Archived Coupons Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been GS for a while now but there's still something that I don't understand.

When couponers come and return stuff with their receipt, clearly using coupons, are we supposed to take the amount the coupon is for off the total refund?

Say they bought four toothpastes for 3 dollars each using four 2 dollar coupons. Their refund would be 12 dollars but since they used coupons, they only paid 4 dollars for everything. So if I give them the whole return it's like I'm giving them free money. I know it's just 8 dollars but something about couponers who do this just pisses me off. Wouldn't it be considered fraud or something like that? Or is there something I'm just not getting?

Last edited:
Follow the POS

If a coupon/giftcard was tied to a certain item, and said item was returned, the POS will adjust the return amount.

For most manufacturer coupons, Target will get reimbursed.

I don't work in guest services anymore, but that is what we used to do if it was obvious which coupon was being used on which item. Say, for example, it was a couponer who bought 20 Crest whitening strips in 5 transactions with 4 per transaction because of the 4 identical coupon limit. However, I learned on here that that isn't what you're supposed to do, you just need to follow the prompts. There's nothing wrong with returning couponed merchandise, it's only a problem if it's coupons were used fraudulently.

I think at this point though we just decline any returns involving coupons. I know that for a while we weren't accepting any HBA returns because they were the most targeted section by fraudulent couponers.

Also, they ask for gift receipts so the coupon amount doesn't show anyhow.

Also, they ask for gift receipts so the coupon amount doesn't show anyhow.

Yeah, we stopped accepting gift receipt returns for questionable items real quick. There was a communication during Q4 last year (I forget if it was Redwire, Workbench, or something that was emailed to GSA/GSTLs) about how to combat fraudulent couponers and their returns, basically explicitly authorizing anyone with the LOD's permission to deny any return for a suspect return. Technically, we've always been able to do this as we reserve the right to refuse a return for any reason, but it was nice to have direct guidance as to how to address the issue straight from corporate. The entire front end team let out a collective sigh of relief when I passed around the memo.

True, but in CA (and possibly other states), they can cash out the gift cards if they're under a certain amount.

That, and there were also those giftcard cashing machines that I've seen at some malls. Also giftcard selling and such.

With the gift receipt thing, you can just look up the transaction on insidePOS (which can be done on a myDevice! I think it's just insidepos.target.com). Also, if they paid with a card, you can either 1) deny the return based on the fact that the return doesn't have a receipt, or 2) scan the card, then scan one item, hit K-whatever to see receipts, then look it up on insidePOS using that receipt ID.

As for the OP, you cannot change the value of the return. There are two ways to combat this type of "guest", but you have to make sure it is either a repeat offender or it is completely 100% obvious abuse if a first timer. The first (best, but hardest) way to do it is to just flat out deny the coupons during the sale. The second is to deny the return. Even if they have the receipt, every item is flawlessly still packaged, within the return-by date, everything is perfect, it doesn't matter. If they have a bunch of manufacturer coupons, we're allowed to deny the return for that exact reason. Target said we could and my whole store jumped for joy when we read that memo.

When did you get the memo?
Last August. It's essentially just a change in the coupon policy. You should be able to search "clarified coupon policy" on workbench and find it, I hope. The main points are these:

" We reserve the right to accept, refuse, or limit the use of any coupon and/or the subsequent return of items purchased with coupons.
 Guests that exhibit behavior that is designed to profit from the practice of redeeming coupons and returning items purchased with coupons may be refused."

The first point, taken literally, says we can just tell people we don't want to take their coupons (or the return) and we don't even have to have a reason behind it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back