Archived Criticised due to culture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I just got promoted to tl but many people from management don't think I'm good because of my different way of doing things. An etl just told me that I should know about the "target culture" by now and that if I continue to act the way I do, things aren't going to turn out well for me in the end. I thought that was ridiculous since I finish all my work on time, exceed expectations, and my team thinks I'm a great leader as well. Do I have to turn myself into a loud, bubbly guy that socializes with management to not get screwed over? What are my options? Thanks

Props to you for being different at least. Most leadership at my store is exactly the same, when guests are around they're all "Oh my gosh can I help you find anything today?" But the second they walk away it's "Did you hear about [Enter a TM's name here]".
They're all trying to suck up to each other to move up in the chains. I personally say that you stay as you are, if it's not the fate for you to be a TL then so be it. Don't change yourself just so other TL's accept you, nobody made a difference by fitting in.

Oh, this is fun.
You need to jump all over this.
Don't let them use such a blanket concept to critique your work, especially when they are threatening your job.
I recommend that you ask for specifics, exact things that you can do to improve the way you are doing your job and how they differ from what you are doing now.
Also, get them in writing.
When people are throwing around bullshit terms like culture and brand, it means they don't like what you are doing but don't have solid evidence for proving you wrong.
If they can provide you with things to change, do it immediately, don't argue even if they seem petty and stupid.
Some of them will probably seem contradictory and even made up, just do it.
Turn in the list of the changes you have made, once again on paper so there is proof.
This whole thing sounds a railroad job, don't let it happen.
Keep records of everything that is said and done.

Good lord almighty gimme strength. When I had my sit down talk with ETL-LOG i was specifically informed that leadership with target is not about fullfilling processes and all about expanding upon brand and culture. That immediately turned me off. And let me know why the actual work is so hard and why our store fails lol. ETLs now try to include me in some strange clique theyve got. The way they speak to eachother creeps me out. They dont care about TMs, i hear them bash them more than I want. It's sickening, these people are not leaders and thats why they fail so much, theyre followers. Maybe I'm just growing bitter toward the job.

I'm a country boy who gets shit done at work and more at home.

Last edited:
Well, what have people been telling you that you have been doing wrong. Or, since you're supposed to be assimilating into Target culture - what are your opportunities?

I've experienced many TMs be promoted from TM to TL and keep the TM mindset. From what you said, it seems like you're being too task-oriented (TM duties) and not focusing enough time on development/communication (TL duties). The TL I'm currently mentoring is having trouble getting out of the TM mindset and stepping back from tasky work, which is keeping them from noticing a variety of things that are going wrong around them.

They have been asking me to be more vocal, smile more, become more upbeat etc... What is the development/ communication part? Can you explain what they are (tl duties)? So basically less working more talking? Lol

This is the unifying trait that is dragging the entire company down. ETLs that are actually leaders and not just cheerleaders are few and far between. The ones that do show any sort of leadership skills are usually run off as quickly as possible.

I've experienced many TMs be promoted from TM to TL and keep the TM mindset.

Yup this is the issue with my stores A&A lead. She is too buddy buddy and needs to start managing her team. Your team should respect you, if they like you but don't respect you it's an issue.

As far as the OP, I would find a leader you trust to get honest feedback

They have been asking me to be more vocal, smile more, become more upbeat etc... What is the development/ communication part? Can you explain what they are (tl duties)? So basically less working more talking? Lol

What I take that to mean is sometimes it's easy to get caught up whatever task you're currently working on and fail to notice that other tasks are being neglected.

So as a TL, you have to be able to maintain focus on the bigger picture of your department. That isn't to say you don't get involved and help complete the overall workload, just don't get too wrapped up in individual tasks that you fail to notice fires cropping up elsewhere and thus neglect to put them out.

Metaphorical fires.

Yup this is the issue with my stores A&A lead. She is too buddy buddy and needs to start managing her team. Your team should respect you, if they like you but don't respect you it's an issue.

As far as the OP, I would find a leader you trust to get honest feedback
This is the issue with the new work center I'm getting. We have leaders there that are focused on completing the tasks themselves while the rest of the work center is busted and tms trying to fix things with little direction.

I've experienced many TMs be promoted from TM to TL and keep the TM mindset. From what you said, it seems like you're being too task-oriented (TM duties) and not focusing enough time on development/communication (TL duties). The TL I'm currently mentoring is having trouble getting out of the TM mindset and stepping back from tasky work, which is keeping them from noticing a variety of things that are going wrong around them.

The TL you're mentoring sounds a lot like me

There is some great advice in this thread and I thank you for it. I think I've been focusing too much on tasks as well. Also, I'm sure my team likes me but does not respect me as a leader. I'm ready to make some changes but I'm sure where to start.

Start with your GSAs. What can be delegated to them? What can you teach them? Which ones aren't pulling their weight? Dont just rely on the strong ones, while others coast. Coach, train, and hold them accountable. Can you feel comfortable going on vacation for 2 weeks and leaving them to run things?

There is a ton of good advice here so thanks for that but I would say my work/leadership is pretty solid for the most part since we always get the work done/ maintain brand. All my team members were trained by me as well so I make sure that they know what the expectation is. It's more of the "target culture" part that they bash me on and I don't understand. I talked to another etl and he mentioned being more vocal, upbeat, etc around the team but I'm always positive. What is the "target culture" exactly.

Well, I guess Fast, Fun, and Friendly with a major focus on guests.
Is there on of four you might be missing?
If you are GSD and not taking care of guests in the process, that might be a problem.
If you are knocking stuff out but there aren't smiles all round they might consider that a deal.
It wasn't a deal when I was there but lately there seems to be an emphasis on social media too.
Posting your beautiful aisles on Instagram etc.
All of this is absolute bullshit but it's all I can think of.

Yeah, I believe I pretty much brought it down to the smiles all round part. I mean i give guests my full attention and had guests ask if they could speak to a manager a handfull of times after helping them out. I even have guests that visit my work center to say hi everytime they shop at our store but I guess none of that matters since I'm caught not smiling sometimes. I have been asked to smile more, etc since I got promoted. As long as your friendly and excited to help the guest, why is it such a big deal to have a neutral face on sometimes. Do I have to smile the whole shift...?

Oh, not just you but your team as well.
Having resting bitch face (or in my case resting FUCK OFF AND DIE face) is bad, bad, bad.
There is a reason they hire a certain type straight out of college.
These are young, men and women with energy so they can be used up and spit out but most of all Spot wants that look.
Lots of teeth, easy smiles, glowing, gladhanding, the kind of guys who call you boss and ran track, the kind of women who were in a sorority and dress with confidence.
This doesn't mean they will be bad bosses.
However, it does mean their priorities will be skewed.

Oh... I knew that it was an issue but I didn't know it was THAT big of an issue. So from now on I'm going to try to put a smile on my face my whole shift especially around management. It's hard to do when your so used to having a neutral facial expression, especially when your working and not concious of you facial expression...

I think about the " culture " at my store a lot.
It could be a lot better. I wish people cared more.

I love a lot of my fellow TMs though. They help me get through the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back