Archived Curiosity is killing me, cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I can tell, more info about official rollouts for modernization are being released. Leadership is not budging on transparency. Just a dibbit here and there. Probably, with good reason since Q4 is biting at our toes.
However, some things have seeped through the cracks, and I've traversed the end to end pilot thread to no avail. Its extremely diluted.

Looking for any new developments in leadership changes or process updates, or docs someone is willing to share from being a pilot.

From what I can tell, more info about official rollouts for modernization are being released. Leadership is not budging on transparency. Just a dibbit here and there. Probably, with good reason since Q4 is biting at our toes.
However, some things have seeped through the cracks, and I've traversed the end to end pilot thread to no avail. Its extremely diluted.

Looking for any new developments in leadership changes or process updates, or docs someone is willing to share from being a pilot.

Yeaaaahhh good luck getting that modernization information on this site.

1. You just joined so you could be any weirdo wanting priority information
2. You didn't specify what work center
3. If by some weird chance your an actual TM at a store, I'd talk to your TL or ETL

Go on workbench...

Where? The only updates I've see are Q4 guides.

I guess I'm trying to guess how to they will supplement plano/pricing into end to end. Kind of defeats the purpose of guest focus you know?

Just having SPLs are tough sometimes on top of truck, pulls, push, audit, and backstock.

Well we all know Plano and Pricing are being eliminated so it's a given they'll be absorbed. I just want to know who's going to be responsible for planograms and price changes now dedicated team. We can't even trust my flow team to push correctly let alone take on anything you would need a brain for.

I guess I'm trying to guess how to they will supplement plano/pricing into end to end. Kind of defeats the purpose of guest focus you know?

Just having SPLs are tough sometimes on top of truck, pulls, push, audit, and backstock.
Stores modernization, upper left side.

Well we all know Plano and Pricing are being eliminated so it's a given they'll be absorbed. I just want to know who's going to be responsible for planograms and price changes now dedicated team. We can't even trust my flow team to push correctly let alone take on anything you would need a brain for.

Pricing? Yeah they are just not fucking doing it. My store as of Friday in Hardlines alone had 2200 labels to put up. Softlines seems to do ok with pricing since they took both of the experienced TM's to do it for them. That is what they do in softlines, just keep the pricing handled or close to it. Hardlines? no one gives a fuck. So hardlines is bleeding money. Since those 2200 labels are either price changes up or down means that we are selling things cheaper than we should in most cases.

To be honest, I'm a bit confused when people mention more recent modernization changes too... How is modernization 2.0 different from 1.0?

And as far as I can tell there's still a pretty broad range of "how modernized" stores are... or how strictly they've interpreted things...

At our store our block teams are doing it all... setting the pogs, salesplans, audits, working freight, reshop, backstocking, pulling, zoning, pricing... literally ALL. Aaaannnndddd... we are able to do it, so far. Our freight is pushed by 11 and backstocked as soon as a vehicle is full. Could we use another hand or two? Yes. Could there be better coverage for nights to help with zone and reshop? Yes. Would it be helpful if the night team knew what went on during the day? Yup. The learning curve is much faster than we anticipated, but the block I'm in has some really great tm's and a leader who is willing to learn and willing to listen and is flexible. (Our block team is made up of former backroom, flow, pricing, pog, and salesfloor tm's. We all have learned how to do each other's former jobs.)

Last edited:

That would be up to each store anyway. We will probably be split up so each area has an “expert”

Regardless of what area you have worked in the past or will be assigned to in the future, guest focus should have been your first priority since the day you were hired. I've been with the company close to 20 years. This has not changed since then, so put on your big person khakis, your Target smile, do your work and sell. It's not brain surgery.

Regardless of what area you have worked in the past or will be assigned to in the future, guest focus should have been your first priority since the day you were hired. I've been with the company close to 20 years. This has not changed since then, so put on your big person khakis, your Target smile, do your work and sell. It's not brain surgery.

I'm definitely pro modernization and guest focus. However, the task supports the service and there are many pieces to the puzzle of success. I'm just curious to hear from a pilot store some pointers to place myself in a better position to better train my team so they can remain more guest focused when the time comes.

Your comments clearly come from the annoyance you find in reading so many posts from people who are just anti-modernization, and I agree that if you cant get on board then maybe red isnt your color. However, i love my job, my team, and the direction we are headed.
So really. Just any info on how a pilot is integrating plano pricing into tech/beauty/gm is what I was asking.

Got the guest service part down 👌🏻

At our store our block teams are doing it all... setting the pogs, salesplans, audits, working freight, reshop, backstocking, pulling, zoning, pricing... literally ALL. Aaaannnndddd... we are able to do it, so far. Our freight is pushed by 11 and backstocked as soon as a vehicle is full. Could we use another hand or two? Yes. Could there be better coverage for nights to help with zone and reshop? Yes. Would it be helpful if the night team knew what went on during the day? Yup. The learning curve is much faster than we anticipated, but the block I'm in has some really great tm's and a leader who is willing to learn and willing to listen and is flexible. (Our block team is made up of former backroom, flow, pricing, pog, and salesfloor tm's. We all have learned how to do each other's former jobs.)

This is goood to hear.

To be honest, I'm a bit confused when people mention more recent modernization changes too... How is modernization 2.0 different from 1.0?

