COVID-19 COVID return policy

*Date subject to change
Because, lets be real, it wouldn't shock me if the date is extended again. Its probably going to be awhile

My cynical side has another devious angle to this: limit product returns, other than for verifiably defective items, to only Redcard users! 😈
All of those pretentious Karens who use airline rewards cards - and brag about all those fancy "free" airline trips and upgrades to Service Advocates - to get off their duff, apply for and use Redcards - or put up and shut up.

Last edited:
Today, more than once, the leaders at our store told me they regard the April 27th date for resuming returns & exchanges as tentative and subject to change. That is what we are now supposed to tell our guests.

I would hope that if anyone at Corporate is listening, if there's another COVID extension on returns & exchanges, PLEASE make the new date at least another three weeks out so we're not confusing our guests even more. If I were asked for input, I'd suggest Tuesday, May 26th, the day after Memorial Day. If the COVID-19 pandemic conditions improve sooner, Target can always change the date back to an earlier date, but continuing these short "bleeding by a thousand cuts" extensions is going to hurt guest loyalty in the future.

I really hope they refuse to accept all the things on the high demand list. TP, canned goods, thermometers, medication. I will certainly be a bitch to these people.
Exactly, they wanted it/ needed it so badly. Would love to say now you’re stuck with it! Hmmm. Maybe you should donate!

Anybody here expect chaos on Monday, April 27th? This is in addition to people who misinterpret the signage to think returns/exchanges start on Sunday, April 26th. This is because Corporate's signage uses vague weasel-words "from March 26th to April 26th" instead of a more specific "from March 26th through April 26th". I have a feeling we'll have a few annoyed guests arguing over the semantics.

Yep it's gonna be a mess I think. We've been trying to say you can return again on Monday the 27th so it's a bit more clear.

I really don't think they will extend it this time. You also can't defect anything unless something is wrong so don't be like "I'll just salvage this" I think clothing or anything soft should be but you know multipurpose cleaner is legit...

Anybody here expect chaos on Monday, April 27th? This is in addition to people who misinterpret the signage to think returns/exchanges start on Sunday, April 26th. This is because Corporate's signage uses vague weasel-words "from March 26th to April 26th" instead of a more specific "from March 26th through April 26th". I have a feeling we'll have a few annoyed guests arguing over the semantics.
I am on the schedule for guest service on Sunday 4/26 precisely to help handle returns (not my usual workstation).
So my store at least is expecting to do returns beginning Sunday 4/26. Which makes sense, as Sunday is the beginning of our week and not Monday.

There's a huge list of instructions that my SETL printed out for all GSTMs to read.

Z-racks for all clothing that will have quarantine dates of 3 days....rolled to the backroom and kept until they can be worked by Style team. Bins for soft goods like pillows and comforters also dated and put in backroom. Hard items will be immediately disinfected and put back on the floor.

GS will be doing all of the returns, sorting and disinfecting plus OPUs and DU (at my store anyway) so yeah, there is potential for a big headache come Monday.

I really don't think they will extend it this time. You also can't defect anything unless something is wrong so don't be like "I'll just salvage this" I think clothing or anything soft should be but you know multipurpose cleaner is legit...
I’m erring on the side of defect/keeping guests safe. If my leads don’t like it, they can let me know.

^^ And that's why there is a 3 day quarantine....to keep the guests safe. So unless it's visibly defective or has a strong odor, you shouldn't be salvaging it.

Following your logic, a good chunk of Style should therefore be defected since guests have been rummaging through it since the virus even became a thing. I'm not sure how that is any different than bringing in a item of clothing from their homes and putting it in a quarantined state for 3 days.

Gs doesn't have to disinfectant items that are being salvage, crc, or tossed. This will be an issue with bulk items like tvs, vacuums, microwaves, furniture, or any large item. So many times I have to restack these items in order to build a stable pallet. What could go wrong?? When you think about these items come in contact with other boxes that are already on the pallet.

Gs doesn't have to disinfectant items that are being salvage, crc, or tossed. This will be an issue with bulk items like tvs, vacuums, microwaves, furniture, or any large item. So many times I have to restack these items in order to build a stable pallet. What could go wrong?? When you think about these items come in contact with other boxes that are already on the pallet.

A friend of mine works for the post office. They say the virus doesn't live more than an hour on paper.

^^ And that's why there is a 3 day quarantine....to keep the guests safe. So unless it's visibly defective or has a strong odor, you shouldn't be salvaging it.

Following your logic, a good chunk of Style should therefore be defected since guests have been rummaging through it since the virus even became a thing. I'm not sure how that is any different than bringing in a item of clothing from their homes and putting it in a quarantined state for 3 days.
I didn't provide any logic to follow :) I simply said I'm erring on the side of defect (like if I have to wonder if it should be defected or not, I'm defecting), not that I'm defecting everything that comes back.

My only objection to taking returns is.. my state is under the stay at home...ALL non-essential Are a no go! So, if I’m still having to wear my covid gear and work to provide essentials... pretty sure making a return isn’t essential business. Yes, you may need your money back but it also poses the question why were you purchasing nonessential when it’s against the law ?

But all returns needs to be quarantined for 72h and not just salvage if it’s nothing wrong with it .

Back