Archived Coupon policy change!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chipping in my two cents:

Original news spread (Thanks to yours truly) before the REDwire notice hit my store.
STL Immediately put it into effect in regards to the returns of coupon based transactions.

Scammer Guest came in and tried to return a $450 HBA transaction... We denied it, she called Guest Relations. Guest relations transferred us to Corporate directly, and we were told to do the return this time.

STL is now completely on board with denying any coupon based transaction, so long as it seems as if it's "beyond the norm of personal use".

My GSTL's and myself had a little dance party in our 3239 hallway.

Well, if they tell you to do it "this" time, then there's no sense in having. The policy. Because they know that as soon as they call, we will capitulate.

Your ETL-GE... is only worried about surveys and nothing else. If your STL supports the new coupon policy, maybe someone should put a bug in their ear about it.

So... should I mention it to the STL? I finally know who the STL is after nearly 4 months of working at Target. I'm not sure how/when I could talk to her about it aside from catching her as she walks by.

You could ask the STL for clarification (ie: "I heard it's changed recently so we're supposed to do XX?") but I wouldn't mention a peep about what the ETL-GE said/told you. Otherwise you'll be seen as going over their head & they WILL retaliate.

You could ask the STL for clarification (ie: "I heard it's changed recently so we're supposed to do XX?") but I wouldn't mention a peep about what the ETL-GE said/told you. Otherwise you'll be seen as going over their head & they WILL retaliate.

Yeah I definitely don't want to get on the ETL GE's bad side so if I do talk to her I'll do that.

Just had our first guest have a fit due to the new coupon policy. Our store is limiting guests to 4 of the same item. With the $15 off $50 coupon for household & laundry products this week, guests are buying lots of the lower cost items and attempting to use a fistful of coupons. I saw on one coupon website where you could get around 20 or so items for .41 per item--haha. Anyway, she thought that since we didn't have signs up advising of the limit, the limit didn't apply to her. Then she threatened to not buy anything . And that didn't work either. So, she left empty handed. It was great!

I did a little dance myself. I happily answer calls to the GSD to show the new policy to long time abusers threatening to call corporate. I make sure to spell my name for them so they get it correct.

Still no dice at my store. Our APBP told AP we need to enforce it. Our STL/ETL-GE said no way. So my GSTL and I are keeping track of every fraudulent return transaction we can so he can give the pile to the APBP next time he sees her so he can ask her what exactly he can do.

Your APBP while not directly over the STL does have rank over them. The APBP will get their way unless the DTL doesn't support it.

Your AP leader should already be speaking to the APBP about the STL and GE resistance to enforcing policy. They are the ones that have to speak to the fraud that is occurring and stop it.

Your APBP while not directly over the STL does have rank over them. The APBP will get their way unless the DTL doesn't support it.

Your AP leader should already be speaking to the APBP about the STL and GE resistance to enforcing policy. They are the ones that have to speak to the fraud that is occurring and stop it.

Our AP did talk to both the APBP about this and with our store management (a couple of times)...and keeps getting shot down. They won't support the policy because they think/know (not sure which) that our DTL is not on board with this new policy.

Tonight I had a $400+ return for razors. I did a reprint on the receipt and then printed out the billions of receipts tied to it for my GSTL's stack. That'll be a great one to pass on to the APBP next time he sees her.

I couldn't take it anymore. Our new GSTL went to another store in my district, and we found out they are turning all of these idiots away. And tonight, I decided "what the hell?" And did it as well.

The guy came up with a huge bag of razors, and a basket full of razors, wanting to exchange them out. I said no. He finally insisted on calling corporate. Corporate backed me up, but the idiot put me on hold and hung up on me when he decided he should check with his supervisor to be sure he couldn't do anything for the guest.

So I called again. The girl backed me up again! We eventually caved and took back three as a reasonable household quantity. But whatever. The guy was not happy.

Unfortunately, I was rude at the end. He was whining about how he was just trying to get this done for a good cause, blah, blah, blah. And unfortunately after he wasted my time for over a half hour, I said under my breath, "yeah, right."

I apologized when he called me out for it. And I did give my LOD the heads up that I was rude at the end and what I said, in case he wants to call and complain again.

If he does, I'll take my lumps. And I'm sure my etl will get pissed for not taking them all back, but whatever. I no longer care.

My favorite when they give me their heartfelt shpiel about why they're returning our entire HBA section in one trip is to just stare at them blankly until they just taper off and we're both left staring at each other. Then I end it with a peppy, ¨Have a great day!"

But good for you, @Retail Girl . And good luck with the ETL. Mine just recently told me her raise is more important than sales, so I understand the suckiness that surrounds the ETLs with this stuff. :/

Talked to one of my gal pals at SD & she's a happy camper these days.
I saw our STL & asked him about it; he just smiled.

So when I first started working Guest Services, I got my first experience with a coupon scammer who had a return. She pulled out two items asking to do a return, I said yes, and I couldn't see her cart from where I was standing, she proceeds to pull out a full bag of HBA items. I did return them and when my LOD came up afterwards, was beyond angry about it.

So, for the most part, most of my LOD's are completely on board with me denying their return.