And as far as I can tell there's still a pretty broad range of "how modernized" stores are... or how strictly they've interpreted things...

To me, "modernization 1.0" is what is posted on workbench. It started with the grocery OP model and is all the current info available on workbench.

"Modernization 2.0" starts with the recent updates to logistics and AA, with the changes rolling out next year. It's more like another phase. At least to me anyway.

As far as a personal perspective from my store for modernization:

AA is performing all aspects and also perform their own detrash as well. (Still Inbound owned at this point)

Tech is performing new responsibilities for a few months, (truck push, stockroom ownership, plus mobile pilot) the only thing they do not do is plano/pricing. However, are trained in build because they do their own SPLs and frequently assist our plano team.

Beauty is same as tech with additional backroom ownership of cosm aisle.

Pricing? Yeah they are just not fucking doing it. My store as of Friday in Hardlines alone had 2200 labels to put up. Softlines seems to do ok with pricing since they took both of the experienced TM's to do it for them. That is what they do in softlines, just keep the pricing handled or close to it. Hardlines? no one gives a fuck. So hardlines is bleeding money. Since those 2200 labels are either price changes up or down means that we are selling things cheaper than we should in most cases.

We were having same issue and mysupported. Apparently there was a problem and we were extremely underforcasted when schedule was made. So our problem is just trying to absorb the extra payroll generated from the extra tasks

AA is performing all aspects and also perform their own detrash as well. (Still Inbound owned at this point)

My STL told us that inbound will still be owning this with the new process; inboud TL and/or ETL Log are to audit metro + zrack brand daily.

Agreed. You dont see businesses that are well known for customer service doing things like this. When's the last time you saw freight all over nordstroms?
There's a difference between then and now. Guests were the priority back then too, yeah, but tasks were not far behind. It was understood that if tasks weren't done, then no amount of guest service mattered -- there needs to be things on the shelves for guests to buy, otherwise the store goes under. Guests aren't paying for guest service, they're paying for product -- product which is pushed through tasks.

That's out the window entirely now. Guest service is #1-99 in terms of priority, while tasks are pushed to the wayside. And to make matters worse, the new process doubles, even triples the amount of time it takes to complete those tasks.

So it's the same workload as before, but with an absurd focus on guest service and an expectation of still completing tasks, even though they take much longer than before. On paper, that makes zero sense. It's like trying to fit a bigger number into a smaller number -- which is coincidentally what we're being forced to do now with the new softlines profiles. Nothing makes sense.

I still don't buy into E2E. It makes more sense, to me, to have a group dedicated to guest service and a group dedicated to tasks. When you go to the doctor, the receptionist doesn't greet you, then take you into the back to also do surgery on you. The guest facing position is separate from the task position, because it makes sense.

We were having same issue and mysupported. Apparently there was a problem and we were extremely underforcasted when schedule was made. So our problem is just trying to absorb the extra payroll generated from the extra tasks
You need to understand that PC will always fluctuate. Company could forecast 2100 tickets one week and then the following week it jump to 3100. Or it could be the total opposite and be 1100. And the forecast will never include your labels (Majority of the labels are for hardlines but there are sometimes a few in softlines depending on the area). You can view forecast 3 weeks in advance. I print these out each week and compare the flucuations. If there is a huge increase then I communicate to the higher ups that I need to add. The person writing the schedule needs to keep this in mind when scheduling for PC but they won't know that if they don't try to understand PC. It took me a while to figure it out when to schedule heavy and when to work ahead. I understand you think you were undersheduled and you probably were but it takes someone with experience to know that PC has to have open payroll because it is a beast in itself. If you don't take care of it or get ahead of it, it will engulf you until you are so far behind that it will take a while to dig yourself out.

Last edited:
There's a difference between then and now. Guests were the priority back then too, yeah, but tasks were not far behind. It was understood that if tasks weren't done, then no amount of guest service mattered -- there needs to be things on the shelves for guests to buy, otherwise the store goes under. Guests aren't paying for guest service, they're paying for product -- product which is pushed through tasks.

That's out the window entirely now. Guest service is #1-99 in terms of priority, while tasks are pushed to the wayside. And to make matters worse, the new process doubles, even triples the amount of time it takes to complete those tasks.

So it's the same workload as before, but with an absurd focus on guest service and an expectation of still completing tasks, even though they take much longer than before. On paper, that makes zero sense. It's like trying to fit a bigger number into a smaller number -- which is coincidentally what we're being forced to do now with the new softlines profiles. Nothing makes sense.

I still don't buy into E2E. It makes more sense, to me, to have a group dedicated to guest service and a group dedicated to tasks. When you go to the doctor, the receptionist doesn't greet you, then take you into the back to also do surgery on you. The guest facing position is separate from the task position, because it makes sense.
I personally like the dedicated task groups better except that I think E2E is forcing people to better understand the synergy between the task groups which should eventually lead to everything actually working. The tasks don't really take longer, we have fewer people to do those tasks so it seems that it does because it is spread among fewer people. Hours have been cut for those fewer people so getting tasks done while focusing on the guest is difficult. Focus on the guest has not changed any more than the workload has, there are just fewer of us to do it. Unfortunately, the learning curve is greater than the training provided and creates greater turnover, IMO, which leads us to being really stagnant with regard to task completion and making those who are in it long term feeling stressed with the amount of work that is left for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back