty healthy. It takes a healthy mind to cut through the red tape for the passport and to plan the details, a healthy body to travel to and from the ship and handle the seasickness of days at sea, and a healthy wallet to afford the cruise which means good doctors and years of eating right. Cruise goers will start off healthier than the general population and will be more resilient to illness.

Not to mention mortality rate, especially among a small population, is simple math to do to make you feel better, but ignores all of the other realities that make this a serious situation.

Here's the math around risks to hospitals being overwhelmed

The U.S. has about 2.8 hospital beds per 1,000 people (South Korea and Japan, two countries that have seemingly thwarted the exponential case growth trajectory, have more than 12 hospital beds per 1,000 people; even China has 4.3 per 1,000). With a population of 330 million, this is about 1 million hospital beds. At any given time, about 68% of them are occupied. That leaves about 300,000 beds available nationwide.

At a 10% hospitalization rate, all hospital beds in the U.S. will be filled by about May 10. And with many patients requiring weeks of care, turnover will slow to a crawl as beds fill with Covid-19 patients.

But this presumes there is no uptick in demand for beds from non-Covid-19 causes, a dubious presumption. As the health care system becomes increasingly burdened and prescription medication shortages kick in, people with chronic conditions that are normally well-managed may find themselves slipping into states of medical distress requiring hospitalization and even intensive care. For the sake of this exercise, though, let’s assume that all other causes of hospitalization remain constant.

Shortages of these two resources — beds and masks — don’t stand in isolation but compound each other’s severity. Even with full personal protective equipment, health care workers are becoming infected while treating patients with Covid-19. As masks become a scarce resource, doctors and nurses will start dropping from the workforce for weeks at a time, leading to profound staffing shortages that further compound the challenges.

And, the money shot:

Unwarranted panic does no one any good, but neither does ill-informed complacency. It’s inappropriate to assuage the public with misleading comparisons to the seasonal flu or by assuring people that there’s “only” a 2% fatality rate. The fraction of cases that are severe really sets Covid-19 apart from more familiar respiratory illnesses, compounded by the fact that it’s whipping through a population without natural immune protection at lightning speed.

Back