COVID-19 Coronavirus...

question tho how does quarantine....work? like it stops the spread yeah but when is it decided that everyone can come out? when the vaccine is made? when cases go down? what happens if someone who was quarantined comes out, didnt realize they had it and it spreads again is that a thing

question tho how does quarantine....work? like it stops the spread yeah but when is it decided that everyone can come out? when the vaccine is made? when cases go down? what happens if someone who was quarantined comes out, didnt realize they had it and it spreads again is that a thing
In my opinion, the aim is to stagger cases, to slow the spread. To slow the spread, but not to stop it because stopping it is impossible. But slowing the spread makes it easier to deal with, versus being overwhelmed by cases all at once. Overrunning hospitals compounds the problem.

Anyone know how you qualify for and how quickly the 30 days paid leave starts
when i took my LOA they told me it was only for age 65+ and people who are pregnant, they didnt see Asthma as qualifying for the paid leave. but my health is more important and i have enough funds to last 30 days so i will be fine

Essential services according to the state of New York.
I'm pretty sure that most states will follow the same description.

Essential health care operations including

• research and laboratory services
  • hospitals
  • walk-in-care health facilities
  • veterinary and animal health services
  • elder care
  • medical wholesale and distribution
  • home health care workers or aides
  • doctor and dentist offices
  • nursing homes, or residential health care facilities or congregate care facilities
  • medical supplies and equipment providers
2. Essential infrastructure including

• utilities including power generation, fuel supply and transmission
  • public water and wastewater
  • telecommunications and data centers
  • airports/airlines
  • transportation infrastructure such as bus, rail, or for-hire vehicles, garages
3. Essential manufacturing including

• food processing, including all foods and beverages
  • chemicals
  • medical equipment/instruments
  • pharmaceuticals
  • safety and sanitary products
  • telecommunications
  • microelectronics/semi-conductor
  • agriculture/farms
  • paper products
4. Essential retail including

• grocery stores including all food and beverage stores
  • pharmacies
  • convenience stores
  • farmer’s markets
  • gas stations
  • restaurants/bars (but only for take-out/delivery)
  • hardware and building material stores
5. Essential services including

• trash and recycling collection, processing and disposal
  • mail and shipping services
  • laundromats/dry cleaning
  • building cleaning and maintenance
  • child care services
  • auto repair
  • warehouse/distribution and fulfillment
  • funeral homes, crematoriums and cemeteries
  • storage for essential businesses
  • animal shelters or animal care or management
6. News media

7. Financial Institutions including

• banks
  • insurance
  • payroll
  • accounting
8. Providers of basic necessities to economically disadvantaged populations including

• homeless shelters and congregate care facilities
  • food banks
  • human services providers whose function includes the direct care of patients in state-licensed or funded voluntary programs; the care, protection, custody and oversight of individuals both in the community and in state-licensed residential facilities; those operating community shelters and other critical human services agencies providing direct care or support
9. Construction including

• skilled trades such as electricians, plumbers
  • other related construction firms and professionals for essential infrastructure or for emergency repair and safety purposes
10. Defense

• defense and national security-related operations supporting the U.S. Government or a contractor to the US government
11. Essential services necessary to maintain the safety, sanitation and essential operations of residences or other essential businesses including

• law enforcement
  • fire prevention and response
  • building code enforcement
  • security
  • emergency management and response
  • building cleaners or janitors
  • general maintenance whether employed by the entity directly or a vendor
  • automotive repair
  • disinfection
  • doormen
12. Vendors that provide essential services or products, including logistics and technology support, child care and services needed to ensure the continuing operation of government agencies and provide for the health, safety and welfare of the public including

• logistics
  • technology support
  • child care programs and services
  • government owned or leased buildings
  • essential government services
If the function of your business is not listed above, but you believe that it is essential or it is an entity providing essential services or functions, you may request designation as an essential business.

So for those of you who are thinking Spot will shut down their stores this piece is their excuse for not closing.
  • grocery stores including all food and beverage stores
  • pharmacies
  • convenience stores
  • farmer’s markets
  • gas stations
  • restaurants/bars (but only for take-out/delivery)
  • hardware and building material stores

when i took my LOA they told me it was only for age 65+ and people who are pregnant, they didnt see Asthma as qualifying for the paid leave. but my health is more important and i have enough funds to last 30 days so i will be fine
Did you call leave and disability? Your store doesn't get to decide. You will need a Dr note. 1800 828 5850. Call Monday. If you are already on a personal leave, they can fix it.

