Covering an ETL?

The fact you would lose any OT if you moved up to an ETL is why no TL at my store wants to become one.

It's like you work at McDonald's and they make you a manager but lose OT pay.

So basically you get 40% more hours but only 10% more pay overall.

The fact you would lose any OT if you moved up to an ETL is why no TL at my store wants to become one.

It's like you work at McDonald's and they make you a manager but lose OT pay.

So basically you get 40% more hours but only 10% more pay overall.

This is a really big reason why I never really went after ETL.

As a Sr. I was making FAR more than my ETL while working the same amount of hours (50/week during 4th q)

So long as the TL isn't criminally underpaid, I assure you if this TL is pulling 10-15 hours of OT a week, they're making more than an ETL anyway.

The pay isn't the issue. If the person wants to get promoted, it's the title. They can code someone as an "acting".
This is way off.

40+(15*1.5) = 62.5
62.5*19=$1,187.5*52=$61,750

ETL's do not make less than that.

This is way off.

40+(15*1.5) = 62.5
62.5*19=$1,187.5*52=$61,750

ETL's do not make less than that.

A team lead making 19 dollars an hour is being criminally underpaid. I made far more than that, over half a decade ago.

Edit: I would wager a guess that most ETLs start in the 65 range, which is similar to what a TL making 23/hr at 10 hours of overtime a week would be making.

Last edited:
A team lead making 19 dollars an hour is being criminally underpaid. I made far more than that, over half a decade ago.

Edit: I would wager a guess that most ETLs start in the 65 range, which is similar to what a TL making 23/hr at 10 hours of overtime a week would be making.
Depends on the cost of living. I bet a good percentage of TLs make $19.00 because all the pay increases wiped out any raises, even for those of us who have been with Target for a decade.

Depends on the cost of living. I bet a good percentage of TLs make $19.00 because all the pay increases wiped out any raises, even for those of us who have been with Target for a decade.
I think the ONE of reasons they hire 22 year olds with no experience to be an ETL that they would NOT TAKE a TL job that pays $17 or $19.

Then again that group of people is only qualifed to be a TL.

I believe the pay range for an ETL has to vary greatly depending on experience because of the outsides hires they have in our store.

19/hr wasn't worth the hassle when I was a Sr. years ago, I'm sure it's even less so now. People are crazy.

What is "Sr."?
Senior Team Lead. They were a higher paygrade and they would be considered an lod and have keys and codes to the building. Now all team leads are that paygrade and its up to SDs discretion on who gets codes and keys

$19/hr is pretty good money for an hourly manager. At my former job I made $17/hr as a Lead; the highest-paid Lead made just under $19.

I once inquired about an Assistant Manager position at a Lindt Chocolate store in the local mall - starting pay was $11.00!

$19/hr is pretty good money for an hourly manager. At my former job I made $17/hr as a Lead; the highest-paid Lead made just under $19.

I once inquired about an Assistant Manager position at a Lindt Chocolate store in the local mall - starting pay was $11.00!
I am sure anyone they hire at that rate won't stay long or is terrible.

My nephew's girlfriend works at a video rental store (yes they still exist) and there starting pay is $8.00 an hour!

I realize that is is small town but ANY other job in the area pays $10.00 minimum.

"Come join our amazing team at LowBall Inc., we're looking for 22-24 year olds with MBAs and 40 years of experience to manage 100 people for $14 an hour"

Up next: you need a PhD in 12th level defecation theory to wipe your own ass 👌

To put things into perspective, when I left retail, I worked as an hourly employee writing field reports and doing data entry. The job required nothing but a high school diploma, was 100 times easier than retail, M-F 9-5 schedule, and that started at 26/hr.

I recognize this is a little bit of and edge case, but in most areas there are jobs at 20+/hr that require just a diploma and have no management duties. I can't fathom how Target can get people to stay for 17-19/hr.

To put things into perspective, when I left retail, I worked as an hourly employee writing field reports and doing data entry. The job required nothing but a high school diploma, was 100 times easier than retail, M-F 9-5 schedule, and that started at 26/hr.

I recognize this is a little bit of and edge case, but in most areas there are jobs at 20+/hr that require just a diploma and have no management duties. I can't fathom how Target can get people to stay for 17-19/hr.
I guess it depends on where you live, as well as what one is willing to do. One of my sisters works for a medical equipment company and makes about $22/hr to sit at a desk all day and answer emails and provide quotes to clients. Sounds like torture to me, but she's been working from home since March so that's a benefit.

My husband sits at a desk in a distribution center and makes good money, and my other sister helps customers pick out bathroom fixtures and lighting and is WAY overpaid to do so. But again, none of that interests me.

All that said, you couldn't pay me enough money to go back into retail management. Well, maybe you could, because this time I wouldn't care so much, I would just milk that cow until I crashed and burned and then collect. 😜

Back