The other day I had a guest who came in with two big bags. He pulled out the first bag and handed me the receipt, I told him I'm sorry you have to go back to the store you purchased these at to return them. He said okay. Then he gives me the second bag, and low and behold, it's a receipt from our store. I again denied him and he got all fussy with me, so I called my manager up and he pulled the "race" card and said he called corporate.

From your guys experience, can you tell me what is the best way to word that you cannot return their items because it is fraudulent without calling them out or being rude, I've had trouble coming up with a way to word it.

If you don't have a copy of this at your desk, print & keep a copy in each drawer.
If he presented a receipt & it showed that coupons were tendered, refer to the highlighted part below:
Target Stores Coupon Policy

Coupons are a great way to save even more when shopping with us, and it's easy to use them at our stores. While use of coupons and other discounts provide a way to achieve great deals, abuse is prevalent in today’s environment. Store leaders have the ability to deny a purchase or return if guests’ reoccurring behavior becomes disruptive or the items are shown not to be for the purpose of using or gifting. When accepting coupons, we follow the guidelines below.

Manufacturer and Target Coupons:
  • No more than one manufacturer coupon, one Target coupon (Target mobile coupons are Target coupons), and one Cartwheel℠ offer can be combined per item (unless prohibited by coupon).
  • We reserve the right to accept, refuse, or limit the use of any coupon and/or the subsequent return of items purchased with coupons.
  • Limit of 4 identical coupons per household, per day (unless otherwise noted on coupon).
  • We do not accept expired coupons.
  • All valid coupons must be presented to the cashier during checkout and have a scannable barcode.
  • Item purchased must match the coupon description (brand, size, quantity, color, flavor, etc.).
  • Coupons are void if copied, scanned, transferred, purchased, sold, prohibited by law, or appear altered in any way.
  • Coupon amount may be reduced if it exceeds the value of the item after other discounts or coupons are applied.
  • We do not give cash back if the face value of a coupon is greater than the purchase value of the item.
  • Guest pays tax on full retail value, including the coupon value, of Manufacturer Coupons. Target coupons reduce the taxable value.
  • We cannot accept coupons from other retailers, or coupons for products not carried in our stores.
  • Some items may not be available at all stores.
  • These guidelines apply to all coupons accepted at Target (Color Checkout Coupons, Print-at-Home Coupons, Mobile Coupons, Mailed Coupons, Coupons from Newspapers and Magazines, etc.).
  • Target coupons aren’t refundable.
  • We regularly monitor the Coupon Information Corporation (CIC) website for counterfeit coupons. We do not accept counterfeit coupons.
  • Our Quantity Limit Policy is available on the policy board near Guest Services. We reserve the right to limit quantities. Note that the Quantity Limit Policy is in place for all transactions regardless of coupon usage.

Internet (Print-at-Home) Coupons:
  • We gladly accept valid internet coupons with a scannable barcode.
  • We do not accept internet coupons for free items with no purchase requirements.

Category/Department and Storewide Coupons:
  • If redeeming more than one category/department or storewide coupon, you must meet the purchase requirements for each coupon individually.
  • If redeeming a category/department coupon plus a storewide coupon, you must meet the purchase requirements for each coupon individually.
  • Percent off coupons will apply to all qualifying items in the transaction. No other same category/department or storewide coupon will apply.

Buy One Get One Free Coupons (BOGO):
  • BOGO coupons cannot be combined (i.e. you cannot use two BOGO coupons on two items and get both for free). Unless stated otherwise on the coupon, the use of one Buy One Get One Free coupon requires that two of the valid items are presented at checkout of which one item will be charged to the guest and the 2nd item will be discounted by its full retail price.
  • A second cents-off coupon of the same type cannot be redeemed towards the purchase price of the first item.
  • If a Target BOGO coupon is used, one additional manufacturer coupon may be used on the first item.
  • If a Manufacturer BOGO coupon is used, one additional Target coupon may be used on the first item.

Returns:
  • Returns of items purchased using Manufacturer Coupons may receive coupon value returned in the form of a Target GiftCard

I usually just repeat the line they gave us in the update info from workbench. I think it goes "I'm sorry, but I'm unable to process this return today. Your repeated behavior of purchasing items to then return them for cash or gift card is considered disruptive and is against targets coupon policy. " they sometimes still get mad, but at least that way the LOd can't call you out for being rude.

I usually just repeat the line they gave us in the update info from workbench. I think it goes "I'm sorry, but I'm unable to process this return today. Your repeated behavior of purchasing items to then return them for cash or gift card is considered disruptive and is against targets coupon policy. " they sometimes still get mad, but at least that way the LOd can't call you out for being rude.

I've had a couple of complaints for wording it similarly to this. They were bullshit "He has no guest service skills! He told me NO!" but even so... I'd rather not have any complaints.

Btw, still super happy about these changes. Our store really cracked down, so I haven't had the pleasure of turning away a couponer in a good week or two, but that just means that they've stopped bothering with trying at our store :D

One of our regular scammers came in today. I told him we're no longer processing his returns. He started cussing me out. It was f this and f that. I was so happy my favorite LOD heard it all and told him to leave the store. I'm so glad all the leaders and AP are supporting us with this policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back