Yeah, Gen X here, we've been invisible since we aged past the point of being the root of all evil in Boomers' eyes because that mantle was passed to the next generation.

I think some might be confused about ages if generations. People demonize milennials, but they're between 25-39. Yes, they're definitely the ones still bringing 4 kids in tow. I still have a LOT of elderly meandering through Style and around here they're the ones who complain loudly and rudely. Not seeing the teens and early 20s as much as I thought (Gen Z if you're looking for labels).

ALL generations have the potential to be raging assholes or ignorant of others. I'm an Xer managing 90% Gen Z and I'm lucky to have the girls I do. They're hardworking and conscientious and I wouldn't trade them for the world.

Every generation has shitheads. We see around here a lot of old guys in the hot rod pick up trucks drive like fucking maniacs, speeding, running signs, the works. You can spot them a mile away on the road: If you see behind you the old man with gray moustache and goatee, the obligatory cigarette, maybe a baseball cap, the aggressive arm movements, obligatory tattoo'ed arm hanging out of the window (with cigarette of course) you can bet your life, your 401-K, your cash fund (transferred from securities) your portfolio and your life that he will fly up behind you, crawl up your ass and tail gate you. In over 50 years of driving the safest folks I have seen recently are college age girls and young mothers. Teen boys should not get drivers licenses.

I’ve seen every age in our store today. It was basically a “normal” Saturday. We are under an essential only so we must stay open because of market. I did hear from our store manager that we are closing Starbucks starting Monday so hopefully that will help a little. Some guests were wearing gloves and masks (one lady had only one glove on - not sure what that was) but again, most people just doing the Target stroll with their kids running around wild.

Quarantine serves two purposes: If you were exposed, it gives a window to see IF symptoms show up.
Currently there is NO vaccine but tests using an old malaria drug show signs of faster/shorter recovery.
If no symptoms show up during the length of incubation then you would be safe to resume activities after your time is up.
If symptoms manifest during ANY time of quarantine, you would have to isolate yourself until the virus has run its course.
If someone leaves quarantine early before symptoms develop they CAN spread it; that's why it's so important to remain in quarantine long enough to ensure you DON'T have it.
The people most dangerous are those who have come in contact with an infected person/have tested positive & DON'T quarantine; THAT'S how it's spread.

Boomers mad.

But, okay, let's go into this.

Who is the reason it spread in multiple states? Boomers.

Who refused to self-quarantine in the early days? Boomers.

Who refuses to let any progressive policies such as universal health care or paid time off pass because they by-and-large vote Republican? Boomers.

Who refuses to close down Target because they have to do shopping? Spoilers, both the whining guests and corporate are...You fuckin' guessed it, boomers.
Millenials: morons who probably shouldn't have been allowed to breed. When their spawn start getting sick; it will be their fault. I do feel sorry for the kids who got stuck with these shitty parents.

And GenX just sits back and laughs at you both.. We are long out of fucks to give.

Nothing is going to stop the spread. The hope is to slow down the virus, to keep from having too many patients, not enough hospital beds.

Life will go back to normal when one of two things happen -
a) There is a vaccine produced and nearly everyone is inoculated and herd immunity protects those who can't get a vaccine. (Government, please remove religious and moral objection clauses for this future vaccine. Now's not the time to pander to the crazies.)
b) So many people have caught and recovered from COVID-19 that there's no more risk of running out of hospital beds for those who are still uninfected.

COVID-19 is the new norm. Accept it and get used to it. It and its future mutations are well entrenched in human populations. Its efficiency in killing means the more virulent mutations are killing themselves off before they can hop hosts, so the sheer nastiness will likely scale back in the next few years, just like with all dangerous viruses. The big question is if we will need to include it as a childhood vaccine for future generations or if it will mutate too quickly, as quickly as the common cold or influenza, plaguing people forever and increasing the stock prices of Kleenex and Dayquil (yes, a touch of gallows humor).

Like I said in another post, society will survive. We may even end up with some social safety net and worker protections we didn't have. But the old normal is gone, though it may come back decades from now, when everyone living doesn't remember life before COVID-19 and view it as just another nasty respiratory virus. The new normal is that this very dangerous virus has fractured our entire view of the world and upended our daily lives and it's here to stay, and we have to learn how to coexist with it. We have to slow it down, and with the sheer number of people in the US and the crazy number of people in the world slowing it down long enough to not overwhelm the medical system is going to take a looooong time. But after that point of medical safety, we can start creating a brand new normal.

