COVID-19 Coronavirus...

Yeah there’s already talks about a shelter-in-place order possible in NYC. I expect the same in places all over the country.
I'm really glad I'm not the only one expecting this. I just want others to be prepared. I don't know why some people can't seem to believe that. When you read about different cities in the U.S. there's a definite pattern. And that's exactly how we make predictions, based on patterns.

I went food shopping today at Target, it was really odd. I never found where hand sanitizer is supposed to be, so I have no clue if it was completely empty or not. About half the hand soap was gone, but half was there, along with a single abandoned baby water. As expected toilet paper and paper towels were gone....but there were still plenty of napkins and lots of Kleenex brand tissues. Not that many pads - but plenty of tampons. In the water section there were two packs of 12pk water left...but a lot of Deer Park 100 oz water. Baby water in baby hardlines was full (I couldn't find a price for Deer Park and figured it was left over due to price) and on the way to the registers I passed by a pallet of baby water. Almost no margarine - but plenty of butter. No crunchy taco shells - but nearly full for soft taco and burrito shells. Full milk cooler - but no eggs. Frozen shrimp and frozen raw fish were nearly out - but lots of hamburger, steak, chicken and pork.

It was almost surreal, both for the oddities like taco shells being out and for coveted items having nearly the same thing still being in stock.

Very concerning to come into work, wear gloves so that I minimize my risks of infection / touching my face, and have every single coworker who passes me laugh and ask if I'm scared. That it wasn't a huge deal. That they were mad, actually, that such and such place was closed. Would feel far better about showing up to work if my coworkers, at least, showed some understanding of the severity of the issue. : / Guests, too, but that's an obvious one.

but if someone coughs, water droplets and aerosols stay in the air with the virus for hours.

It is unlikely the virus is truly aerosolized. Even measles, which is one of the few truly aerosolized viruses, and is highly transmissible, only stays contagious in the air for 2 hours. The evidence does not indicate coronavirus is like that.

The weight of the evidence suggests that the new coronavirus can exist as an aerosol — a physics term meaning a liquid or solid (the virus) suspended in a gas (like air) — only under very limited conditions, and that this transmission route is not driving the pandemic. But “limited” conditions does not mean “no” conditions, underlining the need for health care workers to have high levels of personal protection, especially when doing procedures such as intubation that have the greatest chance of creating coronavirus aerosols. “I think the answer will be, aerosolization occurs rarely but not never,” said microbiologist and physician Stanley Perlman of the University of Iowa. “You have to distinguish between what’s possible and what’s actually happening.”

The main instance they're seeing of aerosolization is around intubation of infected patients. So, not something you're likely to see at Target. You're far more likely to pick it up by touching something that has been coughed or sneezed on, not walking through air someone has coughed in (unless you're within a few seconds).

In droplet form, the coronavirus is airborne for a few seconds after someone sneezes or coughs. It’s able to travel only a short distance before gravitational forces pull it down. Someone close enough for the virus particles to reach in that brief period can therefore be infected. So can anyone who comes into contact with virus-containing droplets that fall onto a surface. The new coronavirus can survive on surfaces for several hours; hence the importance of hand-washing after touching a surface in a public place.

Well, good for you. However, you, as it turns out, aren't the only person in the world. Though that may come as a shock.
the post i replied to was just saying that they cant imagine anyone still not thinking this is a big deal. so i responded, that i do think that. my personal experience is my way of life is unchanged.

theres absolutely no implication that i assumed im the only person in the world. if you happen to instantly assume that my day to day puts people in danger, then i will assume its cos your day to day does. in which case, im sorry you don't wash your hands properly and needed a pandemic to teach you to

the post i replied to was just saying that they cant imagine anyone still not thinking this is a big deal. so i responded, that i do think that. my personal experience is my way of life is unchanged.
theres absolutely no implication that i assumed im the only person in the world. if you happen to instantly assume that my day to day puts people in danger, then i will assume its cos your day to day does. in which case, im sorry you don't wash your hands properly and needed a pandemic to teach you to
Wow. I could be your co-worker. I was on the floor busting my ass next to you for the last few weeks until my ONE day off when I started running a fever and feeling like crap. I washed my fucking hands until my skin cracked. Wanna see my fingernails? (Trust me, you don't. They're gross.) I'm currently sacrificing 40+ hours this week because I went to the doctor, wound up being tested, and am now quarantined until I get test results (three days in - 12 more days possible). I'm getting STD pay, which is 75%. Nice, but nothing near what I could make if I were actually working. So take your "im [sic] sorry you don't wash your hands properly" etc. and shove it under your TM name tag.

