Stand around.
Discuss their lunch plans.
Drink Starbucks coffee.
Bark orders on the walkie.
Micromanage.
Hang around at TSC/team lead offices.

There's more, but those are among them.
Also:
Watch things going to Hell in a handbasket without uttering a negative word about Spot, corporate, Modernization or anything else that Spot swears by but isn’t working.
Drink corporate’s kool-aid by the gallon.
Blame the team for the leader’s own mistakes.
Believe that positive reinforcement is a waste of time.
Schedule team members four hours a week for several months a year and think they can survive on that paycheck, then wonder why the store can’t keep a staff.

At my store, anyway.☹️

work yourself to the bone
support every department including your own
watch the people you try and protect either disappear with little hours because you can’t make it happen for them or watch them burn out because they keep getting scheduled past their max hours
keep getting told you need to squeeze more blood from a bunch of dry stones
wonder when you are going to have enough time to do everything that needs to be done
realize that you will feel guilty as fuck for taking a vacation so you just don’t

Stand around.
Drink Starbucks coffee.
Micromanage.

Ignore time off requests and blame employee for not coming to you begging for the day off and force them to cancel plans or find coverage for your laziness.

watch the people you try and protect either disappear with little hours because you can’t make it happen for them or watch them burn out because they keep getting scheduled past their max hours
wonder when you are going to have enough time to do everything that needs to be done
realize that you will feel guilty as fuck for taking a vacation so you just don’t
You forgot the sarcasm font.

Stand around.
Drink Starbucks coffee.
Micromanage.

Pretty much, I can do that easily but I won’t be abusive about it.

Same thing with availability requests...because "business needs."

Why mine is locked down tight. There are no exceptions. When asked if I can open it up. No, to many previous ETL's have ignored it and tried to schedule me against my availability even when there were scheduled approved days off and the system I know flags that but they did it anyway. Forcing me to scramble and fix it. I can't fix your mistakes so I have made it easy no exceptions to my schedule.

Treat the one good TL left in the store as your lapdog, making them look like the bad guy as they give out your orders, your talkings-to, your bad news, etc. while you sit in your office thinking how everyone must love you because you bring in treats once in a while and never say anything to anyone face-to-face but a fake cheery hello.

1. Stand around talking with the other TLs, ETLs, store director.
2. Pretend to look like you are working when you really are not.
3. Discuss your lunch plans with the other TLs, ETLs, store director for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour.
4. Hang around the team lead office and TSC.
5. Constantly bitch on the walkie talkie rather than helping and doing some work.
6. Be completely unqualified and only got the job because you were a college intern or you have drunk so much Kool-Aid you pee red.
7. Bother the team members that are actually working with nonsense and crap no one cares about.

My store has an ETL that got the job as a college intern who is completely unqualified, incredibly lazy, and I have not met a team member that actually likes her.

3. Discuss your lunch plans with the other TLs, ETLs, store director for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour.
5. Constantly bitch on the walkie talkie rather than helping and doing some work.
6. Be completely unqualified and only got the job because you were a college intern or you have drunk so much Kool-Aid you pee red.
7. Bother the team members that are actually working with nonsense and crap no one cares about.

My store has an ETL that got the job as a college intern who is completely unqualified, incredibly lazy, and I have not met a team member that actually likes her.
Nos. 1, 6 and 7 sounds like my last ETL.

This would be me. That's why I'll stay a TM. TMs appreciate this kind of TL, but often the leadership doesn't realize what they have, and treats them badly. They don't last too long, usually transferred out to support another store (after working your butt off to get this store in a decent place) or gets burned out and leaves Target.

Last edited:

You are soooooo wrong with #6. Pee purple. The koolaid is grape.

I don't think you can be promoted if you are on a CA

we've promoted unqualified softlines TMs to GSA > GSTL > Consumables TL > SBUX > ETL GM. this company us only consistent with being inconsistent on how they apply their own rules. The Company will do as it pleases how it please when it pleases, and if a few of die in the course of that so be it.

Back