My biggest concern right now - and my focus here isn't on politics but on Target and its future - is the COVID-19 hysteria is being implemented in a manner which is destroying the ability of many people to earn a living. The impact of destroying much of a $21 trillion U.S. economy with widespread "stay home" edicts and draconian restrictions on normal life will lead to many more deaths than the COVID-19 virus. The biggest impact will be massive elimination of small businesses, but the impact of a prolonged shutdown of the economy (more than a few weeks at best) is very likely to cripple Target as a company. Target has taken on a massive debt load (around $7 billion) on the company-wide stores modernization initiative. It's going to quickly become hard to pay the debts and to pay suppliers.

Dear team mates, keep in mind that the highest-volume selling items are relatively low-profit merchandise. The majority of the grocery items, health-related items and cleaning/household supplies which are flying off the shelves are national-brand items (rather than higher-margin house brands). There isn't as much profit margin due to price competition on national-brand stuff. Margins are certainly lower than on ready-to-wear (apparel), softlines and many of the hardlines items. Additionally, if the massive disruption of the economy (and job losses) lasts for any length of time, Target and other stores like Walmart may face an unprecedented epidemic of shoplifting by morally-challenged but increasingly-desperate people.

The worst-case scenario may not materialize but this draconian economic shutdown of the $21 trillion U.S. economy - in the name of combatting a very serious illness but one which does not kill every single person (over 99.8% of Wuhan, China residents are still alive) - might result in destroying the ability of most retail companies to stay in business. Jobs and livelihoods are at stake, and the economic impact of shutting down almost all workplaces will seriously harm Target and Walmart, and overall is almost certainly worse than the actual disease.

Last edited:

I've seen a few things on this recently. Essentially, once the number of new cases starts to decrease, to the point where only a few new cases are popping up, you can start to let people return to normal, but gradually. China sent people back to work half time, in shifts, with social distancing in place as people start moving more.

But it will come back, until or unless we get a solid vaccine. It may turn out to be endemic and something that comes back slightly mutated again and again. Hard to say yet, though.

And there's this fairly detailed article: Coronavirus: The Hammer and the Dance - https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

For the economy, I saw an essay earlier that I'm trying to find that argued for basically shutting down the economy as much as possible. Suspend mortgage, rent, lease, utilities payments. Issue a $600 per person UBI. Essential services remain open but most businesses close. I forget some of the finer points, so I'll try to find it again, as it was interesting. ETA: Found it: Putting the Economy in Suspended Animation: A Proposal - https://continuations.com/post/613206134869901312/putting-the-economy-in-suspended-animation-a

Last edited:
And GenX just sits back and laughs at you both.. We are long out of fucks to give.
I've got a soft spot for Gen X. I have a lot of Boomer traits like work ethic and sense of responsibility, but yet there is a part of me that identifies with the slackers.

For the economy, I saw an essay earlier that I'm trying to find that argued for basically shutting down the economy as much as possible. Suspend mortgage, rent, lease, utilities payments. Issue a $600 per person UBI. Essential services remain open but most businesses close. I forget some of the finer points, so I'll try to find it again, as it was interesting. ETA: Found it: Putting the Economy in Suspended Animation: A Proposal - https://continuations.com/post/613206134869901312/putting-the-economy-in-suspended-animation-a
Huge problem I see is when the immediate crisis passes. Say we shut down the economy for 3 months. People aren't working so money is sparse. To help we suspend rent/mortgage payments during that time. 3 months are up, people start looking for jobs at the businesses that didn't go bankrupt during the three months, jobs are difficult to find because many businesses dies....and the utilities, landlords and banks slap a bill down for three months worth of utilities, lump sum. All shutting down did was delay the economic/financial disaster.

The idea is that the businesses aren't going to need to pay rent or utilities or the overhead they would normally have, so they enter stasis themselves. Right now, businesses are shut down, but still on the hook for all of those things so they go bankrupt.

The idea is that the businesses aren't going to need to pay rent or utilities or the overhead they would normally have, so they enter stasis themselves. Right now, businesses are shut down, but still on the hook for all of those things so they go bankrupt.
And people? They will still be using electricity. They will still be using natural gas. They still need rent/mortgage.

Businesses? If they want to open in the exact same spot, they still need rent/mortgage.

The only way I can see it working is if the government subsidizes utility producers and calls a complete halt to rent and mortgage companies/private landlords as well as property taxes and declares communism until it's over. But that's not going to happen. Any less, the lenders/landlords and utility companies won't need to collect money but they will demand every penny out of greed.

Back