Wow. I could be your co-worker. I was on the floor busting my ass next to you for the last few weeks until my ONE day off when I started running a fever and feeling like crap. I washed my fucking hands until my skin cracked. Wanna see my fingernails? (Trust me, you don't. They're gross.) I'm currently sacrificing 40+ hours this week because I went to the doctor, wound up being tested, and am now quarantined until I get test results (three days in - 12 more days possible). I'm getting STD pay, which is 75%. Nice, but nothing near what I could make if I were actually working. So take your "im [sic] sorry you don't wash your hands properly" etc. and shove it under your TM name tag.
i dont wear a name tag but i'll keep that in mind

This past week I've been struggling with whether it is fact or a fictitious view of how much support Target has for its team going forward. In two weeks I will look back at my apprehensiveness knowing whether or not Target is at all concerned about their team risking their health in a community service selling toilet paper. I have children I want to keep home and I have need for an income. Today I am going to make a choice if I am going to remain and take my chances in such unsafe working conditions, or quit and face financial hardship. Target certainly can do many things to protect its team, but I am afraid that they don't have the backbone. It might be an easy choice today.

Truthful version:

Over the past few days, so many of you have been in our stores and on our website stocking up on all the essential things you need to keep your families healthy and safe sell on the secondary market.

I want you to know that your health and safety is our first last priority, too.

We’ve always taken great pride in our clean and well-run stores, understaffed, underzoned & understocked stores due to hour cuts, and we know this is more important than ever right now we will continue to cut hours as much as possible to try to keep profits up once the bottom drops out of everything. On top of our daily rare-to-nonexistent cleaning procedures, we’re adding hours to each store’s payroll to make our routines even more rigorous that stores will likely not use to clean, but to try to catch up on freight. This means you should bring your own disinfecting wipes and wipe down the touchscreens and any other surface you might want to touch yourself more time will be spent cleaning our stores, including cleaning surfaces like checklanes and touchscreens at least every 30 minutes. Like many others, we’re taking ignoring guidance from the CDC, which recommends regular cleaning as one of the most important preventive measures we can take. And, out of an abundance of caution because it eats into our profits just a bit, we’ve temporarily stopped food sampling in our stores.

We’re also staffing up our teams pulling from other areas of the store to support in-demand services like Order Pickup and Drive Up.

And of course, we’re committed to taking care advantage of our team. For weeks, we’ve provided them the few people who have time and/or access to Workbench, with up-to-the-moment generic, obvious guidance and information so they can keep themselves and their families safe, except for offering sick time for those who are sick, which is the one thing that would actually help. We’re encouraging sick team members to stay home not giving TMs sick time so they can stay home and pay rent, and asking our teams to travel only if it’s business critical. And, to help support our team in real-time, we’ve set up a forum where we’re sharing information and taking questions 24/7.

Speaking of our team, they are working around the clock from 4-9am, if you're lucky, to make sure that the products you want are available when you need them. As demand for cleaning products, medicine, pantry stock-up items and more remains high, we’re sending more products to our stores as quickly as possible. And this weekend, we started to limit the number of key items per purchase, which will allow more guests to get what they need.

At the center of our company’s purpose is a commitment to help all families maximizing shareholder value, and it’s something we take to heart in good times and bad. This is why we’ll be working hard to keep our stores open so we can be there to support you and your families take advantage of your fear to line the pockets of upper management and our shareholders.
Well said. It makes so much sense.

To the younger and inexperienced folks AND to the trusting, honest hard working older folks Listen to me, Target doesn't give a flying fuck about employees and you must get that through your thick innocent skulls. YOU do what is best for you and that involves eliminating all chances of contracting this Chinese bred shit. The liberals love to call that racist, fuck them all, it's a devastating disgusting disease that started in China. If you feel compromised in the least, stay home.

Gotta love the Walmart white trash buying $150 worth of toilet paper at one shopping spree. Awesome!
If I was a store manager and I saw this, I would put a stop to it right away, with or without corporate's approval. This is a common sense thing. You can't let one shopper buy 20 shopper's worth of toilet paper. Are they looking to start a branch davidian compound? It's a crying shame that humanity needs saved from humanity's inhumanity.

To be fair, there are people who will probably be told at some point they can't leave their house for a few weeks. It's happened in other countries around the world. Look at Italy, the entire country is shut down.

If corona virus caused massive explosive diarrhea, I could see a reason for stocking up on toilet paper. Hysteria is more infectious than any disease. We have hurricanes, tornadoes, wildfires, tsunamis, etc, and still don't sell out of toilet paper. This is a little ridiculous.

If I were locked into any of the three Targets around, with the inventory of the one I saw yesterday, I could feed any trapped people for a while. After all, there's grills in Seasonal, some nice toaster ovens and lots of pots and pans in Kitchen. Yeah, near the end of the siege people might be tired of reconstituted dried goods, but it'd be still pretty healthy.

Back