Archived covering electronics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was sent to cover electronics yesterday and was pretty lost...I've never really been in the area before and didn't know what to do. Thankful it was dead but I have a feeling I'll have to cover someone's break or lunch again. Basically what do I do if I have to answer a guest call? I have no knowledge of electronics so I'm afraid I won't have answers.

Pretend you can't hear them and hang up.

Seriously though, even if you get full training in electronics, they aren't going to teach you ABOUT electronic items. Luckily most questions people ask can be answered by just reading the box. Most calls will be "Do you have this item in stock."

^That, and make sure you get a MyDevice and the eletronics keys (to open the security "locks") from the person going on break. If you can't get a MyDevice then it's gonna be pretty difficult to help customers (both irl and phone calls... especially as a newbie).

I always look up on the MyDevice what the customer is asking for. If I'm dealing with them irl I say something like "I'm sorry, I have to look it up, I'm new" or on the phone I say "can I put you on hold for a second while I look up the item(/look for the item)?"

A tip, maybe you already know, but you can use the merch locate button and price inquiry on the cash register (but you need the DPCI).

Do reshop/gobacks, it's a good way to learn where everything is.

You don't have to know everything so don't stress out about it (no one can know everything, anyway).

If the customer asks for a TV or something that you can't find, just call for an LOD or call for help (or someone you know that's nice/helpful and on the floor)... or look for any TM near you.

If a customer asks you to open up an item that costs more than $50 (or it might be $100, I'm not too sure, but let's say $50 to be safe :p) to see the stuff inside... you need to call the LOD and have them open it.

Also, when a customer asks me about anything regarding phones I just direct them to the Target Mobile person. If they're not there (since they're hours are short), I do try to help, but you can only help so much, especially if they're asking about plans.

For the guest calls, 99.9% chance that they're just asking about items in the store ("how many of ____ do you have left?" "do you have ____? can you hold it for me?" so having a MyDevice is incredibly handy. It's really hard for me to help them without a MyDevice.

This may be ASANTS, but my store lets TMs use their own smartphones to look up items (in the Target app). It sucks because it doesn't show the shelf location, but it does show the aisle # and DPCI.

Last edited:
If I am only covering electronics, I go about my normal job and respond to call buttons or radio calls for a guest needing help in electronics. If you need help pulling something from lockup, ask a BRTM. Remember, if a guest is purchasing something locked up, they have to purchase the item at the electronics register.

Seriously though, even if you get full training in electronics, they aren't going to teach you ABOUT electronic items. Luckily most questions people ask can be answered by just reading the box. Most calls will be "Do you have this item in stock."
Thanks! I should've clarified but what I meant to say was that I don't know much about the electronics area...like where things are or how things are done around there.

^That, and make sure you get a MyDevice and the eletronics keys (to open the security "locks") from the person going on break. If you can't get a MyDevice then it's gonna be pretty difficult to help customers (both irl and phone calls... especially as a newbie).

I always look up on the MyDevice what the customer is asking for. If I'm dealing with them irl I say something like "I'm sorry, I have to look it up, I'm new" or on the phone I say "can I put you on hold for a second while I look up the item(/look for the item)?"

A tip, maybe you already know, but you can use the merch locate button and price inquiry on the cash register (but you need the DPCI).

Do reshop/gobacks, it's a good way to learn where everything is.

You don't have to know everything so don't stress out about it (no one can know everything, anyway).

If the customer asks for a TV or something that you can't find, just call for an LOD or call for help (or someone you know that's nice/helpful and on the floor)... or look for any TM near you.

If a customer asks you to open up an item that costs more than $50 (or it might be $100, I'm not too sure, but let's say $50 to be safe :p) to see the stuff inside... you need to call the LOD and have them open it.

Also, when a customer asks me about anything regarding phones I just direct them to the Target Mobile person. If they're not there (since they're hours are short), I do try to help, but you can only help so much, especially if they're asking about plans.

For the guest calls, 99.9% chance that they're just asking about items in the store ("how many of ____ do you have left?" "do you have ____? can you hold it for me?" so having a MyDevice is incredibly handy. It's really hard for me to help them without a MyDevice.

