Archived Creating a Personal MyDevice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets say, purely for imagination, one had an ipod and sled, or was willing to purchase one at an attractive price.

As a result, they would have the hardware, but not the software, necessary to create a functioning MyDevice.

Is there anyway to download and upload the software through workbench, etc?

The ipods are running a lot of custom programs, "maybe" even a custom ROMs. There are also configurations that need to be loaded by administrators specific to the store. These can be done over the phone I belive by my support, but either way there is no way to slip in your own device un-noticed. Also you don't want those sleds, those things are a money pit.

I wouldn't mind being "noticed." I'm certain no one at my store would care.

I have the financial resources to by a sled and ipod and would like a personal mydevice. I have etl friends that I think could help me make this happen. Is there any way, granted that I have all the ETL's approval and STL's approval, for me to take a random ipod and sled and turn it into a mydevice?

If you have all that, then you can probably just have them order it from their supplier and get one configured by them. Seriously though, when were talking like $600, how your job going to get $600 better? How are you going to make up that lost pay check?

Humor me, RunForACallBox. Lets get some creativity flowin here.

The point, of course, is to have a MyDevice that I can reliably access. Unfortunately, our store never has any MyDevices available. I would like to have one available to me at all times and am willing to throw down the skrilla to accomplish that.

If you have all that, then you can probably just have them order it from their supplier and get one configured by them.
My job will get $600.00 worth of utility more awesome. Lets say they couldn't order it, btw. I already ordered one and it got denied by district. Lets say they spent too much on MyDevices already, and that the district is unwilling to sign off on anymore.

SAP. Of SAP. Why do you deny me thy myDevices.

Actually the reason it was denied is probably because they are being discontinued. The ipods are not going to be in our future. I have no idea what they are replacing it with, but I wouldn't be surprised if the likes of motorola have a full blown android based replacement for all their old windows CE based work floor PDAs.

Nooo daemon, you are going on a tangent. I just want a device.

You can have mine. the less work I can to do the better. "whats that? need me to research? sorry. Pull my batch? get backroom.. they have PDAs. Push this cart? Gonna take me the rest of my shift while i compare all the DPCIs!

In any case, a little theory...

myDevices at my store suffer from a classic Tragedy of the Commons.

There is a sign out log, however, there is an incentive not to sign this log if possible. After all, if you do not sign out your myDevice, no one will know that you checked it out and therefore you will be free from blame if you lose it. Our sign out log is rarely watched. In addition; our overnight ETL's rarely lock the cabinet granting access to the myDevices.

The correct system would tie the TM's interest to the community interest.

In any case, a little theory...

myDevices at my store suffer from a classic Tragedy of the Commons.

There is a sign out log, however, there is an incentive not to sign this log if possible. After all, if you do not sign out your myDevice, no one will know that you checked it out and therefore you will be free from blame if you lose it. Our sign out log is rarely watched. In addition; our overnight ETL's rarely lock the cabinet granting access to the myDevices.

The correct system would tie the TM's interest to the community interest.
They can check who was the last person logged on the my device to find out unless that person is using someone else's TM #.

Corrective action at most though. Eh, not too much risk.

Incentives...

The value of the action against the TM must be equal to the value of the myDevice. If the TM only pays a $100 worth of penalty, then he will not care an appropriate amount about a $600 myDevice.

Spot would fired you & might arrest you for hacking into a spot computer.
^^^This.
Years ago had a fellow backroom TM find the manual for the PDAs (why it was even in the store and in the backroom I can't tell you). He was taking programming at the local college and figured out how to hack into a PDA.

He created a message that said something like: Internal malfunction: This device will self-destruct in 5 minutes. Clear the area and take cover.

He then had it pop up on another TM's PDA screen. The TM panics and runs the PDA outside and puts it on the ground in front of the TM entrance door. A couple of TMs stand around and watch it until the LOD comes out and picks it up and takes it back inside.

It was no more than 15 minutes that the TM did the hack that IS from corporate is on the phone asking, "What the hell is going on there?" (BTW, this was a Saturday).

That TM was immediately sent home and termed the next day.

So, if you try doing what you are talking about, you will be termed along with whoever gives you assistance.

Deli has its own MyDevice with a different unlock code (so it's useless to anyone outside of Deli) because we use it to record temperatures every 2 hours. If you can convince your leadership that you really need your own, they might be able to customize one that your store already has. We had one TM who claimed to be a germaphobe and he managed to get his own designated MyDevice because of it... I suspect he had a doctor's note for that, though.

My district won't even let us keep a spare mydevice and a single mydevice in the AP office so I doubt this would ever happen

It won't work simply for the basic fact that the mydevice is formatted with a security software feature that wipes the entire OS entirely clean of all data when it is disconnected from its transmitted stores wifi. If you're a TL you can just ask to keep one at your desk.

I just wish I could create a spare PDA to avoid fighting over one in the morning. PDA equipment control is terrible at my store. Everyone hides them in the backroom. I found 2 PDAs one time while closing.
Our TL tried hard to get a locked case in the backroom with a charge terminal and PDAs when we got 5 brand new ones in last month. DTL shot it down though. ETL and STL were all for it. Our store actually has 15 PDAs

Our TL tried hard to get a locked case in the backroom with a charge terminal and PDAs when we got 5 brand new ones in last month. DTL shot it down though. ETL and STL were all for it. Our store actually has 15 PDAs

We actually had a room in the back by receiving where we had pda's only for BR. Lasted about a month when a SF tm saw a BR tm get one so he went in saw all the pdas and distributed them to SF -_- that was the end of that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back