This may be ASANTS, but my store let's TMs use their own smartphones to look up items (in the Target app). It sucks because it doesn't show the shelf location, but it does show the aisle # and DPCI.
Thanks so much for all the info! Electronics is the only place in store I have no experience being in so it makes me a little nervous and the TM I was covering just told me to stand at the register. One question, when you put something on hold you take it up to guest services right? I still never figured that one out

Wow! I had to cover electronics for the first time today as well, and I was just about to ask the questions.

Make sure you let your tl or electronics tm know that you have not been there before. I would take a few minutes & show what you need to know, as others have stated.

Thanks so much for all the info! Electronics is the only place in store I have no experience being in so it makes me a little nervous and the TM I was covering just told me to stand at the register. One question, when you put something on hold you take it up to guest services right? I still never figured that one out
I've brought stuff up to GS, but a lot of other TMs seem to hold stuff at the electronics desk/booth (aka. "the boat")

I was sent to cover electronics yesterday and was pretty lost...I've never really been in the area before and didn't know what to do. Thankful it was dead but I have a feeling I'll have to cover someone's break or lunch again. Basically what do I do if I have to answer a guest call? I have no knowledge of electronics so I'm afraid I won't have answers.

I only get asked to cover electronics as a last resort because I don't know the majority of the products and I'm a very weak seller. But when I do have to cover, if it's not busy, I work on whatever re-shop or push needs to be done. Working electronics re-shop helps you to get to know where some of the products are located. If you need to know about a product but the packaging doesn't have helpful info, look it up on the Target app and view additional details (if the guest really wants to know more than that, they'll have to wait until the electronics TM gets back from break or you can ask a leader).

I've brought stuff up to GS, but a lot of other TMs seem to hold stuff at the electronics desk/booth (aka. "the boat")

At my store, electronics holds are locked up at the boat for security reasons and so the electronics TM doesn't have to leave the area to go to guest service.

At my store, electronics holds are locked up at the boat for security reasons and so the electronics TM doesn't have to leave the area to go to guest service.
Yeah, I've been holding stuff at the boat recently, it's more convenient that way too.

Yeah, I've been holding stuff at the boat recently, it's more convenient that way too.
What exactly is the boat? I've never seen it around the electronics area? I'm guessing it's somewhere near the register?

What exactly is the boat? I've never seen it around the electronics area? I'm guessing it's somewhere near the register?

It's the service counter where the register is. If you have an older-style boat, it has the cameras on it.

Try to give extremely obscure answers and speak in circles. Next thing you know your AAR is through the roof and your work center changes to elc! Its all in the verbal horse shit!

I was thrown over to electronics to cover a few weeks back. It was a really slow night, thankfully. I helped a couple of guests out with TVs (almost got those service plans too) and headphones (just say no to Beats! lol). Anywho, it wasn't harrowing or anything but I didn't appreciate walking through the door to be told that I was covering electronics that evening. smdh The Mobile guy was around for an hour after I got there and he helped a lot and I had to feel my way around the electronics backroom but other than that it was cool. Oh! I had to zone and do the reshop up and down the E and F aisles and respond to the 6 or 7 call boxes in the area (thankfully, only two were pushed).

So I'm still a wreck at covering electronics and I had a question...we have a backroom near the electronics center which is small and I'm not even sure what items are held back there. But if a customer wants something pulled and I call for backroom but it's actually in the smaller one near electronics do they head up to electronics and pull it themselves or do I pull it? I don't know how to pull items so that wouldn't go so well...

So I'm still a wreck at covering electronics and I had a question...we have a backroom near the electronics center which is small and I'm not even sure what items are held back there. But if a customer wants something pulled and I call for backroom but it's actually in the smaller one near electronics do they head up to electronics and pull it themselves or do I pull it? I don't know how to pull items so that wouldn't go so well...
Hit the take option on my device & grab the the item.

If you're not trained on pulling items, don't do it. Call your friendly neighborhood backroom team member.

You have no idea how many times I've done this for various reasons in all departments...
Guest phone is too crackly to understand... old lady won't stop talking... demanding bakery guest wants too many details for a cake order... accent too thick to comprehend...
the list goes on and on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back